Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Vantage kites, is the revolution announced?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Vantage kites, is the revolution announced?

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:32 pm

that is sick! thps in kite form..

there is money in that clearly.. the gods of our great sport " world kooking", i mean "world sailing", pioneers of kiteboarding since its birth are onto it.

World sailing introduces E Sports.. they own the term world championship for that too!

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/14/spor ... index.html

Jamie-NYC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fire Island, New York
Gear: Best Kahoona 13.5m, 11.5m, 9.5m - Slingshot Turbine 17m - Pansh A15 18m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jamie-NYC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:06 pm
Jamie-NYC wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:55 am
I have 2009 kites that I favor over kites half their age. Kite design has evolved, but not changed. This is a big problem for the industry, because it means there is often little compelling reason to update one's kites (apart from heavy wear for the lucky ones) - in that environment cost is biggest factor, perhaps why the shift to online sales, and big discounts from retailers. Light weight designs are an exception - the single/no strut design development is new (last 4 yrs?). Could AI help to break the mould, make something truly new and worth spending the money for a new quiver? I hope so.
Jamie, what new kites have you tried? While I liked the Kahoona's back in the day, they are pretty long in the tooth now and feel clumsy and peaky to me now compared with my Naish Pivots, and mine are first generation from 2015 and 2016.
To be clear, I know there are good new kites, and indeed have heard that the Naish Pivot is exciting. I was just saying that new kites are evolutionary, not revolutionary. The strut-less are closer to revolutionary, to me, but still essentially the same for factor. Yes still fly 2014 Kahoonas and 2009 CrossBows, but have experience with Slingshot Turbine, Cabrinha Contra and Switchblade (all 2106+). Maybe the Kahoonas are long in the tooth, but they have great range, drift, relaunch, durability, and will fly and relaunch in very light wind, thought they won't pivot like a Pivot. I still maintain that short of major advances kite companies likely face hard times, since kites have proven to be somewhat surprisingly durable, and the sport is not growing quickly enough to provide solid support for all of the manufacturers there are now.

Jackie Treehorn
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 am

Jamie-NYC wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:55 am
ILight weight designs are an exception - the single/no strut design development is new (last 4 yrs?).
The Airush One came out in 2011, so the idea isn't that new...

Return to “Reviews”