Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby nate76 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:50 am

Hit up Rabbit Ears today. Oodles of powder up there, best snow conditions I've had in a long, long time. Winds were a bit patchy though.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:49 pm

Dam, Nate you sound like your having a great time. We've found a great place to kite on the Mesa. Frozen lake over a mile long and 3/4 wide. With a really clean wind window to the edge of the Mesa. The Mesa itself is barely covered 6" to 8". So the lake has been our only option. But it has been good. 2 sessions both with fairly light winds. Never thought I would need a kite bigger than my 15 Turbine. But would love to try that large foil you used at snow mesa last year. Zekial? Have been working on my flying techniques. Have gotten several 4' lifts which I landed well and an 8' lift I crashed and burned, OUCH! Looking forward to seeing you and others some time. Anybody up for some fly time on the Mesa drop me a line. I feel there is petty much a regular wind at this lake starting up at noon and dying by 4. Let's go kiting.

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Awesome Anthony, sounds like you're having fun over there. Ya, the Zeek is a low wind powerhouse - quite a bit of pull in 6kts. Honestly, I would probably recommend the 18m Matrixx though (that's the big purple kite you might have seen in some of my posts) - it's a little more user friendly and makes a nice lightwind kite on water too.

I've got both sitting here at my house - you should come try them out sometime!

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:39 am

Large gathering at "kite" lake tomorrow. 12 pm lands End road, high clearance 4wd only to lake. Some shuttle available. Road closure possible, snowy light wind Conditions 8 to 12 MPH. Several people are showing up.

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Anthony, do you have a lat/long for the lake so I could take a look at it on Google Earth. Unfortunately I have other family stuff going on today so won't be able to make it up there this time, but would love to check it out at some point.

Nate

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:16 pm

39° 2'8.83"N 108° 7'24.43"W were calling it kite lake to protect the innocent.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:30 am

So for various reasons several people were unable to make it. Which left 3 of us. Tom from GJ, Justin newbie from Montrose, and Myself. As far as the kiting goes it was a very good day. Tom on his 12 north rebel, had never used a snowboard so had a little trouble figuring it all out. But he got some miles in. Justin who has only ever flown an unharnessed 3m hydra Got handed my apex 6 after showing me he had the basic concept of how to fly in the wind window. Very soon he was tillieing down wind with a big grin on his face. What I saw looked good but the kite was not big enough to do much except take him down wind. After setting up Justin I got after my 15 turbine. Burned up the lake for about an 1hr and a half. But got concerned due to drifting snow and we were in 4 miles on 4wd roads rapidly getting additional snow cover. So called it after about 2 hrs total. Score for the day Tom decided some adjustments to his bindings and lines might help him, Justin couldn't seem to wipe the smile off his face, success another "Victim of the Breeze"

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 am

So for various reasons several people were unable to make it. Which left 3 of us. Tom from GJ, Justin newbie from Montrose, and Myself. As far as the kiting goes it was a very good day. Tom on his 12 north rebel, had never used a snowboard so had a little trouble figuring it all out. But he got some miles in. Justin who has only ever flown an unharnessed 3m hydra Got handed my apex 6 after showing me he had the basic concept of how to fly in the wind window. Very soon he was tillieing down wind with a big grin on his face. What I saw looked good but the kite was not big enough to do much except take him down wind. After setting up Justin I got after my 15 turbine. Burned up the lake for about an 1hr and a half. But got concerned due to drifting snow and we were in 4 miles on 4wd roads rapidly getting additional snow cover. So called it after about 2 hrs total. Score for the day Tom decided some adjustments to his bindings and lines might help him, Justin couldn't seem to wipe the smile off his face, success another "Victim of the Breeze"

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Best thing in kiting is seeing the grin in a newbie's face when they get their first rides in!!!

Anthony - thanks for sharing and donating your time. There are very few of us that do this.

Matt V

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:34 am

Another session on the Mesa tomorrow. Hit it while its hot!!!! 12:30 lands end road.

Return to “Snow / Land”