Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

RE vs C1

Postby topmick » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 am

Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my harness - been using a Dakine Renegade with rope slider in waves for years now.

Has anyone used both the RE & C1 and can offer an opinion on why they would buy one over the other. ?

For me, features to look for are:

Comfortable
Easy to get in/out
Light weight
No protruding bits that could damage my surfboard

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: RE vs C1

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 pm

The only difference for the list you have is comfort and for that you just have to try them on. Sorry, no other way. I rode both and the RE was much more comfortable for me but friends had the C1 be more comfortable for them.
The only other difference is the RE is a full stiff wrap where the C1 still pinches on the sides a bit.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 pm

I fitted both. Bought the Engine with slider rope and will never go back to a hooked harness...
You should fit bothn and choose. One fitted my back considerably better than the other. Experiences of others (other than durability/finish) are useless.

GJibb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Postby GJibb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 pm

I used a Dakine Chameleon for my first 5 years and didn't know any different.
It got way way too soft and moved everywhere during every movement. Everyone in my area jumped on the rigid bandwagon.
I have tried to like them but they are just way too stiff for me in every sense. Don't fit my lumbar, pinch my sides no matter what size.
Ended up with a Dakine Pyro (2017). Feels great, stays in place wonderfully, will form to my weird shaped body over time (which I have started to notice).
If you don't have a textbook shaped body then I wouldn't expect them to fit as perfectly as someone closer to the molds.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Also, to make the hard shell harness work well you have to wear them quite tight and usually need a slider of some kind to make up for the harness not moving around. When you get it right, you can’t even tell you have a harness on.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:39 pm

topmick wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 am
Has anyone used both the RE & C1 and can offer an opinion on why they would buy one over the other. ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBhHA_0Avs
Please know that you're comparing apples to oranges. So to answer your question, one would buy the RE if they want maximum support with little to no harness pinch.
Dakine's C1 and most of the other "shell" harness currently available are either a hybrid design (hard and soft sections) or are just very supportive throughout, but still offering more flexibility and are more prone to pinching.
I've used the RE, but prefer Mystic's MX due to it's fit. Dakine's C1 is not available locally, so I have no experience with that harness.
Here's a vid comparing RE against some of the other hybrid/supportive harnesses...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8lUhZi5jfs

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Only advice I can give, if you decide RE engine fits you best, go for 2018, not 2017. 2018 harness works better with dakine slider bar. I think dakine slider is easier to keep rope tight than RE.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
FireWire

Postby topmick » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:46 am

Thanks for the replies, I'll try some on & start from there - I had a look at not sure if 2016 or 17 RE & thought the travel on the slider was limited compared to dyna/Dakine.
Looks like this might have been improved for 2018?

Cheers, top

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
FireWire

Postby topmick » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am

Anyone have a 2018 ION CS Wave harness (with rope slider) & could compare to the RE or C1 ??

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi Topmick, I have an ION CS Wave on order, this model has the rope slider as standard, should be here in about a week or two, have tried on the Freeride/Freestyle version, and the over-centre tightening system seems really good and more secure than I imagined. the CS Wave / rope slider version doesn't use the over-centre system but a more standard metal double hook that clips over a vertical pin.
I wanted the CS Wave as it is much slimmer than the Freeride, more like the Ride Engine depth/height.
also the CS Wave padding is not as thick, again more like the Ride Engine, I'd rather have good fit than armchair comfort .
Might retro fit the fixed hook/over-centre system, to the CS Wave, although I ride toeside quite a lot, always have done, personally I don't notice much difference in freedom of movement between slider and fixed.
Previously , I had the 2016 Ride Engine Hex , which didn't last long ! maybe the Carbon version would have been stronger ? Would have bought Ride Engine again if hadn't had previous problems .

Return to “Kitesurfing”