For all foil kite riders
neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil kite longevity

Postby neilhapgood » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 pm

Wondering on the life span of a foil compared to lei. I have bought a soul and love it but it's quite an investment so wondering how well they last? Especially as the material is so thin, and as I am the only kiter at my spot I always reverse self land it so does that decrease the lifespan as its hitting beach each time (getting better at this and its hitting beach less hard each time but it's still coming down with far more force than side landing an lei)

Thanks

Neil

stefFZ
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surfing
Gear: Concept Air Waves & Pulsions. Still a couple of Flysurfers P4.

Re: Foil kite longevity

Postby stefFZ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:50 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 pm
as I am the only kiter at my spot I always reverse self land it so does that decrease the lifespan as its hitting beach each time
What do you mean? Launching a foil kite is very simple and not damaging for the kite at a 45° angle. You lift one tip and you get the kite up, and that's it. There should be no "wearing" issue related to launching with a foil kite, with experience it's damned simple and safe (given the standard safety checks have been made).

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 am

Hi is talking about landing

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:40 am

stefFZ wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:50 pm
neilhapgood wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 pm
as I am the only kiter at my spot I always reverse self land it so does that decrease the lifespan as its hitting beach each time
What do you mean? Launching a foil kite is very simple and not damaging for the kite at a 45° angle. You lift one tip and you get the kite up, and that's it. There should be no "wearing" issue related to launching with a foil kite, with experience it's damned simple and safe (given the standard safety checks have been made).
Hey, Stef. You're right. But unfortunately, the OP was referring to self LANDING.... :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:56 am

I think the canopies of foil kites last longer because they are not subjected to the pressure of inflated bladders.
But the bridles need more maintenance to maintain proper flying characteristics.

So... Foils last longer but require a lot more maintenance.

A lei can be used for years little or no maintenance.

Ultimately i think the lei is less hastle if you replace them often enough to not need repairs

stefFZ
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surfing
Gear: Concept Air Waves & Pulsions. Still a couple of Flysurfers P4.

Postby stefFZ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:29 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:40 am
Hey, Stef. You're right. But unfortunately, the OP was referring to self LANDING.... :thumb:
[/quote]

Oups ....! :D

Ok Landing then ... you cannot brake a Soul ..? I mean pulling high on steering lines and backstall the kite in the middle of the wind window or if the wind is too strong backstall it on the side and get it in the middle gently?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:19 am

Depends on the fabric. The new fabric of the Soul(also used for the Sonic Race and VG) is suppose to be very similar to the Lotus(or is lotus on one side, something like that). I still have a Speed 4 Lotus 10m which is as air tight as the day I bought it, almost too air tight since I've taken it out after over a half year of sitting and there was moisture still in it from the last session. That's pretty impressive for an almost 5 year old kite.

=Jason-

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:24 am

As kite is soft there is not pressure points to ground. Only thing is LE ribs. If you land or more crash LE first to sand and wind tosses kite left and right you'll get serious wear where ribs are or even holes. But landing tail first no prob.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:36 am

Foil kites last a very long time. They are incredibly durable. That said not all foil kites are equal. Heavier fabric lasts a lot longer than lighter fabric. And newer generation Flysurfers are all lighter fabric. Most people would opt for lighter fabric for the performance benefits anyway. That said the life difference between light vs heavy fabric I would guess is 1/2 to 1/3. The big factors in life span is how and how much you use the kites. If you are careful and gentle with the kites you could get 3-6years out of a light fabric one, or with a heavy fabric foil with insane use and abuse it could last only 3 years. I have seen ancient foils in like new condition! it is all how much they are used.

The biggest issue to an aging foil is porosity or how leaky the fabric gets. The air tightness of the kite overall is critical to how it keeps it's shape. There is a solution to a leaky foil, but it is far from easy, but it does it exist. You basically need to paint the whole kite with a special solution. Which will add a little weight but restore the kite to like new.

There are a few things to help preserve a foil. Not leaving it out in the sun unnecessarily, ie don't dry it in the sun. I would avoid washing or rinsing the kite. Other things to do do are landing/packing on grass, launching and landing downwind,not dragging it or it's lines, folding before you roll the kite and obviously all the general things like avoiding smashing it into the water/ground etc. Your enemies are sun light, abrasive surfaces and stress on the fabric. It's best to not let waves load a kite with you attached. Foils are much more durable in waves than LEI but eventually they do rip, full release and let it go :-)

Lastly if you are concerned with the price of foils, consider instead trying a Pansh, they are the cheapest kites you can get and .. foils :-)

Return to “Foil Kites”