Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Self Landing Foilkites in 20+kts

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:08 am

Ps Teather and wind shadow landing are advanced techniques. Don't take them on if you don't have some decent foil flying nouse.

I wind shadow land about 80% of the time. It works well when you know how to fly into the shadow repeatedly.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Flyfish wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:53 am

Awsome! I never thought to try that teather land. I'm game, I'll try it at least!

Wrapping the kite around an object works great. Just be sure the object won't tear your kite fabric.

I'd say beware of landing in a shadow though. It can work well, or it can bite you. I've put it down behind large sand dunes and when I was detaching, had it all of a sudden come flying back up out of them full hot launch. Beware of that.
Tether landing a foil is a terrible idea, even though it's possible. I've successfully done it many times ... except for that one time it was unsuccessful. A depowered foil will still fly and develop power, and I'm sure you can imagine the fun and games involved when you can't steer it.

You'd be better off back-stall landing the kite, then using the tether to secure the rear lines to keep it on the ground and then walk to the kite.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:24 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:51 pm
What happens when the bottom wingtip hits the deck before you get to it? Does the kite roll over and power up? What kind of risk is involved in landing this way? Thxs!
No, it bounces off and goes fast across the window edge to other side and explodes upon impact...

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:35 pm

what would be the ballpark upper wind limit for backstalling a 12m soul from zennith?

also how easy is to land on the edge of the window and pull the highest backline to get it horizontal on the beach and then both lines to keep it there?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:40 pm
Flyfish wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:53 am

Awsome! I never thought to try that teather land. I'm game, I'll try it at least!

Wrapping the kite around an object works great. Just be sure the object won't tear your kite fabric.

I'd say beware of landing in a shadow though. It can work well, or it can bite you. I've put it down behind large sand dunes and when I was detaching, had it all of a sudden come flying back up out of them full hot launch. Beware of that.
Tether landing a foil is a terrible idea, even though it's possible. I've successfully done it many times ... except for that one time it was unsuccessful. A depowered foil will still fly and develop power, and I'm sure you can imagine the fun and games involved when you can't steer it.

You'd be better off back-stall landing the kite, then using the tether to secure the rear lines to keep it on the ground and then walk to the kite.
Oh its an advanced technique. If you cant hande the heat, maybe you are in the wrong kitchen!.. hehe hahaha. Sure back stall teather brake line on the ground is prefered. But only works to a certain power level.
And what if you dont have the room downwind? Then what? Sometimes edge of window land is the only option.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:51 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:24 pm
JakeFarley wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:51 pm
What happens when the bottom wingtip hits the deck before you get to it? Does the kite roll over and power up? What kind of risk is involved in landing this way? Thxs!
No, it bounces off and goes fast across the window edge to other side and explodes upon impact...
Nah, Usually failure mode is a bunched up, balled up pile of fabric you need to spend a few hours untangling. Or if you do a real bad job, The kite ends up landing on you, And you end up in the lines which is potentially dangerous.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:54 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:35 pm
what would be the ballpark upper wind limit for backstalling a 12m soul from zennith?

also how easy is to land on the edge of the window and pull the highest backline to get it horizontal on the beach and then both lines to keep it there?
Its not pulling it down that is the issue its securing the kite once on the ground. You need a strong assed anchor to hold the kite on the brake lines. I would say that i have back stalled landed my 12 chrono in around 22 knots.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:56 pm

mine bounced off the tip and did mach 2 to the other side. Fortunately there were grass covered dunes on that side and the lines hit the dunes before the kite crumbled behind them. I was speculating that it would have hit the ground and exploded... It was going really fast...The lines were screaming...

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm

can you not walk up the back lines once its down and not anchor it?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:57 pm

I have definitely back stall landed my 12m Soul in around 15-20 knots, which is the upper limit for me kitesurfing with it. If you do it from the top of the window you need to commit to the middle bit where is pulls quite a bit, but not in a scary way (in my opinion!) and it does land fairly solidly and sometimes have a bit of a bounce so no stones / gravel ideally! The alternative is to steer it to as close to the ground as possibly then back stall it, but then it will slip across the window a bit which can be annoying but is not dangerous as long as you keep hold of the back lines. Then either secure it (which is what I usually do) or walk up to the kite holding the back lines until you reach a wingtip.

Return to “Foil Kites”