For all foil kite riders
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Self Landing Foilkites in 20+kts

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:54 am

This is slightly off-topic, but do others run into problems when asking for an assisted landing? There aren't many foil kites at my launch sites, and most LEI riders don't know how to land a foil kite. I'll usually say something like "catch the tip of the kite, walk upwind, then lay the kite on the beach like a blanket", but people do all kinds of silly stuff.....they'll try to catch the leading edge, or flip the kite over bridle side down, or grab multiple spots and ball up the kite. I'd prefer to self-land to avoid the problems, but if I'm over-powered on my 15m coming in, it can be sketchy.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:13 pm

All the time. Random people land them better. Easy instructions stand up wind of bridles and hold on to the fabric at the bottom. You walk slightly towards them and it flags.

Others kiters , do all sorts. Grab the kite in the middle, TE, bridles, walk into the bridles, stand downwind of the bridle and subsequently get tangled, I mean ffs seriously would you do this shit to a tube????

Advice learn to self land.

A good foil kiter will walk upwind sand and fold and open deflate. The best will even roll the kite for you lol.

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby f2020 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:29 pm

It’s my experience too: random people land foil kites with simple instructions better than experienced lei kiters.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:45 pm

"I'm going to fly the wing tip right into your hand, just stand there and let it flap downwind of you like a flag and I'll come grab it from you."

Then as soon as they grab hold of your wingtip, you run towards them to slack your lines and flag the kite out. I find the biggest problem when getting a stranger to land your kite is if the pilot doesn't run towards them, they still have line tension and then shit just gets all kinds of twisted up.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:45 pm
"I'm going to fly the wing tip right into your hand, just stand there and let it flap downwind of you like a flag and I'll come grab it from you."

Then as soon as they grab hold of your wingtip, you run towards them to slack your lines and flag the kite
I say the same thing. But I always add : once you grab the kite, then just immediately place it down to the ground.
So I steer only the wing tip to them. Then once they grap it, I run toward them to slack the lines. And I begin motioning with my hand and yelling to set the kite to the ground.

It seems like my emphasis of immediately placing the kite straight down on the ground really helps. nobody ever tries to flip the kite.

I've always had great luck with total strangers.
Like others have said: LEI kiters seem to screw it up some how. I give them extra special instruction.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm fine with tube kiters landing my foil. Kiters know the most important thing is to NOT LET GO. They might grab it in the wrong place but ok fine as long as they keep holding it you will be able to land. Of course you can't land it with total strangers that aren't kiters because they will grab your foil and then let go so it powers up and then you go for a little ride if you don't pop the QR in time.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:15 pm

I have constantly problems getting lei kiters to understand. " Grab the tip" I say. They say "whats the tip ? " I say :" see that Black part of the kite? That the tip" they say :" where's the tip?" I try to explain" the end of the kite, the tip. The black part" . It seems they don't know what parts of the kite are.....
I wonder why they don't get it !!

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:02 pm

I always ask "have you landed a foil before"? then, "stand with back to wind and I will bring it to you, grab the wing tip and then back up into the wind and it will lay down for you". "Whatever you do, don't let go. If you feel strings around you, don't let go....just hold on and I will come to you"

I have seen people panic with bridles around their heads if something flips around on them....if they let go then there could be very serious consequences.

Return to “Foil Kites”