Forum for snow- and landkiters
Zackbones
Rare Poster
Gear: Frenzy 7, Summit 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby Zackbones » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:23 am

Thanks for the interest in the FTs.

We went up there on Saturday and it was perfect SW wind and....no frickin' snow. The Bison lake Snotel site claimed a 17inch base and it looked promising from the valley and even driving up. But it's just dirt up there. We drove all the way up to Crane Lake. The recon did solidify our feelings that it is amazing kiting up there. It's just made for it. Just need snow. We access the area from the Dotsero exit heading N from I-70. Then left (west) on Coffee Pot rd. Quickly turns to dirt. This accesses the East FTs. It's really popular for sleds. The local club grooms the road all the way to Crane Lake I've been told.

I think the area JamesB is referring to S of Aspen is Taylor Pass. He is right it is another incredible zone. Sled access or a hefty 5 mile skin in. I've had mixed luck there on wind and snow. It's really high I think 12,500ft or more. So It's hard to hit the snow conditions right. But when it's good it's really good up there. Feels remote and very alpine because it is just that. Staying at the hut would be really fun. Otherwise its a tough zone to hit for visitors because of the absurd hotel pricing in Aspen. You could camp in the parking lot and not get hassled. Would be chilly though.

As far as the Western Slope I think Grand Mesa is the best thing going for now. The wind there is pretty reliable and Anthony is an incredible guide to the area. Just go where he tells you and it's usually a good time. They seem to always get snow even when the rest of the state is bony. I'll be heading out there this week if wind and work line up. Save some snow for me Anthony!

Happy Hunting, Z

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:24 pm

The San Juans are open for business. Lizard Head, Macmillan, and Crystal Res all have good coverage. A few rocks here and there to look out for.
LH 12-9-18.jpg

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:12 am

Can’t wait to have clear skies like that everywhere soon gonna be Beatiful :remybussi:

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:58 am

Grand Mesa update. 4' base plenty of powder mostly light wind conditions.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 pm

Hey Gang, I'll be out in Frazier next weekend with family. I have a hall pass for afternoon of January 13 and all day 14. Any easterners/northerners who want to get out? I'd love to check out some cool alpine spots. Cheers, Matt

Cperkins85
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mountain lakes and snow
Favorite Beaches: Isla blanca, San Carlos,
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Cperkins85 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:40 am

Hey all,
New to this site. I’d like to meet up with anyone in bv area to ride with. Let me know if interested.
CP

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 am

Hey CP, I live down in Salida and ride but almost never post here despite checking the recent activity. I've been riding all week down here on some frozen fields close to town that have a foot of snow. I know if you head up to Twin Lakes you'll probably run into some kiters there. There is a local named Eric that is out there quite a bit I think. I'm hoping to ride tomorrow at Mushroom Gulch on top of Trout Creek Pass if the winds fill in enough. It's got a huge wind shadow and I've only scored there twice but I'm hoping with the North in the wind direction tomorrow, it'll sneak in there. The meadow has about a foot now and is great looking...we just need the wind. Send me a pm if you want to check it. Twin Lakes is probably a safer bet for odds but I'm a sucker for terrain vs. frozen lakes. We should also check out the East end of Blue Mesa outside of Gunnison soon as it could be fun with the lake so low. Cheers

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 am

Lake Dillon is good to go.

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 pm

CP, they upped the wind forecast to 15-25 today from the NW. I'm sending you a pm with my phone number in case you get a wild hair and want to check out Mushroom Gulch today. I have high hopes the NW wind will fill in there and it will be epic if it does.

Kitejumping, thanks for the beta on Lake Dillon, forgot to mention that to CP.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:42 am

So up date on the weekend. I met up with Matt Hepp and tracked the heck out of lizard head. Now I got there about a hour and half later than Matt and couldn't find him for a while. It should have been no problem but he left tracks over every hill and dale in the valley :o Finally connected up and the first thing he's talking about is stepping from a 15 to a 17. While I'm seriously bumming out because It just seems a little strong 20mph gusts to fly my brand new 21m Soul. So instead I opt for my trusty 15 Turbine. Found out something else I would never have suspected, a 173cm snowboard the longest I've been able to find is not enough to keep me on top of 4'+ of pure powder. Either I need to go on a hardcore Keto diet or I need to take my woodworking skills and make a longer board. I'm thinking 182cm and wide with no side cut at all. Unfortunately I will also need to split it just to make it a little more complicated. Mat and Mickey, who we met there had no problems sinking in the snow on skis. While I did nothing but struggle. The wind started dying towards the end and I had to power loop just to get to the side of the road. The most embarrassing end ever. Thinking 10' would not be to much struggle to get the road. Stupid WRONG :nono: 30 MINUTES OF CUSSING finally got me on pavement and I won't relate how I got my kite out of the *)&^*^)(*&^)(*) but lets say it wasn't pretty. Did I mention I set a personal best on jumps. At least 12' high and a hundred feet distance. So the whole day was not awful just frustrating to see Matt and Mickey so seemingly effortlessly going up wind. When I was just struggling to stay UP!!!! :evil: Back home tomorrow. Grand Mesa stupid strong winds 17Mph gusting to 35Mph Still no chance to fly my new baby. I bought it because of day after day of light winds and now it is of course nuking. :-?
See you all on the mountain!! :bye:
Last edited by Anthonyshopguy on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Snow / Land”