Gear: Whatever flys
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to self land core sensor pro bar

Postby SamPolish » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Hello,
Just got new gts4 with core pro bar.
Was not looking into the bar to much but overall happy with it.
I have noticed different/ high Y split point and not sure if I can self or how to land in 20-28 knots.
I kite alone sometimes and always used low V bar, pulled upper middle line for landing.

So could I just pull yellow flag line with kite low to land or have to release safety to put my kite to land?

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: How to self land core sensor pro bar

Postby dylan* » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 pm

For that much wind I'd say it really depends on how well the kite likes being pulled down, I've flown some kites that are pretty much impossible to self land like that without falling on their back, and others that just plop right down with no problem. You could pull the safety line, you just need to rig it up to be sure that it's going to be on top for whichever way you're landing it.

There's another trick where you can pull both centre lines while walking quickly upwind. In my experience this is much harder to get right than just pulling the top centre line, though.

Personally in 20+ knots I just hit the QR unless I can find a nice wind shadow to put it down in.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 pm

1)It's a bit too much wind to be self landing in that fashion to begin with
2)C-shapes don't self-land too well, especially in stronger winds
3)There's nothing preventing you from walking all the way to the split and doing what you usually do

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 am

At that point, if you are going to walk to the split, it might be safer to just keep walking the two front lines right to the kite?

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Postby Chicken-loop » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 am

On my 12m XR5, I just walk up the front lines, hand over hand until I get to the kite and gently place it on the ground. Seems to work well as once you grab above the cleat it totally depowers. I imagine this will be the same if the GTS has the same bridal/pulley set up.. I have only tried this in winds up to about 23 knots....

SamPolish
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Isle of WIGHT
Gear: Whatever flys

Postby SamPolish » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am

Great tips guys, I am trying not to kite alone but when it blows and no one is free I still go,
-I have a carabiner and dyneema during session in my drysiuts pocket, if there is an option, will use it as nr one solution
Then depending of wind speed obviously:
-let safety go
-try to find wind shadow and walk up centre lines
Good point on safety line side up Dylan, cheers
Also thought of getting big bag filled with sand or stones from the beach and use that as an anchor, not sure of its strengh but will test for sure, could be portable and easy solution.

Largorn
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Brunotti and Slingshot

Postby Largorn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 am

SamPolish wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am
[…]
I have a carabiner and dyneema during session in my drysiuts pocket, if there is an option, will use it as nr one solution
[…]
This is what I do too. Only that I already set it up at the beach when going out and leave it there, so far I still have it :wink:
It's the only self landing method that I know of that is reliably safe. When I come to the beach and no one is there and there is also no spot to fix the carabiner / dyneema, I don't go kiting anymore. Had a few very bad experiences with self landing by pulling one of the power lines. Most of the time it works, but when it goes wrong you watch your kite slowly drift into the power zone, where it then rips you off your feet.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:47 am

Currently blowing over 30 knots so I'll be out today, probably by myself. Self landing in anything over 20 knots can go wrong very quickly. If it looks like the self land will go wrong I go straight to safety, but I'm lucky having a sand beach to launch and land on so there's normally no damage to the kite. I do the same thing when self launching. Live to fight another day is an old but true saying.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:58 am

I have a kiteleash with carabiner to launch and land...works fine...if not saftey...simple ( we have sand beaches too)

wiktorek
Rare Poster

Postby wiktorek » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 am

Carabiner and dyneema is good option, if you have it :-) I know the spots, where carabiner with dyneema are fixed to the fence for years (public beaches). But this is possible, if you plan self landing. Not if you finish as the very last one, when anybody else is gone.
In strong winds I go to the V, holding power line, then unleash, then go to the kite with upper center line. Usually kite waits for me, but s**t happens. Especially that you are forced to hold in your hands one thin line only. But from me point of view this is the only option.
QR can go wrong sometimes and your are still connected to the kite :-(

Return to “Kitesurfing”