qwertyjjj
Rare Poster
Gear: Na
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pansh - what to check on arrival?

Postby qwertyjjj » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:05 pm

From what I've read, the Pansh kites are great but need some tuning on arrival and maybe new bars/lines.
Any recommendations on what to check on arrival?
The kites seem to have a wider arc of material than say Ozone, etc.
Thinking of getting a trainer 3.5m and a blaze iii 8-10m

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Re: Pansh - what to check on arrival?

Postby windrider1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 pm

qwertyjjj wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:05 pm
From what I've read, the Pansh kites are great but need some tuning on arrival and maybe new bars/lines.
Any recommendations on what to check on arrival?
The kites seem to have a wider arc of material than say Ozone, etc.
Thinking of getting a trainer 3.5m and a blaze iii 8-10m
Take it out for a fly . leave it at the zenith depowered, does it collapse and fall to the ground ?, take it to edge of window with minimum input does it collapse? do a small jump does it collapse and fall out the sky? pull the bar in does it power up but with very little power increase . if yes to any questions then u have 2 options send it back and hope for a refund or consider it a loss and throw in the garbage. u will never be able to mod it to proper working condition.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Qwertyjjj, my Pansh Aurora II 15m flew perfectly out of the box. No tuning or modification required. I think it depends on which model Pansh you order and the individual kite you receive. I agree with windrider1 that you should fly it first to test it out. I don't agree that all is lost if you need to make some minor tuning adjustments. Pansh kites are a great value. If you have to tweek the kite to improve its performance, it'll still be a great value. Chances are, you'll be very happy. :thumb:

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster

Postby qwertyjjj » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:01 am

What is the Pansh Adam like as a trainer to start with?
3.5m
Worried it might have handles rather than a depower bar.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:23 am

Adam is a nice kite, although fixed depower.

Note on windrider, his entire bad experience with Pansh is based off one older Genesis he bought. The older Genesis had a poorly designed Z bridle , which was relatively easy to fix and many people have fixed it and like the kite. It appears Pansh has since updated the Genesis and the Z bridle looks fine from pictures of it.

The Genesis is based off the Adam. You will learn better with a 4 line depower kite.

None of the kites come with bar or handles unless you order them. The Pansh bar setup is not very good. Mainly the chicken loop is shit.

All foil kites need adjustment, and often mods become available for some popular models. All foil kites can collapse. They are most likely to collapse the lower in the window they are and the more turbulent the air is. At the Side of the window is often the worst position to hold them. Good piloting can prevent and recover from collapses.

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster

Postby qwertyjjj » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:24 am

What is a good, cheap ish handle and set of lines to go with the Pansh kites?
Or can I just get a used chicken loop and couple it with the Pansh lines?

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:52 am

qwertyjjj wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:24 am
What is a good, cheap ish handle and set of lines to go with the Pansh kites?
Or can I just get a used chicken loop and couple it with the Pansh lines?
I have coupled Pansh lines with switch bar (rod) and Ozone CL and so far fine ...need pig tails...

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster

Postby qwertyjjj » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 am

This flysurfer chicken loop ok? Not sure but it looks like it's missing something
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 5241 times

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:37 am

Old flysurfer loop was in fact quite good for it's time. It had low release forces and was reliable. It was how ever slightly difficult to reassemble with potential to do it wrong which could cause it to fail.

If you know what you are doing with it then it is fine. Otherwise a push release is much better as especially it is an action you want to learn as an instinct, and the push action is common to nearly all releases now.

You can find the manual for the old Flysurfer release. How it works is quite simple.

Personally I think chicken loops are stupid, but you may want to stick to more commercial parts as a beginner. That said the BRM ( board riding maui ) style release is very easy and cheap to make.

Yes you can buy the Pansh bar and change the chickenloop, but personally there is a couple other things not great, mainly brake strap and flagging line. You will undoubtedly have to do a bit of work to get it right. Not knowing what is good could be an issue. You could just use the FS loop, and see how you go. If you have trouble with relaunch maybe change the brake strap, but plenty of people are fine with them. The flagging line will just wear quick and you can replace with an improved one, but then maybe Pansh has improved this already. Honestly you can use the Pansh release it's just not very safe.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:12 pm

foilholio wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:23 am
Adam is a nice kite, although fixed depower.

Note on windrider, his entire bad experience with Pansh is based off one older Genesis he bought. The older Genesis had a poorly designed Z bridle , which was relatively easy to fix and many people have fixed it and like the kite. It appears Pansh has since updated the Genesis and the Z bridle looks fine from pictures of it.

The Genesis is based off the Adam. You will learn better with a 4 line depower kite.

None of the kites come with bar or handles unless you order them. The Pansh bar setup is not very good. Mainly the chicken loop is shit.

All foil kites need adjustment, and often mods become available for some popular models. All foil kites can collapse. They are most likely to collapse the lower in the window they are and the more turbulent the air is. At the Side of the window is often the worst position to hold them. Good piloting can prevent and recover from collapses.
Where did u get the idea that my dislike of pansh is based on 1 kite. That would be unfair and is not true. I was one of the first people to get on the pansh rave when they came outabout 10 years ago and have bought several of their kites throughout the years . My first kite was a blaze depower kite that collapsed on jumps, then was a genesis that when bar was pulled in the kite had zero increase in power and was extremely slow turning response it was so funny i burst out in to a laughing fit right there on the spot and then 3 rd kite was a blaze 2 i believe that collapsed and fell out of the sky into a ball when depowered at the top of the wind window. In all fairness i did own a few of their fixed brideld kites back in the day and didn't have any major problems. But odds of getting a perfect working depower kite is less than 25 % and the bad ones usually come with major defects that are not fixable without extensive kite knowledge as many claim. Pansh kites is not a good bargain as some constantly clain. Pansh is junk.

Return to “Snow / Land”