Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hyperlink 12m vs Soul 12m

For all foil kite riders
Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50
Brand Affiliation: None

Hyperlink 12m vs Soul 12m

Postby Kristan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Greetings, fellow wind addicts.

I've decided to create this thread because I can't decide which one of those two foils I should buy in order to replace my CF Sculp. It's a fine kite, but it carries my 97kg ass on the TT starting from 14 knots, which is quite rare occassion in the area I live in. But I do also like foil kites, besides most of my sessions appear to be on the snow, rather than the water. So my goal is to get a freeride foil kite which would pull me on TT starting from 10-12 knots with potential for hooked in jumps.

So I've been gathering information, watching videos, reading forums and here are the conclusions I've come up to:

Hyperlink
Pros:
- Simple. Bridles and overall construction.
- Fast turning.
- Pretty jumpy.
- Open cells option.
- Way cheaper than Soul.
Cons:
- Almost no tuning options.
- Nonadjustable speed system.
- Some quality concerns.
- Deflates too fast with closed cells, at least while on the trailing edge.
- A bit shorter high end wind range

Soul
Pros:
- Lots of adjustments and tuning options.
- Pull-and-go power gain.
- Stability in gusts.
- Easy relaunch.
- Jumps, but does it softer than HL.
- Wide wind range.
Cons:
- Priiice!
- Slow turning.
- Problematic self-landing.
- Kite material is a bit too thin.
- Might require line adjustments from the bag.

The problem is that I can't even test those kites to form my own opinion on them. Or maybe I don't know how to get those kites on tests in my area. And this purchase would take a hefty chunk out of my wallet, so I need to make it worthwhile for several years. So I'm here to ask your opinions on those two kites, prove me wrong or right on some of those conclusions. Would I satisfy myself with cheap and simpler Hyperlink or I'd be happy with comfy, yet pricey Soul?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Hyperlink 12m vs Soul 12m

Postby tomtom » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Add Kitech FSR to your list.

VS SOUL
+ faster turning - more depower - better feeling on bar and much better price
- little less pull, little less upwind drive.

relaunch is best from all kites ever - but soul is also excelent for relaunch

Never tried Hyperlink

About Launch and Land - all foil kites are bit from problematic to dangerous in stronger winds - just nobody says it loud. Better to land to helper as LEI and better to have a lot of space.
All instruction - like walking to kite while backstall etc counting with BIG empty beach. Problematic on tight landing spots.
Also foil kite and gusty rotor winds dont like each other.

Saying all that FRS is my preferred LW kite

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:53 pm

tomtom wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:28 pm
Add Kitech FSR to your list.

VS SOUL
+ faster turning - more depower - better feeling on bar and much better price
- little less pull, little less upwind drive.

relaunch is best from all kites ever - but soul is also excelent for relaunch

Never tried Hyperlink

About Launch and Land - all foil kites are bit from problematic to dangerous in stronger winds - just nobody says it loud. Better to land to helper as LEI and better to have a lot of space.
All instruction - like walking to kite while backstall etc counting with BIG empty beach. Problematic on tight landing spots.
Also foil kite and gusty rotor winds dont like each other.

Saying all that FRS is my preferred LW kite
FSR looks like our new Russian kite Paraavis Smile. I'd pick it, cuz the price is fantastic, but it does not provides that +2 meters power advantage over LEI kites. In other words it would have the same power as my CF Sculp, which doesn't fit to the local wind ranges, unless I use Flydoor.

I know that foil kites have some pull if landed on the trailing edge, I found it out on my FS Pulse2. But apparently people mean that Soul has way stronger pull if landed on the trailing edge. Of course there is still possibility to land it on 3 and 9 o'clock or just flag it out, but there is less control over it, it might tumble and damage itself.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Your best bet is to get one slightly used and try to ride it for a while. I bought 12m Hyperlink brand new and after a few uses I realized that it's a fantastic kite but slightly too large for my gusty lake conditions for the hydrofoil. They told me that 9m is a better as lowend is pretty close to 12m when on hydrofoil but 9m handles gusts better as it's simply smaller. I'm thinking to swap my 12m HL to smaller or sell it. I actually needed to buy a slightly used one at the beginning at much lower price than a brand new one in order to figure out is it exactly what I need.

So try to test it at lower cost instead of buying an expensive brand new because it's just too hard to decide without trying it.

Kristan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kristan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm
Your best bet is to get one slightly used and try to ride it for a while. I bought 12m Hyperlink brand new and after a few uses I realized that it's a fantastic kite but slightly too large for my gusty lake conditions for the hydrofoil. They told me that 9m is a better as lowend is pretty close to 12m when on hydrofoil but 9m handles gusts better as it's simply smaller. I'm thinking to swap my 12m HL to smaller or sell it. I actually needed to buy a slightly used one at the beginning at much lower price than a brand new one in order to figure out is it exactly what I need.

So try to test it at lower cost instead of buying an expensive brand new because it's just too hard to decide without trying it.
I had an experience of buying a "slightly used" foil kite. Never again. :roll:

Besides I haven't seen anyone selling used HL around. I've seen used Souls... they were sold at the higher prices than new ones from the local kiteshops. Buying HL from someone abroad isn't something I would trust. So buying a brand new kite is the only option for now.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Sorry can't give you a comparison.
But am 75 kg and been using a Hyperlink to UL 9m for 60 sessions this year on Hydrofoil.
That's 90% of my sessions. it flys the same as out of the bag, no adjustment. Haven't done a thing.
No visible wear on anything. I guess will have to adjust it next season, have about 10-15 sessions to go until next season.
I wouldn't recommend a 9m at your weight on a tt in 14 knots. I would get a bigger kite. Like a 13-15.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 pm

I had the 9m Hyperlink and sold it to buy the 8m Soul and 12m Soul.

