Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Mystic Merino Gloves

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 pm

Anyone own some Mystic Merino wool 1.5mm gloves ? Are they any good for really cold wind chill (0 to 5 degrees), and cold water kiting ? (UK winter kiting)
thanks

https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... love-15mm/
Last edited by BillyGoatGruff on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GJibb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Re: Mystic Merion Gloves

Postby GJibb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 pm

I'll wear merino under my wetsuit if its ~10c total combined temperature and sure its great there but I don't think i'd ever use it as my outer layer.
I also have plain merino gloves for cold weather not on the water and getting them wet is still not a good option.
For something as thin as 1.5-2mm I'd just buy the cheapest neoprene you can find.
Even Billabong makes a 1.5mm that feel like glorified latex gloves.

Bottom line, unless those gloves were seriously cheap I think I'd opt for neoprene.
That doesn't say I wouldn't try, but they'd have to be cheaper than the alternative.

andrewjohn
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mystic Merino Gloves

Postby andrewjohn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:53 am

They’re neoprene lined with merino.
I’d like to know myself if they are any good.

GJibb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Postby GJibb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:02 pm

I reread the Mystic blurb and I still didn’t have an understanding of them being “wool lined neoprene”.

I will stick with the response of if they’re meant to be thin then spend as little as possible. If you’re just cutting off chill or riding in cool water then don’t pay premium.
Most colder water wetsuits I’ve ever used/seen have always had a lining of fleece/wool. And like I said I add a merino base layer underneath.

In long, yes merino is nice as a liner. I also stand by “windskin” or whatever you want to call it on the outside of cold weather wetsuit/etc

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 pm

I didn't find them particularly good. They were warm at the start but they gave me terrible arm pump, then they got holey quickly and lost any warmth they had.

I've just replaced them with some pre-curved ION's which actually make my hands sweat - this is on the Isle of Man now, sea temp like 9 degrees.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:27 pm

The Merino were our best sellers for a good few years but lately we have seen a load more of the Mystic pre curved gloves selling through especially this current season, 3mm instead of the Merino's 1.5m and everyone seems to be saying even though they are thicker they are experiencing zero forearm burn!

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:45 pm

I have a pair of the Merino gloves. Had them two or three years now.

I find them warm, even on cold days. Sometimes I can get cold fingers because I'm hanging onto the bar too tight, so cutting off circulation.

I would say def worth a try, I wouldn't use them if they didn't work. Local sea temp at the moment is 7 degrees. Used them the other friday when it was "feels like -2" was plenty warm

fabsix
Rare Poster
Gear: Kite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fabsix » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi,

I have bought the Merino gloves this season. So I cannot comment on durability. However, I was out last Thursday at 0 C air and 2 C water temperature with the merino gloves, an Ocean Rodeo dry suite and Ion Boots 6.5mm. The session was about two hours. I think the gloves are ok, if you consider that they are only 1,5mm thick. However, I did put a heating pad in the booties and gloves, it was warm.

Have fun kiting.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:19 pm

I haven't tried the Mystic Gloves but I use these they are fantastic https://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Glove-80 ... cier+glove

I live in Canada and I kite in the spring when there is still ice floating around. These gloves are lined with merino as well and they are made of a high quality Japanese neoprene they are warm and almost indestructible. They are not designed for kiting but they work great. If they were designed for kiting they would be twice the price.

Return to “Kitesurfing”