Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

When is "Big" too big?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: When is "Big" too big?

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:52 am

Fernmanus your killing me here. Just had my first decent day ,in a while, on the Grand Mesa yesterday. 12" of powder mostly untouched :D Winds steady at 10 -12 MPH with a few gusts up to maybe 16 MPH. kite 15m slingshot Turbine, Board 173cm, line length 30m Top speed was 22 with some of my best jumps ever. But still only gave it a "B" 3/4's of the time I was struggling to even move. The only time I got on top of the pow was the one strong gust which was awesome. My friend struggled even worse on a 10m apex on AT ski's., I really am turning to your way of thinking. Been reading a lot about the Souls. My only remaining cash issue would be a bar. I love my slingshot bar not sure what size it is but it is for a 15m so it would be correspondingly larger I assume though we know what that means. :P I'm talking with a FS rep tomorrow. I'll keep you in the loop with how this works out. Hopefully this will be my year to come to skyline. 4hrs and 15m from my doorstep.
Last edited by Anthonyshopguy on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:00 am

Hey Anthony,

You should be able to use your slingshot bar. The Soul requires a bar with even line lengths and a front-line depower.

The conditions you described are exactly why I use a 21. I also use a 179cm board. Keeps me on top of the fluff.

Yes, come to Skyline. It is a great place to ride. On a good day, Strawberry is even better. I would be happy to ride with you and let you know the best spots if I am in town.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 pm

Where did you find a 179cm. Did you buy it new? I found mine second hand and to this date it's the longest I've ever seen at 173cm. And yes it's one of the reasons I've had more success lately.
Last edited by Anthonyshopguy on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:12 am

My board was built by a local rider that built snowboards for kiting several years ago. The company was called 3B. Unfortunately, he is no longer making boards.

I flew the 21 again today at Strawberry. Wind started out light around 8 mph and built to 20 by the time I left. Never felt overpowered. The Soul has a ton of depower.

There are some downsides to foils. Today, I got my board hung up on a piece of sage brush and went down and dropped the kite in the confusion. One of the bridles got caught on sage brush. I had to roll up the kite and relaunch nearby in a sage-free area. It was a hassle, but worth the price of admission.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:48 am

I dont think u gain anything on the low end with a 21m kite, stick to 18m as your biggest size kite . the low end is probally 5 or 6 knts on land for both and ure not gonna get better low end with a 21m just a slower kite. 21m as far as I understand was for a heavy weight rider may be 225 pounds or more. been there done that . there is a great youtube video below about foil kites and how to get the best out of them if ure coming from lei.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 am

Windrider,

Anthony states that he weighs 100 kilos.

I would still make an argument for a 21 over an 18 for snowkiting in the mountains for people under 200 LBS. The 21 makes all the difference in deep powder, lee and wind shadowed areas. Your kite is also your motor to get you uphill. Today, I was out on my 21 Soul in 10 mph wind another kiter roughly my same weight was riding the same hill. I could make 2 laps up the hill for every one of his laps. The 21 is also better for gliding.

Now if we were talking about the water, I am in full agreement, I use my 18 Soul far more often than the 21 on the water.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:31 am

Well the next step was taken. It is no longer a topic for discussion but a chance to see who is more correct. I'm now the proud owner of the biggest kite you can buy or at least close. 21m Soul. I had a chance to fly it at lizard head last Saturday and could really have use the power towards then end of the session. But, I felt it was gusting up to or slightly over 20mph at the start of the day and with ridiculously deep powder 4'+ it did not make for the Ideal scenario to be setting up a kite first time. So instead went with my 15 slingshot. I found I could only stay on top of the freshies if I was moving fast. If I lost power or got in a wind shadow I was sinking on my board. So I guess I now need to add a new extra large board to my quiver to match my new over size kite. Oh well it never ends. Positives on the Lizard head session. Lots of jumps into really soft and DEEP Powder, including one coming down a hill that averaged 12' high and over a hundred feet long. I'd never been in the air this long, heck I even had time to look up at the kite and see how it was flying, what I of course forgot, was to steer it back to the direction I was going for a nice smooth touchdown. No instead I followed the old motto what goes up MUST come down, into 4 feet of powder mostly head first :lol: Negatives NEVER NEVER try walking out, especially uphill, in 4'+ of powder. The wind died, towards the end of session, leaving me having to power loop just to get near the road. I should have just looped right to the pavement but elected to stop 10' short of the road. Took me half an hour of cussing and fussing just to get on pavement. Tomorrow is also looking horrible for the new kite. Forecast is calling for steady at 17mph with gusting to 35 mph. No place for a 21m kite, no matter how good the depower is supposed to be. Oh well, I'll keep this thread going as I get to fly this kite and give you my impression of it.

Image Again thanks for all the input I have received :bye:

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:05 am

Hi Anthony,

Congratulations on your new kite purchase!

I agree that 20 mph winds are too much for your first session, but once you are comfortable, you will be reaching for the 21 automatically when you have 4’ of POW and 20 mph wind. It will turn a slog into a full-on powderfest!
The 21 Soul is an amazing kite. I had a solo session on mine yesterday at Skyline when the wind got so light that every other kite was grounded. Wind was only blowing 8 mph, but I could still glide 50 feet off the deck and over 200 yards. It was not enough wind to jump. It was hard to even get the kite inflated. I need to start packing a leaf blower for the lightest days.

Wait til you learn to glide, 15 feet off the deck flying over a couple hundred yards will feel routine. Please keep us posted on your progress!

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:12 am

Anthony,

If you would ever like to kite with me in Utah, just send me a PM. There are good YouTube videos on how to launch and land your kite (I suggest watching them), but sometimes it helps to see it in person. I can also give you riding and gear tips. Show you how to safely glide.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:43 pm

Wow, that's an awesome offer and here is the weird thing. I was just thinking about doing exactly that.

Return to “Snow / Land”