Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fiji - Tavarua

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Fiji - Tavarua

Postby adamj2281 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 pm

So, about 7 months ago I broke my foot skateboarding (actually just stepping off a skateboard, and it was a longboard, so I barely refer to it as skateboard other than it had wheels), anyways, I was pretty bummed, middle of our kite season. The next day I got a call from the good folks at Trace who informed me I won a trip to Tavarua. Off I went, yelling like a crazy person in my airboot.

Fast forward to today, and I'm going in 3 weeks, the question is, as always, is there any decent chance for wind? I know it's mostly trades, and they are in their off/rainy season right now. So, I'm putting the chances at fairly slim of 12-14 knots, but at the same time, I don't want to lose out. So here goes for anyone that's been there:

1. Is there a chance at trades that are kiteable for a few days in a week's time?
2. Should I only bring my biggest kite (12m right now - which on a surfboard I can ride in 10-14 kts.)
3. Anything else I should know?

I'm mainly looking to relax and SUP surf, but if I can kite it would be a nice bonus.

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Re: Fiji - Tavarua

Postby John Doe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:57 pm

I'm 100% speculating, although I have kited South Pacific 3x, but not Tavarua. If you don't bring it you will need it. I would bring a big kite & a smaller kite. If it goes off, you'll be bummed you didn't have it. Use the vacuum bags to compress them. Good luck.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Hell yeah you have to bring gear. I have no idea about the forecast...but damn imagine being there, and it being windy enough to kite and not having your gear????
I have many buddies who rode cloudbreak and it is high on my list of dream destinations.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Namotu lefts.. fun softer left.. good for sup/ longboarding especially when tide running ( can smoke surfers against current).. if wind can kite too

Swimming pools( back of namotu).. usually less. Crowded fun right..

Cloudies. Works in all swell sizes! From
Wilkes.. fun right hander. Can be heavy.

Restaurants.. fo surfing... In front of tavarua.. grinding left.. cover ups.. needs a bigger swell.. do the starfish when u fall off.. ( do the starfish everywhere actually) stag coral everywhere.. take off possible further down from peak start where it can be rediculous.

Sandbar in front of plantation island ..mid/ low tide.. flat water spot a few km away if there is wind.

It is such a sick place..most awesome win! Be on peaks just as it gets light.. arrange with boat driver day before.... Start getting as fit as possible now.. will enhance your experience!

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 pm
Namotu lefts.. fun softer left.. good for sup/ longboarding especially when tide running ( can smoke surfers against current).. if wind can kite too

Swimming pools( back of namotu).. usually less. Crowded fun right..

Cloudies. Works in all swell sizes! From
Wilkes.. fun right hander. Can be heavy.

Restaurants.. fo surfing... In front of tavarua.. grinding left.. cover ups.. needs a bigger swell.. do the starfish when u fall off.. ( do the starfish everywhere actually) stag coral everywhere.. take off possible further down from peak start where it can be rediculous.

Sandbar in front of plantation island ..mid/ low tide.. flat water spot a few km away if there is wind.

It is such a sick place..most awesome win! Be on peaks just as it gets light.. arrange with boat driver day before.... Start getting as fit as possible now.. will enhance your experience!
Great info - yeah, I'm hoping to get some days at Namotu it looks like a ton of fun and I'm goofy footed, Tavarua has said they need at least 3 people to go to a certain spot other than CB, so I'm hoping I get some days in.

Working out wise - I pretty much workout everyday, although I'm in better shape when I'm kiting/surfing everyday, and well..........this month has been horrible. Hoping to make up for it the next few weeks before I go.

Pretty excited, just hoping the waves aren't crazy big. I'm surfing mushy east coast waves most of the time, and I've made some trips to CR, but Fiji is definitely a step up.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 am

Lucky dog! I've been once, but in our summer. I suspect surf is a lot smaller in the Antarctic summer, but looking at MS, seems there should be some swell:
https://magicseaweed.com/Tavarua-Cloudb ... eport/669/

Probably good for the SUP. I "surfed" CB twice, once 10-12' and once in 1-2' -- you paid for the boat, you don't know what you got til you get there. The big waves were scary/unmanageable, the smaller ones maybe more dangerous.....as you're surfing knee high waves in 2' of water over razor coral. Falling wrong meant insta-slices, or gashes in hand even just paddling too deep.

For wind, that report seems to show 12-18mph winds most days. You should borrow or buy a 14-17m kite. You'd hate to be watching just barely unrideable 8-10kt wind that you could be ripping on a 17m. For the trip of a lifetime, worth getting the anti-skunk device ... can always resell it when you get back. [I see you have OR gear....the Flite is a good one]

The fishing is great too, so I hear.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Ok, another question for anyone who has flown Fiji Airways - I'm debating whether to take my "golf bag" or not, it's 155cm. Fiji has a linear dimension max of 168 cm, the question is - do they enforce that regularly or can I get away with a golf bag as a normal checked bag as I do with the domestic airlines?

My other option is to throw the kite surfboard and kite in with my SUP and pack my harness/bar, etc. in a regular bag and use it as my checked bag.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:10 pm

The question is where are you checking in? Will the normal curbside trick work?

Ice not flown fiji but all other airlines have similar rules and it's usually not an issue. Wait.. do you mean there is an extra charge or that they will deny?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:07 pm

No easy answer.. no idea if your restrictions but print them out and have them with you.. saves stress.

I taped my kitesurfboard and surfboard and stuffed them in with my sup somehow, gave also taped a twin tip deck to if I the past.. no components.. I got charged on way back .. my friends got away with it.

Hmm. My sup bag did weigh and look a bit rediculous! Shortly after we crushed the roof of a taxi with the weight of our gear.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 pm

It does not appear that Fiji Air has an exemption for golf clubs, as many airlines do. So it might be less likely that the kite/golf bag gets through (no experience with them, just my guess)
https://www.fijiairways.com/flight-info ... d-baggage/

My lesson learned lately: I got charged the same board fee for a 10lb 6’ surfboard bag as the guy after me with a triple longboard coffin 50lbs. So if you’re going to get dinged the fee, make sure you max out the bag! Only thing is, be careful that you’re within their specified maximums for weight and lineal dimensions, as the excess baggage fees look steep. There’s also always the risk that they refuse to take it aboard if outside the regs … years ago had this happen on the way to Samoa, refused to allow our surfboard bags, which is a problem for the 1 month surf trip! (eventually convinced them, at full charge for us, half charge for 1 friend, free for the other….gotta love random discretionary fees ;-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”