Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Foil Semi DIY kit

Postby juandesooka » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:37 am

Came across this ad on ikitesurf, for a wood foil kit. Seems like an interesting idea, if it works.

I have doubts it would be strong enough, though some others have posted wooden DIY ones before, so maybe with enough layers of glass it's ok?

[apologies if a re-post, I didn't look through to see; I have no affiliation with seller btw!]

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/18545

Foil board kits for all those who embrace the DIY attitude.

The 5 pieces will arrive to you cut at the right size and shaped perfectly. All foils, curves, and edges, are already perfect and ready to go. Even the holes for the screws are predrilled, all you gotta do it carefully screw the pieces together (with the screws given) and your all set for fiberglassing. The tricky part of shaping and angling the wings is already done for you, spend a few hours fiberglassing and your ready to fly.

You can order fiberglass online or even use the stuff they sell at home depot. Roughly $40 of fiberglass and resin will be plenty to finish the kit.

DONT BE WORRIED ABOUT FIBERGLASSING!! Its much easier then you think. You don't have to be a expert. Jagged edges, cracks, and other imperfections will not keep this foil from flying. Do the best you can and most likely you are good to go. Basic instructions on recommended layups are included.

The kit itself is in the first three pictures. The last three pictures are examples of what the finished product can look like after it has been fiberglassed and painted. The videos below also show a finished kit in use. This foil can be bolted onto any board you have. In the second video I have it bolted onto a real ugly plywood board that I often use for testing.
Videos are these links.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7rAzTHjiSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfznvvdZOII

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Foil Semi DIY kit

Postby BWD » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:28 am

Fascinating.
But

How is the kit profiled? CNC? Something else?

What foils shapes are used?

How thick is the strut?

What wood is used?

What is the source of the wood (quality aircraft or boat building wood or something else??)?

Fastener details?

Made to be permanently assembled only or ableto remove wings or strut for packing?

This is a very interesting offer but these questions need answers.

Also needs video proof it works with a kite; the YouTube links show only riding behind a boat.

If convinced it is viable I might bite.
Lean toward laminating strut with carbon though.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:53 am

Email the guy and report back! All good questions.

I don't think the boat vs kite part matters that much. I learned with my foil behind my boat and now with the kite...doesn't seem to be a big difference. If it works with one it should with other.

I might question turning performance. ...video seems like he just rides straight.

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Denisesewa » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:08 pm

By watching this video it seems the construction of the strut to fuse is simply butted and glassed, this is a potential weak area, the top plate is the same, both wings have lifting profiles which is not the norm for kiting and in the videos of him riding it seems he is applying alot of rear foot pressure to keep it airborn.

having built a few foils now I think he has a good idea to get people into DIY without having to shape things, If glass and/or carbon are applied properly the core material is not critical IMO, I have made foils from Baltic birch ply, Hickory and cedar without issue . However I think the kit needs some refinement to be viable for kiting( longer fuse, better interface of parts and flip the rear wing profile, and probably a vertical stab with the flat wings), AIRCHAIR's work fine behind the steady inline pull of a boat but dont work for kiting, ( at least they dont work well).
I'd like to see more info on it as well and video of kiting.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:56 am

Return to “Gear Builders”