Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First travel trip with kitegear

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

First travel trip with kitegear

Postby beebad » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:06 am

I am heading to south padre island soon. My first travel trip. I have an Ion bag but dont really know how much i can bring or what kites and board to bring....i have cabrinha gear. 7,9,12 and a spectrum and ace twin tip. I am sure i cant bring it all, plus wetsuit pump bars helmet and clothes...sheeeeeesh. How do you pack?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: First travel trip with kitegear

Postby Toby » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 am

Check forecast just the day before...you should limit it to 2 kites and 1 board.

You could also try to take one Kite as carry on.
I see many guys doing it successfully flying to Brazil.
This way you could take 3 kites.

I hope your ION bag says golf on it...can save you quiet a lot...check prices for sports gear and compare...normally golf is less than kitesurf gear.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Everything fit in my travel bag but do people also bring the kitebag for each kite? And the pump?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Normally you don’t need all bags...two kites can fit in one...just lay them on top of each other stretched out...and then fold them as being one...

Depends where you go...if you go to a kite center, they normally have a compressor as pump.
But if not, better to bring one, since it is never nice to ask people for their pumps...
E.g.: I live in Brasil and many people come without pump...then many want to borrow it and after a shorter while then normal use I can buy a new one...

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Cool , i was going to see about renting a pump once i got there but then such a hassle to return stuff and so on. I was able to fit my 138 ace , 3 kites and a bar in the Ion bag at 42 pounds. Will see about bringing 2 kite bags and a pump in there.

I still have the other bag to fill with other gear, plus i will do a carryon with what will be in the end a wet wetsuit if it doesnt dry out.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:18 pm

For SPI, you need all three kites for sure. The US airlines are super strict about the 50 pound limit, so don't go over that for sure. The other thing I found is they have to believe the golf bag story. Smaller golf bags like NSI deceiver work but I have tried larger ones to fit a 5'4" directional and they don't believe it's golf and charge $200, even though the larger bag still says "golf." They'll say "I've never seen a golf bag that big before". Fair enough - I don't think golf clubs are 5'4" long...

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Dont forget you get a carry-on AND a backpack on most airlines. Another kite or your wetsuit or whatever can go in that backpack.

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:22 am

Flying into harligen with southwest! I think they are kite friendly

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:55 am

Oh my god, now i am reading and it says kiteboarding stuff get charged, but i dont get it..if it is less than 62” and 50 pounds, who cares what is in the bag. So annoying...:

Sports EquipmentSpecial Items
The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items.
Javelins in a single bag, regardless of the number of javelins encased together, will be accepted.
Kayak (other than a sea kayak). Paddle(s) must be secured.
Life Raft Cartridges associated with a self-inflating life raft must be removed and are not allowed on Southwest.

Surfboard/kiteboard, keels and fins must be removed and placed in carryon or checked baggage.

Tennis rackets are recommended to be carried on since they are typically in a soft sided case. Tennis rackets checked in soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items.
Vaulting poles will be accepted in a single bag, regardless of the number of poles in the bag.
Wind surfing board, keel removed and placed in checked baggage to prevent damage to the sail, boom, and other baggage.

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 am

I think i am going to say it is parachute equipment...

Return to “Travel”