blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer Soul 15m Repair

Postby blu » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:00 pm

I got about 3" hole in my Soul canopy. Can anyone give me advise on how to repair this?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Flysurfer Soul 15m Repair

Postby foilholio » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:10 am

Similar weight fabric say 32-40grams m2. Best to use precoated kite fabric, you can find it on ebay. Nylon is fine. White is best.

Use 1/2 inch very thin double sided tape. Craft store have it. 2 side by side strips of tape on the fabric near edge, long enough to cover hole with 1/2inch+ overlap at the end. Cut out the fabric tape you now made.

Apply to inside of cut with rip in the middle. Apply one side ( peel one side) of the fabric tape at a time so you can carefully match the other side. If the cut is crooked , just use multiple pieces of the fabric tape and overlap. Good to make some excess for that. Make sure you don't have creases or bubbles when you apply the tape. If you do, redo that bit, best spot it when you first do it as it can throw out aligning later. Use the ripstop lines and frayed fabric to help align the rip. Some rips can be missing a little fabric in the middle. Look at the fray ends to help.

Sew a 3 step zig zag once around the edge of rip, not going into the rip. You want to stay withing the edge of the tape, or more stay in the middle between tape outside and rip. Then the same zig zag along rip twice, with alternating pattern so the zigzags don't match. You want this to hold the rip edge onto the tape, hence zigzags alternate and cross the rip edges more.

If you have trouble getting access thru the kite to the rip to sew or put it together, open(pick stitching) the cell - outer skin(with rip) seam near the rip where there is no internal structures. You want this to be a plain seam (no internal structures) so you can sewn it back together easy. Avoid opening the TE as the seam there is complicated. You should be able to sewn the seam, and gain general access thru the vents LE and TE and holes in the cell walls.

Repairing foils is not easy.

For a quick temporary repair that actually lasts a while, you can just apply sail tape inside and out. Some people use sail tape and stitch it, but the weights of it are wrong and it has no coating so porous.

blu
Medium Poster

Postby blu » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:39 am

foilhoilo thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation, would love to see the video on youtube but can't find any

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:08 am

blu wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:00 pm
I got about 3" hole in my Soul canopy. Can anyone give me advise on how to repair this?
Send it back to FS for repairs. The Soul has the 12 month warranty.

blu
Medium Poster

Postby blu » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:11 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:08 am
blu wrote:
there is small print saying you can't be negligent and hang it on the fence, :lol: ,
we have a terrible, small launch area

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:11 am

blu wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:11 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
blu wrote:
there is small print saying you can't be negligent and hang it on the fence, :lol: ,
Unless you were purposely trying to damage the kite, I highly doubt your claim would be turned down. Who’s your FS dealer?

blu
Medium Poster

Postby blu » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:32 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:11 am
blu wrote:
Adventure Logs wrote:

Unless you were purposely trying to damage the kite, I highly doubt your claim would be turned down. Who’s your FS dealer?
Silent Sports in Toronto

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:00 am

blu wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:32 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
blu wrote:

Silent Sports in Toronto
I've never have dealt with him but i've heard good things. Have you even asked if they will repair it? Again I've never have had a warranty claim denied and I've done some pretty stupid shit throughout the years. Long long time ago, with my first FS kite, I ended up doing a backroll/kiteloop which tomahawked on a submerged log which ultimately destroyed the foil. Not only did I have the entire kite replaced by Ted, the US flysurfer dealer, at the time I was in South Africa and he shipped it there to me for FREE. On top of that, I didn't even buy the kite from him, I ended up getting it second hand and he still replaced it. That experience is why I'm still with Flysurfer today.

blu
Medium Poster

Postby blu » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:00 am
blu wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:32 am
Adventure Logs wrote:

Silent Sports in Toronto
I've never have dealt with him but i've heard good things. Have you even asked if they will repair it? Again I've never have had a warranty claim denied and I've done some pretty stupid shit throughout the years. Long long time ago, with my first FS kite, I ended up doing a backroll/kiteloop which tomahawked on a submerged log which ultimately destroyed the foil. Not only did I have the entire kite replaced by Ted, the US flysurfer dealer, at the time I was in South Africa and he shipped it there to me for FREE. On top of that, I didn't even buy the kite from him, I ended up getting it second hand and he still replaced it. That experience is why I'm still with Flysurfer today.
thanks a lot for a great info, I will give them a call

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby Johhnn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 pm

The tape works very well. I've got a bunch of tape on my Ozone foil that ripped. Avoid the hassle and tape it yourself. But I'm sure Flysurfer would help you.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to “Foil Kites”