Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: World Record 19m / 63ft ! Largest Wave Ever Kitesurfed

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Seabizzle wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 am
I am going to be so brash as to suggest that all the people being critical on this thread are not people who have significant experience in real waves of consequence

Sure the simple act of riding along the wave is not highly technical but there are just so many other factors and aspects to the feat and the experience of surfing or kiting in waves like this that cannot be understood unless you have experienced similar situations. It is purely foolish to pass judgement from behind your screen and criticize this riders feat.

Classic clueless keyboard warrior behaviour :lol:
This.

No one is suggesting "nobody (else) can do this", but without being there & trying yourself it's crass to dismiss the person who HAS done it.

No big deal compared to Teahupo'o? There's no question that big Teahupo'o is a technically demanding, intimidating wave. However, comparing Teahupo'o - a reef break in warm, turquoise water, with a clearly defined channel, with dozens of boats & jet skis bobbing around, shallow, calm water on the inside & the most predictable wave on the planet, where thousands of rides have been made successfully, with the first person to kite at Nazare - a cold water, grey, crumbling & unpredictable, deep water wave set off a rocky headland with ferocious churning white water on the inside - is not a realistic comparison. Who knows what kind of currents & flukey, shifting winds you have to deal with? And adding a kite adds another different hazard you have to deal with.

That particular clip of tow surfing Nazare? I notice that very few of them show complete rides. I've watched many clips of surfing at Nazare, what I notice is that no one really gets in the "critical section" of the wave ... because the wave is so fast & unpredictable that it doesn't really allow it. The few who have attempted to commit, almost always get pounded. It's ironic, because Andrew Cotton has been criticized by keyboard warriors, first for not having the skill to "properly" surf Nazare ... & then criticized for getting caught by the wave in an attempt to ride a more critical section of the wave.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:48 pm

FranciscoCP wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 pm
I hear all perspectives above...

but let me tell you that the rider in question (Nuno "Stru" Figueiredo) is an experienced wave kitesurfer.

I've seen a bunch of videos of the guy surfing 3-4 meter waves in Supertubos (in Peniche), with monster barrels and aggressive beach breaks, and the guy has the skills and definitevly the balls...

This to say, that if he himself is happy and proud of having accomplished this, I believe it has merit.

We can discuss how much merit, but unquestionably there is quite some merit.

Its pushing the limits of kitesurfing.

If anything is to go wrong in Nazaré, you can easily pay it with your life!

(just my 2 cents...)
Absolutely! No matter what anyone says here Nuno Stru knows what he achieved that day braving what might be the biggest monster out there! No one can take that from him! He did it for himself, risked everything for his passion. He’s been preparing for this moment his whole life. What a triumph! I can just imagine the incredible stoke, the sense of victory! He’ll always look back on it with a smile and no resentful hater can take that from him. Enjoy it, man, you’ve earned huge respect. Hats down! Who cares how many others can or will do it. This is your moment! Thanks for showing us what’s possible and giving us a new dream!

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:53 pm

to truly preciate this ride, you need experience or imagination...

stru
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: p unit

Postby stru » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi guys , i check the first comments and i will post in my instagram the complete video of the wave from beggining to the very end .i am still alive so probably i made the wave until the end but.... Check insta @nunostru and fb @nunostrufig :thumb:

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip

Postby Seabizzle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:02 am

What flyboy and dwx have said sums up my thoughts exactly. To criticize this act shows a lack of understanding and appreciation

Good on you Nuno you are truly a legend

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 am

Nuno, great to see you here! You rock, man! You and Jesse, two sick boys for braving that monster... So give us the rundown while we wait for the video, if you don’t mind... like what was the set up, how did you get there & back, how did it feel? I imagine you were surprisingly calm through it all. Jetski & boats are little consolation when that monster starts pounding; they can’t help you much; I imagine the goal is not getting caught. Your fave spot? Fave barrel? Sorry, just so excited... Write in Português if it’s easier, Toby or I can translate. I can’t wait! Rock on & play safe!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 am

stru wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 pm
Hi guys , i check the first comments and i will post in my instagram the complete video of the wave from beggining to the very end .i am still alive so probably i made the wave until the end but.... Check insta @nunostru and fb @nunostrufig :thumb:
Looking forward to it Stru!

Would be cool if you could make a video like DWX said...like all the thoughts and considerations you had for riding this wave! And if you had any safety and pull out plans and precautions etc!

stru
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: p unit

Postby stru » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:39 pm

hi guys,complete ride video upload made in my instagram (untill now the only one). you can also check some interviews in my facebook and i am avalaible to make one to kiteforum of course :jump: . i more than happy to talk about this especially after 95% kitemags did not care about my press release. maybe because my first language is not english :D but i can advance some facts;
Andrew Cotton was supose to be my backup but he went to the hospital, i called rafael tapia (big wave surfer and kitesurfer) and he call be back saying that almost die in a wipeout and was changing gear but if i went in he would look for me. But when i arrived at the spot he was not there. his mate lost is board and they were looking for it. i end up doing my sesh with no instant backup . i was too focus to stop and determined to catch the biggest wave ever. i already replied to some similiar comments on my facebook ,so please check them also . For the freestylers i attached me doing a kgb . i have 26 years of surfing . i know when i am in a wave or not. Going out (and in) from the beach with 5 meters waves to a spot with 20 meters waves , be in the right place in the right time is a "little" bit more difficult than a kgb but if anyone want to try it out i am avalaible to explain all the good tips so you dont die . i will not reply to any question here . looking forward to a kiteforum (industry independent,imparcial) interview. cheers :thumb:
KGB.jpg

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Charging in large surf is absolutely a skilled and ballsy feat. There is so much more to it than meets the eye. Forgive those who comment without relevant frame of reference and massive props to you from the rest of us. Most of us can't be bothered responding to the inevitable ignorance a feat like this will elicit from a group like kite forum, and neither should you. The logistics of navigating 5m surf is beyond the reasonable abilities of 98% of the contributors here. The sheer amount of moving water involved in 15m surf is humbling to anyone with even the slightest clue. You are most definitely among the elite, and critiquing your ride should be left to your peers.

Nazare (and most really big surf) is usually shot from an elevation that robs it of so much scale. The video does not convey how steep it is where you are, the massiveness of the wall that is behind you and the danger of the coast line that is in front of you. There are many who have some understanding of scale and we are impressed!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Stru, you are crazy! Happy it worked all out !

Cannot understand the magazines...what you did is unique! And a first! And maybe never been done from anyone anymore...strange that they don't jump on it.
But nevermind, people are amazed by your bravery!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”