Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Flyfish » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:20 am

Armin Harich wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:14 pm
We read your feedback and appreciate that you like the Peak and see the potential of the concept.
Let's Please not forget the potential for pure surfboard down the line drifting for wave ridding. I have zero experience with single skin kites, but can only imagine it may be the dream kite for pure drifting wave ridding.
Seriously, there is a market to convert tube kiters out there. Tubes will only float so much. There is a limit there, but foils have much farther to advance in this area!

Remember, there are ALOT of pure surf kitesurfers that are looking for ultimate drift!

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:26 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:19 am
Is the peak 4 water relaunchable ? Was really interested in this kite as a light wind option for kitesurfing as its lightweight but very powerful for its size , however the chance of water relaunch is probally close to zero percent . check out my test of the kite on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkv9BK-EWd8&t=1s

https://youtu.be/xkv9BK-EWd8
Is the peak 4 not reverse launchable? Seems like the way to go.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Adventure Logs wrote: Is the peak 4 not reverse launchable? Seems like the way to go.
For sure it is on dry land/snow, but if it collects water inside LE chute relaunch will be difficult if not impossible. I use frequently single skin kite when snowkiting, one of the biggest benefits is very easy handling and relaunch of it.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:44 pm

No unfortunately when the kite hits the water the leading edge gets water in to it almost immediately especially the tips and its too heavy to lift off the water.
Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:26 pm
windrider1 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:19 am
Is the peak 4 water relaunchable ? Was really interested in this kite as a light wind option for kitesurfing as its lightweight but very powerful for its size , however the chance of water relaunch is probally close to zero percent . check out my test of the kite on this video.
Is the peak 4 not reverse launchable? Seems like the way to go.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 pm

as long you don't know how it relaunchs…" … but promised, I will find out, as I seriously think about keeping it as my all terain strong wind kite. ...
Hi everybody, as I promised, I tried and found out :D

And still can't believe it, but result was even so much better then expected:

As it is Christmas, I made a present to myself, which means that I put myself into -4 to 0°C of air and 4°C of water (had to unfreeze the bar in water :-? )
Went out in about 12 knts, which is the low limit to ride my big monofoil with the Peak4 in 3 m². … to see if it will start in the water and than relaunch. … My quote of being not succesful was

1/32 :-?

Or if we don't calculate the first try, which was not a relaunch, but the test to start it first directly out of the water:
(which was the only not succesful try, till now; this way: https://kitejunkie.com/slides/slide/wie ... ekunden-83 … this time it also takes just 90 sec, to see that I made an error, the way how I put the kite on the water and also maybe how I partly had the safety pulled in, shouldn't be to difficult to find a way to also launch it first directly from the deep water, hopefully also with waves)

31/31 :rollgrin:

Didn't believe it, so cool, about 6 times I was out in the deep water the rest in the shallow, but here with even more difficult side to side of winds.
I first carefully landed backwards 2 times, then I hamered it down, from the top, from the side, diped it with the tip nearly anyway it is possible to drop a kite. :D
But it was unsinkable, :D even with a lot of water behind the nose or several times with the tip cells filled with water ...

kitejunkie flysurfer peak4 water relaunch1.jpg
But to make thinks clear:
For sure it does not relaunch like a Soul, Wave, Viron or any beginner foil just by itself. It is necessary to keep some line tension, and to do the right movement at the right time, but just with those few tries I found some technics how to remove the water directy by a strong pull or by flipping it slowly over one tip so the water could run out. I will test more situations also to see how many "first reaction mistakes" you can do and keeping relaunchability.

Thought about modding something as often done to kites to improve relaunch in the past, but it just seems not to be neccessary. It is great as it is.
Next days I will also try the 8 m² (also in lower winds around 8 knts) which I now want to buy to become my "drop from a sailboat, open ocean first launch bitch ..." 8)

Oh and if this is done there will be a video with both sizes at www.kitejunkie.com
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
sonny2727 (Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:00 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi Horst, as direct result of your 3m peak first impression, i bought 3 and 5 m peak 4 for snow a HF use. Looking forward, even more after this. :)

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Horst, very interesting news, thanks!

May I ask why don't you try the 11m Peak 4, please? That could be the ultimate big wing marginal wind kite perhaps?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:50 pm

@Tomtom:
:thumb: Same like me, hoped to get an 8 m² as expecting this will be the size I will additionally be interested in, but now will try to water test the 5 m² first, which is also ok for me. Only disadvantage of Peak4 for me till now is:
It is nice that Flysurfer takes single Skin serious to now offer 5 sizes, but the stepping does not make to much sense, even if as I understood the 5 is 5,4 m² and so on. just a to big whole inbetween 5 and 8 m².

@omg:
I take what I get :wink: to test. But it has to be named: In my eyes for light riders like me a 11 m² will never make sense, as it will never reach light wind performce of a high AR closed cell, just will float longer in the air without input.
In the light winds you always need glide ratio, otherwise you will just go downwind, even with a good foil, which I already start to do with the 3m² in 11 knts when I have to sinus it a lot. For over 80 kg for sure a 11 m² can make sense.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 pm

About 11m as lw. Exactly plus relaunch issue. I think your workaround what works with 3m in 15 knots is different animal than 11m in 5 knts. But who knows. Single skins have most hidden potential from all kites. About sizes. I miss 6m as one kite show. But 8-5 is imo ok step. Maybe you dont even need 8 and you can go to 5 as next kite after big lw closed cell. It is isnt like normal 8 to 5 but almost like 12 to 9 which is ok.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Anyway thank you Horst very much for discover this kite for me. Its almost same as when Gunnar discover 633. :)

Return to “Foil Kites”