Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: my 1 year kitesurfing world tour

Postby BrianMaiden » Wed May 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi I'm also planning a similar trip. I'm leaving the UK in July heading west for a 9 or 10 months. Planning on doing a lot of surfing too so that's influenced my destinations - there's gotta be waves!

I've done a lot of research on where is windy at what time and where is also within my budget (no more than £800 to $1100 per month). I've also taken into account that it's going to be fairly difficult to take 2 kites, a kite board and a surf board around the world ( I'm travelling on my own so that's another factor). Anyway, the route i've found that ticks most of my boxes is as follows:

Northeast Brazil - June >September
Peru - September > november
Costa Rica - November > December
Vietnam - December > Jan
Bali/Lombok/Sumbawa - Jan > feb
Western OZ - Feb - March

Don't know if this helps at all.

All comments welcome!

kmagill
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kmagill » Fri May 15, 2009 11:06 am

hi guys,
many thanks to all those who have commented and suggested. I've taken it all into consideration.

I've learned allot on where on the web the useful information is. and how to tie it together with a round the world ticket.

I'll be posting this, along with a travel blog on my website www.kitesurfaroundtheworld.com (yes I've registered it!). once i hit the road i should have time between sessions to work on the page.

awesome news is that I've found an up&coming kite brand that makes sunglasses, rashes and boards to 'sponsor' me. by that i will be a traveling sales agent promoting there brand along the way, and get a cut on sales (& get a years supply of there gear) cool eh? guess the lesson from this i'd like to share is if your going todo something worth writing about - best get someone else to pay!
www.maelstormgear.com

thanks again for your help and support. im off mid july.
Egypt-spain-san fran- brazil-nz- oz here i come. map: http://www.intelibuild.com/rtw4.jpg

k.

susanmg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC/NJ

Postby susanmg » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:59 am

hey congrats! fyi - your website isn't coming up yet...but thats awesome about the sponsorship. i'm heading out in july, starting in ecuador. i'm also blogging (its the thing to do) at www.kiteboardbum.com Similarly, ther'e slikely to be more starting in July (since I still currently have 7 more days at work and they are a little crazy right now). But hope you're looking forward to your trip as much as I'm looking forward to mine!

Shmed
Rare Poster

Postby Shmed » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:10 am

Wow, everyone's travel plans sound amazing.

kmagill, I saw on your map that you plan to go to Morocco. Essaouira is really nice, but I also recommend that you go to Dakhla if you love kiting and can fit it into the schedule. Phenomenally steady strong winds, and a really unique place that feels very remote. I also live in SF, PM me if you have any q's about the area-- it's a great place to kite.

BrianMaiden, I've kited NE Brazil, Costa Rica, Bali, and Peru-- you've picked some really amazing places to go-- also feel free to pm me if you have q's.

Susanmg, your blog is already very entertaining and I look forward to following your travels!

TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life

Postby TheKiteLife » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:15 am

Hey...I am doing the same thing...but have given myself a little more time and am stopping in some places to instruct kiteboarding.

Check out my blog at GabesKiteLife.blogspot.com

Do you have a blog?

kitesurfarisxm
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Le Gallion, SXM
Favorite Beaches: Umina, Shoal Heaven, Curl Curl in Australia
Encuentro in DR
Anegada in the BVI's
Anywhere in Los Roques
my doorstep over here...
Style: having fun....
Gear: EH beast 8m that I use as well in 12 knots than 30: magic!!!!
Brand Affiliation: kitesurfari sxm

Postby kitesurfarisxm » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi "K"
if you plan on visiting the Caribbean, SXM (Sint Marteen/saint Martin) should definitely be on your list.
Wind is on from November to August (we're spoiled with a almost 10 months long windy season!), with unreal conditions (20 knots + every day and good swell) from December to February.
Our island offers the big advantage to not be as popular as DR, and we have plenty of space and unreal riding spots. Nearby islands offers unlimited possibilities and a huge variety of sites.
The island is cheap, friendly, has a rich cultural diversity, the water never goes below 25C° and the wind is very reliable.
Feel free to drop me a line if you plan on popping by, will happily help you out and show you our best spots.
Have fun
Em
These users thanked the author kitesurfarisxm for the post:
michaelb1 (Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Travel”