I don't think you will regret either kite as they're both really good for your intended use.

For me the relaunch and anti-drowning abilities of the Soul was an important factor against the Hyperlink. I also think the soul has some design and manufacturing advantages over the hyperlink, plus where I live the Ozone national warranty guy is well known to never approve anything, unlike flysurfer.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:55 am

Kristan wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Cons:
- Priiice!
From a quick google search, I've found shops list price being less than a $200 USD price difference between the two kites with the Soul being the higher priced. The thing about the Soul is a 10m would produce almost as much power as a hyperlink 12m so then that price difference wouldn't be a factor.
Kristan wrote:
- Slow turning.
Not sure how you think the Soul is slow turning as it's one of the faster foils on the market including the hyperlink. It does take a little to get use to and you need to have your lines set up slightly different than Flysurfer's norm(steering lines 5cm shorter than the front lines)
Kristan wrote:
I've had absolutely no problem self landing either my 8m or 15m in very strong conditions, just takes some practice and skill.
Kristan wrote:
?? This one confuses me. Why do you think it's too thin? It's an extremely durable and airtight material.
Kristan wrote:
Both of my Soul's required no adjustment at all out of the bag but it does take a couple hours to break in correctly. What's nice about the adjustable bridal is if you DO want it to act differently, you have the ability to do so very easily.
Kristan wrote:

The problem is that I can't even test those kites to form my own opinion on them. Or maybe I don't know how to get those kites on tests in my area. And this purchase would take a hefty chunk out of my wallet, so I need to make it worthwhile for several years. So I'm here to ask your opinions on those two kites, prove me wrong or right on some of those conclusions. Would I satisfy myself with cheap and simpler Hyperlink or I'd be happy with comfy, yet pricey Soul?
Not sure how you believe the Hyperlink is simpler, possibly because of the fixed bridal. But then you are stuck with what you get and as it ages, there's nothing you can do. If price is a big issue, just think that your Soul will last much longer and continue to fly as a new kite with bridal tuning for much longer as well. Also it's "thin" material will stay airtight longer and in general will be a kite you can ride for years.

=Jason-

Kristan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kristan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:32 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:55 am
Kristan wrote:

Cons:
- Priiice!
From a quick google search, I've found shops list price being less than a $200 USD price difference between the two kites with the Soul being the higher priced. The thing about the Soul is a 10m would produce almost as much power as a hyperlink 12m so then that price difference wouldn't be a factor.
Kristan wrote:
- Slow turning.
Not sure how you think the Soul is slow turning as it's one of the faster foils on the market including the hyperlink. It does take a little to get use to and you need to have your lines set up slightly different than Flysurfer's norm(steering lines 5cm shorter than the front lines)
Kristan wrote:
I've had absolutely no problem self landing either my 8m or 15m in very strong conditions, just takes some practice and skill.
Kristan wrote:
?? This one confuses me. Why do you think it's too thin? It's an extremely durable and airtight material.
Kristan wrote:
Both of my Soul's required no adjustment at all out of the bag but it does take a couple hours to break in correctly. What's nice about the adjustable bridal is if you DO want it to act differently, you have the ability to do so very easily.
Kristan wrote:

Not sure how you believe the Hyperlink is simpler, possibly because of the fixed bridal. But then you are stuck with what you get and as it ages, there's nothing you can do. If price is a big issue, just think that your Soul will last much longer and continue to fly as a new kite with bridal tuning for much longer as well. Also it's "thin" material will stay airtight longer and in general will be a kite you can ride for years.

=Jason-
I have no idea how to muiltiquote here yet, but oh well, will figure it out later.

Price. I'm stuck with my local dealers. The prices of kite here and abroad are about the same, yet if I'm gonna buy it elsewhere I might get hit by VATs and customs fees. And for now the difference between HL and Soul is somewhat 450$.

Slow turning. Maybe I might be wrong here, yet as I saw two hours raw video of a dude on 12m Soul it felt like my 17m Fat Lady turns faster than that.

Self landing. Of course skills makes for everything, yet if several people accustomed to foil kites say that it is hard to backstall to land, I think there might be something wrong.

Thin material. As far as I remember it was made of 32g/sqm material, which is rather lightweight, and I was told never to buy foil kites made of "light" cloth, as they don't last long. We do have Soul for like... one season? We're yet to see how such fabric really gonna last. And I don't believe in miraculous super durable yet thin materials.

Line adjustments. Maybe you're fine how it flies as is, or maybe you're lucky, yet I've read reviews of other folks that said they had to adjust the lines in order for Soul to fly as they expect it to do. Maybe it's personal preferences. Or maybe most of people just don't bother and fine with how it flies.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 am

Kristan wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 pm
WH Lithuania wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm

I had an experience of buying a "slightly used" foil kite. Never again. :roll:

Besides I haven't seen anyone selling used HL around. I've seen used Souls... they were sold at the higher prices than new ones from the local kiteshops. Buying HL from someone abroad isn't something I would trust. So buying a brand new kite is the only option for now.
Very true. I also bought a few used ones and when I compare it with my slightly used Hyperlink that's something to compare worn out with brand new. But if you can see it in person that may work very well. In any case - try to avoid buying brand new before you 100% know that it's right model and size.

Return to “Foil Kites”