Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
stefFZ
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surfing
Gear: Concept Air Waves & Pulsions. Still a couple of Flysurfers P4.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby stefFZ » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:15 am

Flyfish wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:20 am
Let's Please not forget the potential for pure surfboard down the line drifting for wave ridding. I have zero experience with single skin kites, but can only imagine it may be the dream kite for pure drifting wave ridding.
Seriously, there is a market to convert tube kiters out there. Tubes will only float so much. There is a limit there, but foils have much farther to advance in this area!

Remember, there are ALOT of pure surf kitesurfers that are looking for ultimate drift!
FYI, there is a kite that exactely does this ... it was designed for surfing and drifting (it took Benoît Tremblay nearly 5 years to get it right), with plenty of sizes available now: 2.3 / 3 / 4.5 / 6.5 / 8.5 and now 12.5 (still need to try that one and I don't use the 2.3 and the 3 as I am not hydrofoiling).

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2394428

I really like FS but I don't think that there is something equivalent on the market. If surfing (without using the power of the kite) is your thing, then this is your kite.
Last edited by stefFZ on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 am

AHA ! sent to the professional video editor , or maybe we should say Special Effects editor ? :rollgrin: how much are u paying those guys as u say to make clear blue skys out of foggy ones and kites to magically rise of the ocean that are filled with water. :lol: interesting well ill wait to see the results .

Horst Sergio wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:01 am
windrider1 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:59 pm
Quote windrider:
"So where is the video of these 98 percent releaunches . Strange you have presented only photos and words so far. I tested the 8m in about 8 knts and had a zero relaunch rate with about 6 or 7 dips. May be the wind was too low considering 8 kts is not enough to kitesurf but I can tell u for sure water gets in to the leading edge pocket especially the tips and makes the kite heavy and difficult to come off the water. well ill wait for your footage may be the smaller sizes its possible in stronger winds."
Hi,
first, sorry to be pedantic at this point (I am German) but it's 98,5 %.
As already seen, I am just expert for fuzzy photos and big words, not for videos, that's why, this work has been outsorced to a less unprofessional video cutter. In order to fullfill your quality demands. But unfortunately, as you can imagine, it will take quite some time to turn all those fuzzy grey video material into nice blue sky, shiny ones :) , even more it will be a lot of work for our post-processing to cut out all those little helpers and their boats (who in reality helped to relaunch the kite) out of the video and doing this about 70 times! So poletely we want to ask you to wait a few days. Would this be ok for you, yes? :remybussi:

Oh and as you already know for sure, if something doesn't work with a kite it is ALWAYS about kite size or wind strength ... always, never about skill or its absence, no no, never seen that. :bye:

@Regis:
Yes as you said, depending, but I think in the lowest lowend with the L/D ratio of Peak you just will hit an unbreakable wall somewhere at 5-6 knts it just won't matter anymore if you take 8, 11 or 20 m² Peak, you just will not go upwind anymore, not with a normal board at 20-25 km/h, well with a 100 cm wing riding 10 km/h, but who wants that, for me my 70 cm wing is already the limit of slowness. So think you will need at least a mid AR as your Pulsion which similar as the lecca-lecca I tried can be a nice compromise between lightness accesability and performance. Myself prefer close to maximum of performance and "speed" (30 km/h) in the lowest lowend, knowing that with one mistake, I am close to fall and swim. Especially if you want to jump, performace in lowend is the only way. But Peak is a very nice freaking concept for reduced cost, packing, travelling and so on, why I like it too, and who knows maybe one day I also will use it in those mountains all around my home place for snowkiting uphill … but this is really a freaky idea, not :wink:

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:29 am

Sorry for the delay,
but the special effects editor was obviously not available, as actually on a new Holywood blockbuster.
So I had to do it again the shity style I prefer and used a lot of water drops on the lens and sidecuts to hide the helping people and boats.

But maybe you like it anyway:

These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post (total 2):
jakemoore (Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 am) • Atte (Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:56 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 am

Sergio, or other, how might Peak4 4m compare with my favorite Cloud D 8m foiling in small surf? Will it drift (if kept moving a little) without collapsing? Will it pull upwind nearly as well (the Cloud is not so great at this anyway)? I use the 8m Cloud in wind around 20 km/h.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 am

Interesting, why did u switch over to the smaller 3m peak for the test , would love to see this with a bigger peak . I doubt its only 8 to 12 knots considering ure foiling on a 3m and I can see the speed with which the kite rotates. . Im thinking if the wind is strong enough it may be possible to relaunch my 8m and will have to test this out.

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:29 am
Sorry for the delay,
but the special effects editor was obviously not available, as actually on a new Holywood blockbuster.
So I had to do it again the shity style I prefer and used a lot of water drops on the lens and sidecuts to hide the helping people and boats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtjjbIt3o1A

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:18 pm

What’s the bar pressure like for Peak4? I thought it was rather high for Peak1 and Peak2.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 pm

br44 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:18 pm
What’s the bar pressure like for Peak4? I thought it was rather high for Peak1 and Peak2.
Normal to light /from small wave LEI perspective/

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:29 am
Sorry for the delay,

COOL! :thumb:

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Sergio, great stuff. It looks like the deep water launch of a Peak4 could be simpler compared to a closed cell? Because there’s no inflation? Also I’m curious if you can water-launch and relaunch a bigger Peak4 size in lower winds. Thanks

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 pm

@Denisesewa:
Hi, never used a cloud but a stormkite voyager 1 in about 9 m. I think both are round about similar in how worse the l/d ratio is. And maybe also in variability of turning radius. But the rest will be pretty much different. As long your board speed downwind never exceed wind speed the Peak4 is extremly stable and drifts perfectly, but if you go faster it may colapse and fold faster than you may correct your course or react anyway.

@br44:
Thanks, but no, I don't think it will be simpler than doing it with a foil kite:
https://kitejunkie.com/slides/slide/was ... ejunkie-25

as you have to be more careful with line tension. But don't expect the 8 or 11 m² will cause bigger problem performing this manouver in lets say minimum 7 knts of wind. I think I will film a total build up in the water of the bigger sizes in early spring. Actually the water starts to freeze, which makes it more complicated :wink: .
But even if it is possible to ride those kites down to maybe 6 knts with a foil and still going a bit upwind, in this case it will just be going back and forth, if this is ok for you. Myself will always prefer something with a much better l/d ratio as freerace foilkites, you may load up with speed and the boost even in those nearly no wind conditions.

Tried the 5 m² also in the snow inbetween 2 - 26 knts in a well known pre alpine field with many 30 m hills. Even if I also here prefer more the performance of freerace kites it felt quite ok for traveling a bit around as you see in the picture. (wind from the left) Behind some of the up to 20 m high buildings and trees (not all visible in the pic) it was possible to get it colapsing, when being to slow. But still felt predictable and I always would prefer to have a 600 € Peak in the tree than a 1800 € Sonic.

Return to “Foil Kites”