Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby mgs » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:43 pm

On eBay a new Ozone R1 V2 (13m) “kite only” is being listed with a BIN price of £2299
RRP online an R1 V3 (13m)” kite only” is showing as £2429
So yes there is an increase in price...

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windrider1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Interesting i think kites from ozone will be worth more than their weight in gold literally in a year or two i mean how much is 1 onnce of gold worth about 1300 USD and whats the weight of a ozone R1 kite at 3000 dollars . Anybody want to invest in kites for retirement :lol: :jump: :rollgrin:

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Super post that ozone foil price comparing in weight is more expensive than gold price :) this can be good catch for journalists and media spreading news about kiteboarding including to Olympic games :) as Olympic comitee formulated kiteboarding equipment (foils and hydrofoils) in games will be accesible for everyone, especially third countries :)
I see already article title: Olympic games included more expensive sport than gold price comparing in weight.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 am

I have R1v1 11m in immaculate condition!

Anyone interested?

Ah, yes, comparing with Lecca-Lecca Minima :) beautiful kites!
7724FAE7-0495-472A-9107-D0B213C5F0DE.jpeg
AD85E14B-0E42-4843-BBDE-5ABAB44D8810.jpeg
D.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:26 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:01 pm
Interesting i think kites from ozone will be worth more than their weight in gold literally in a year or two i mean how much is 1 onnce of gold worth about 1300 USD and whats the weight of a ozone R1 kite at 3000 dollars . Anybody want to invest in kites for retirement :lol: :jump: :rollgrin:
I see these commercials on Fox News during the daytime (at the gym, I never watch that garbage for real) where some stupid company is trying to sell old people physical currency like gold and silver as a way to hedge their investments. "Buy these gold coins and we'll send them to you in a nice case you can show your grandchildren while your adult children lament that you sold off your 401k at a huge tax loss to buy these useless pirate tokens!"

Can you imagine if those same infomercials started selling R1V3's? "It's never been a better time to invest in the stability of hydrofoil race kites. Currency loses value, but race kites are worth more than silver, gold, or even platinum!"

Serious Question

Has anyone compiled a legit back-to-back comparison of what's different on the V3 versus the V2? I remember when the V2 came out they made that really interesting video going over some of the structural and design changes they'd made over the V1...is there something similar yet or are we just waiting for Gunnar to do his standard review?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:38 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:08 pm
I'm very interested by this description, "OUR UNDERSTANDING OF TRUE RACE PERFORMANCE IS NOT ONLY RAW POWER AND SPEED – IT IS THE COMBINATION OF EVERY ASPECT OF A KITES CHARACTERISTICS, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HOW EASY IT IS TO ACCESS ITS FULL POTENTIAL."

I've been on the Flysurfer VMG for a few months. Performance is amazing, but is in no way easy. It is crazy fast, but I crash a lot more often. Interested to see if all kites are going this direction, speed at the expense of ease, or if this statement from ozone is true.
How “easy” huh lol. Kites that take on water super fast and makes relaunching difficult, bridles that you can’t tune up(unless you pay even more than their standard inflated price), and stitching which collects sand making the kite heavier and heavier makes me want to say umm no to that statement.

Really the user friendly foil brand has always been Flysurfer even to the point where they always play it safe. In my opinion we have Ozone to thank for the new performance in foils nowadays for at least pushing Flysurfer out of their shell.

The VMG is all about raw performance and obviously has the upper hand if you have the skills for it. If you are willing to sacrifice a little performance for ease of use, the Sonic 2 would fit that really nicely.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:38 pm
davesails7 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:08 pm
I'm very interested by this description, "OUR UNDERSTANDING OF TRUE RACE PERFORMANCE IS NOT ONLY RAW POWER AND SPEED – IT IS THE COMBINATION OF EVERY ASPECT OF A KITES CHARACTERISTICS, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HOW EASY IT IS TO ACCESS ITS FULL POTENTIAL."

I've been on the Flysurfer VMG for a few months. Performance is amazing, but is in no way easy. It is crazy fast, but I crash a lot more often. Interested to see if all kites are going this direction, speed at the expense of ease, or if this statement from ozone is true.
bridles that you can’t tune up(unless you pay even more than their standard inflated price),
The R1V2 has the Pro Tune system. So I don't know what you are talking about there. In regards to the statement about being easy. The R1V2 was the easiest race kite to handle of all on the Market. As you yourself said, the VMG needs a rider who "has the skills for it" . The R1v2 is super easy to handle for any level of racer in all conditions. The VMG, Diablo 4, Sonic Race and Sonic 2 are extremely difficult to handle in gusty and strong conditions. Also tuning the VMG and Diablo 4 (I have done a few now for others) is much harder than on the R1v2 which is not so sensitive to "bad" trimm compared to the others.

Also your comment about the pricing is wrong. The VMG 21m is 50 euros more expensive than the R1v3 21m.

--
Gunnar

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:51 pm

I don’t know what you are talking about Gunnar but the Sonic 2 is extremely easy to fly even in gusts. I guess this is Ozone’s new direction. If you can’t claim best performance, claim best handling. And the VMG vs the R1 is a sad comparison. The VMG is way beyond.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:51 pm
I don’t know what you are talking about Gunnar but the Sonic 2 is extremely easy to fly even in gusts. I guess this is Ozone’s new direction. If you can’t claim best performance, claim best handling. And the VMG vs the R1 is a sad comparison. The VMG is way beyond.

I have flown all of these kites, are you are wrong/pushing your own agenda. The Sonic 2 is no where near as easy to handle in gusty conditions compared to a R1v2. It has a tendency to overfly on the edge of the window in shifts and the big sizes have bowtie issues in light winds if they stall at the edge of the window. The R1v1 had the same issues, but the R1v2 is still the easies to fly.

The VMG is not "way beyond" and difficult to handle in gusty conditions. This is pretty much the consensus amongst the racing crowd and also the reason FS are experimenting with going back to the standard 3 Line setup on the bridles again on the next gen of the Race kites.

If you cannot be open and honest about it, you should just stay off threads like these. You already proved that you are not quite sure what you are talking about with your comments on pricing and that the R1v2 does not have a tunable bnidle.

--
Gunnar

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:07 am

I was more talking of the other foils from Ozone with the bridal and I’m correct in saying the R1 and VMG don’t belong in the same category. If anything the Sonic2 and R1 are in the same league. And are we talking about the V2 which was pulled from release or the V3 which they are calling the V2 now??

Return to “Foil Kites”