Postby dimip » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Let's face it, live is better at the beach 8) :cool2:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Top Five Reasons why Snowkiting is better than Water Kit

Postby Starsky » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:30 pm

Even up here in the great white north it works out that I get 2:1 water to snow in a good snow year. Given the choice...... water every time. Doesn't negate the fact that when its good, snow can be exceptional, but snow is fickle around here.

Takes less wind.

Opens up a whole new set of spots.

Can ride around unhooked almost indefinitely.

Obstacles/features are so much fun.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Of course the beach is better, nice warm water too... Reality is that everything freezes over from December to April. Where are you in Ontario Starsky? You just cannot ride water around Montreal in the winter. There is one spot but it is dangerous... Ice eggs, huge plates of ice drifting, they weight tons and sharp ice edges that might prevent you from climbing back

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:44 pm

awo wrote:girls are in bikinis

and the winner is.... :winner2:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:54 pm

I chase the end of the water season because the waves can get really good and every session like that is epic. 5 degree C with some sun is my cut off for a late season water session. Generally don't go back to water once the snowboard is waxed unless its a ridiculously warm exception and the beach is still 100% open. Have actually bagged a water session in each of Jan/Feb/Mar on Lake Ontario, but they were weird winters with little or no lasting freeze on the big lake. I do routinely get my last few water sessions at sbx in Dec. Think I had at least two last year. April is usually a trip to OBX to bridge the gap, but this year I didn't go and had my last snow sessions in late April and my first water session a week later on Mar 2nd. Haven't gone more than 14 days without a session of some type this year so far.

Certainly not the type to ride water when there is actually ice in it despite having the clothing to pull it off. I'll leave that to the crazy youtube peeps. Our small lakes within 20 min drive north freeze long before the big lake is even close, so the shift is pretty natural where you can have a completely inspiring wave session in 8 degree sunshine by yourself at sbx one week and get out on freshie snow a half hour north/inland the next.

Cold weather riding in fall feels so much safer to me than spring. The wind is more predictable and from better directions, the water isn't any where near as cold, and if you are comfy in the air temps..... your comfy. Spring can lull you into a false sense of security with 15-20 degree air and hot sun, but that water is still glacier cold, and the interface between real cold water and warm air can suddenly dome and shut off leaving you in the drink.

For others looking to pursue the late season around these latitudes. Stick with a board you can paddle, don't venture out far and above all dress to handle a 20 min swim not a one hour ride.
Last edited by Starsky on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Might need my 1 meter kite for this one - 96 mph gusts in Alaska!

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014 ... -wind-cold

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:19 pm

soul19 wrote:Plummet I have to disagree on the aspect that you find the wind more consistent on the water. I am not sure as to how much kiting you do on the snow but you can't get any more clean wind than on a frozen lake! The winter has our cleanest wind conditions and I have never kited in better. Now the rest is spot on and the cold can be challenging at the best of times....still the freedom that comes with being able to kite in any wind direction and the vast open riding space is amazing. My absolute favourite is blowing past guys riding their sleds and having them chase me down after to tell me how fast and cool that it was.

James
Well that's fair play. I was thinking about my reality. Which = wind on the beach typically has travelled thousands of km over the sea with hitting anything before it hits my kite. Wind on the snow in nz is generally in the mountains and has had to travel over many structures to get to the kite therefore is more likely to be turbulent.

NeWORBiT
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Blue Mesa Reservoir
Style: gimpy old school
Gear: 11m HQ neo II, 6m Slingsnot
Been thanked: 0

Postby NeWORBiT » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Hmmmm, Matt, are you trying to start a riot here? 'Can't we all just get along?'

Reasons you gotta do both:
There's only 3 inches snow on Snow Mesa now (hiked up there on Wednesday), whereas the little bit of ice on the big lake is gone by noon each day.
Ski boots help my feet heal from the bruises I get on our rocky beaches when launching and landing in strong gusty conditions. Launching on snow feels safer. (I always self launch and land).
They both get you out playing in the water or snow when it's too cold and windy for 'normal' people.When the wind is up I get the lake (or the nordic ski meadows) all to myself.
Water freezes then it melts, rinse and repeat. Snowkiting got me totally re-enthused about winter, after a half century of skiing I was losing the stoke. Kiteboarding got me back on the water after windsurfing was hurting my knees.

Snow rules because:
Exploring our mountains and mesas via snowkite is incredible, places around here you can go on and on. On the water, turn back before you hit the beach. Unfold your google earth map, checkout the terrain in the Lake City, Creede, La Garita area of Colorado.
New neoprene ain't gonna last nearly as long as my old gore-tex.
I can pedal my bike to the edge of town and snowkite, must drive to the lake.
Not only can you go in light wind like OP mentioned, but go uphill in the lightest wind.
When the wind dies good swimming technique is hindered by a sea anchor and $400 flotsam (tt or surfboard). On snow it's just a ski tour with a full pack.
Easier to learn on snow.
Yes, the low gliding and soaring. Ah, but then there's this guy, (youtube Just a perfect day)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsKAzyKzhc . I'll stick with my Atos hg for higher flights.
Keeps one strong and fit, I have added at least 20 pounds kite gear to my backcountry ski pack.
Almost never get cold snowkiting, you'll work up a sweat getting it together after a crash. In water body dragging to retrieve the board can make me shiver.

Water rules because:
Constant ski / snowboard maintenance required, whereas the rock bruises on my feet heal themselves.
A lost ski can sink in the powder, then again I've spent way more time trolling for lost tt or surfboard than looking for a lost ski.
Powder changes to wind slab then sastrugi. The water surface is still enjoyable despite previous weather.
When a gust front comes through I'd rather be in the middle of the lake than on snow.
Harder to learn on water (a good thing if you love to learn), I am finally getting the downloop jibe consistent on the surfboard, been doing it for years on skis. Keep the challenges coming please.
The hydrofoil forum is the best thing on kf. Going to build one this winter. Cannot wait to try HFing next summer!! I plan to develop a foil for snow, should be ready by March 31st or the day after.

So, do what u can with what you got. IT'S ALL GOOD

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bigdog » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Flat bay frozen with 6-12in powder and base bonded well to ice is magic. Makes hatteras seem choppy. Also in winter I find here at least the wind us usually steady and less turbulent.
Add few more.

No crowds ;)
Beer gets colder while you ride.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:58 pm

Warm water and a sunny beach with a nice KBHF and steady side on, and here in France, topless girls in tiny strings. :heartface:
No cold snow for me thanx! :nono:
R H

Return to “Snow / Land”