Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Style: Foil
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m
Brand Affiliation: None

A15 15m first impressions

Postby kriskris » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Just got my 15 m UL and I was able to finally test it in light enough wind.
I have some experience flying FS 21 few years ago and I can only compare these two kites. A15 in comparison seemed slowish but very powerful. It has enormous amount of grunt once it gets going!
It is surprisingly extremely stable! Never hindenburged on me. Just lurched slowly forward at zenith and swung back slowly. I did not even have to fly it left and right above my had to prevent it from dropping. It just sits above your had.
I launched kite fully inflated with leaf blower and the next day I launched with no intentional preinflation. Both times suicide-completely downwind in tight quarters. Kite was very stable and never flapped the tips (unlike my FS 21) and was fully inflated by the time it reached zenith! It also launched directly up without typical edge of the window dance with mu FS.
No problem with relaunch either. Kite folded on itself as it dropped and It actually relaunched twice without any of my input when I was positioning my foil board not even holding the bar.
I was flying kite alongside my friend on Kitech 15. He has had this for 2 years and knows how to fly it with his foilboard. I think he dropped his kite twice as much because of lulls. In the end we both dragged our kites on water as wind dropped to zero. A15 takes quite a long time to soak significant amount of water. Way longer than kitech.
I had to pull my back lines by hand in order to speed up my turns. I was able to loop kite that way easily but downloop launches with my kitefoil were straightforward scary as shit!!! Also I had problems depowering kite. That is my major complaint for now. So my question is how much of an extension should I add to my back lines to make it depower better? I use regular 4 line 20 inch bar w/21m lines from Core. What bar/line set up do you guys use with A15?
Overall very happy with the kite so far.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: A15 15m first impressions

Postby Laughingman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks for the review. I just ordered one and glad to hear the good and the bad... I am a little concerned about the inability to depower it but as far as turning they do recommend you use a 60cm bar. I am building one specific to this kite so I will be sure to make sure there is lots of trim available.
How much wind did you start out in and what foil are you using with it?

kriskris
Medium Poster

Postby kriskris » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:26 pm

Wind was all over the place. Probably 11 to 6 mph. It dropped completely at the end. I know that limitation of the large foil kites is their wind range. I had the same issue when I used FS 21m with TT and surfboard. That is why I am thinking about increasing back line length or building a bar that will depower better. I just got ONDA (well Sling shot version of it). please do not start me..... this thing is awsome!!!!!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:37 pm

Yah you cannot add length to the back lines without sacrificing power. You can lengthen the amount of trim you have available to you which is basically the same thing as adding length to the back lines but you can let it back out when needed.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:55 am

If the B row(second from front) is not showing slack( lines bowing) at the window edge you have not fully depowered the A15. That said Flysurfer have more depower, but A15 does have depower. Bar throw/trim needed is massive because B is so far back. Think if B is at 50% on cord it needs double the movement than if it was at 25%.

Only 3 options to solve throw/trim. 2:1 bar, mod kite bridles/mixer or get used to it with compatible bar.

kriskris
Medium Poster

Postby kriskris » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks guys. So please comment on my idea. Pulley bar MOD (just like old cabrihna 2007 used on crossbows) would solve a problem of slow speed of the kite. Longer throw on depower line should help to deepen depower. Is this valid solution.
Also I wanted to ask you about Flysurfer race bar. It has 4:1 purchase on depower line. What is the purpose? You could achieve same goal without that pulley purchase. And also it would require a very long depower line unless FS kites have a very short depower throw?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Depower throw is mainly derived from chord length : a15 needs a lot of stroke because it has a large chord.(unlike race kites).

2 : 1 bar will also double the depower throw. Which is good for a15 and its low-efficient depower. To me 2 : 1 bar is good at the beginning with a foil kite. Then xith more practice , when you know it well, you can get rid of it by more anticipation of the turn , pre-line handling, and accept more grunt power .

4 : 1 race trim has absolutelly no interest in your case : less depower stroke for more length of (annoying) floating rope... it is mainly useful for competitors that always change the trim stroke and keep the rope in one hand .

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:11 pm

4:1 will make trim adjust require less force, but have shorter travel as Regis said.

kriskris
Medium Poster

Postby kriskris » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Thank you for all the education! I love this forum and I really appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge!!!
Yea it just dawned on me. Race kites are much higher aspect hence less travel needed for depower vs kite like A15. So I am going to test how B behaves at the edge of the window and I am definitely extending my depower line. I only have shorter bars so I am still tempted to try 2:1 bar.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:47 pm

With kite siting at 12 fully depowered, trim fully pulled in, if B is not slack reach up and grab the front lines or leader or trimmer and pull it down to depower further. You should feel the kite depower more as in pull get less and also observe B go slack.

Return to “Foil Kites”