Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing beach for me, sheltered beach for my wife?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing beach for me, sheltered beach for my wife?

Postby sergei Scotland » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Every time we go on holiday with my wife it is too windy for her lie on a beach anywhere close to a kitesurfing beach.
So we usually compromise - go to a nice sheltered beach in the morning and drive (often 20-40 km) to a kitesurfing beach in the afternoon (or I drive myself :-) ).
So the question is:
anyone came across a nice kitesurfing location in Europe or not too far -
which also has a good sheltered beach within a short drive (say < 15 km)?

Ideally probably prefer staying near the sheltered beach (for my wife to be independent from me).
Ideally with some flat water for kitesurfing.

I guess I am most likely to find a location like this on an island with some mountains may be (opposite/different sides of an island might work) or may be just where there are some mountains and sheltered bays etc...

Note: my wife hates pools so a hotel pool is of no use for us :-) Has to be a beach! :girl:

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Re: Kitesurfing beach for me, sheltered beach for my wife?

Postby Qiter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Try Naxos island in Greece. Mikri Vigla is the prime kitespot on the island, its on a peninsula which has a mountain on it, on the other side (1km from the kitespot), there is a sheltered BEAUTIFUL beach for swimmers. You can see it when you look on Google Earth.
Have been there with the family, highly recommended. Very windy from June onwards until the end of September.
You can rent a flat in Mikri Vigla and the walk from one beach to the other (or take a bike).

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm

I suggest Flagbeach on Fuerteventura.
Best of both worlds..
There are nice shelters on the beach for your wife and you go out kiting.. she can even take her bikini of there.. 8)

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Qiter wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 pm
Try Naxos island in Greece. Mikri Vigla is the prime kitespot on the island, its on a peninsula which has a mountain on it, on the other side (1km from the kitespot), there is a sheltered BEAUTIFUL beach for swimmers. You can see it when you look on Google Earth.
Have been there with the family, highly recommended. Very windy from June onwards until the end of September.
You can rent a flat in Mikri Vigla and the walk from one beach to the other (or take a bike).
Thanks quiter. I guess kitesurfing beach is one facing northwest? Called Orkos beach on Google maps? Presume most wind is coming mainly from North?
Looks good.How long the kite beach is? I am a beginner and still only learning to stay upwind...

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Janus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm
Best of both worlds..
There are nice shelters on the beach for your wife and you go out kiting.. she can even take her bikini of there.. 8)
Thanks. I am not good enough for Flag beach I think as can't stay upwind yet. I understand Flag beach launch is quit narrow/short so there is no space for the walk of shame style learning there. Correct? Probably in a year time I will be good enough?

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm
Qiter wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 pm
Thanks quiter. I guess kitesurfing beach is one facing northwest? Called Orkos beach on Google maps? Presume most wind is coming mainly from North?
Looks good.How long the kite beach is? I am a beginner and still only learning to stay upwind...
Yes, its the one facing North west next to Orkos, you will also find "Thallasea Sports" kite school on the map (in the middle of the beach). The beach is rather long, my guess its about 800m, there are three kiteschools teaching there, so you have some company. Wind is side-on shore. The water is very clear, wind very strong and consistent in July and August. Plenty of options to stay within walking distance of the beach.
The rest of Naxos is also nice, has some mountains up to 1000m to hike and the food is amazing! There is more to the island than just kiting and that is why my family loved it..

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Silver Rock Barbados, there is a bit of a wind shadow near the beach launch for most wind directions

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:04 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:42 pm
Janus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm
Best of both worlds..
Thanks. I am not good enough for Flag beach I think as can't stay upwind yet. I understand Flag beach launch is quit narrow/short so there is no space for the walk of shame style learning there. Correct? Probably in a year time I will be good enough?
Check the website / pdf for the services they offer; http://www.flagbeach.com/sites/default/ ... 0Beach.pdf
I think it’s ok for the both of you..

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:05 am

le meridian hotel new caledonia.

most perfect wind angle for sheltered beach, shit loads of wind.. cross off but safe as in bay

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:20 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:05 am
le meridian hotel new caledonia.

most perfect wind angle for sheltered beach, shit loads of wind.. cross off but safe as in bay
OP says: in Europe or not too far

New Caledonia is litterally the other side of the world :lol:

Return to “Travel”