Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Water in my Lift Mast - possible fix

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Water in my Lift Mast - fixed it

Postby pitbulldoug » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:43 pm

BigSky wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:43 pm
Okay, it appears I found a fix. For my fix I removed the screws and the barrel nut. There are no threads keeping the barrel nut in there. On the mast I taped the end where the screw enters and one end of the empty barrel nut hole. I mixed up enough 5 minute epoxy to completely fill both holes and used a brush to make sure it hit everything. I then removed the tape from where the screw enters and slowly let the epoxy mostly run out. I insert the barrel nut then tightened the screw. Once the epoxy cured I used a soldering iron to heat up the top of the screw to allow the screw to back out. Voila. I used the foil yesterday and no water.

I think I had a crack in the plastic where the wing attaches. If I'm being honest I did make pretty good contact with a rock while up on foil so that may be the cause, not QC on Lift's part. I too contacted Lift over a week ago and I'm disappointed no one is responding. I wasn't looking for a replacement after using the mast for 2 years but I was looking for a response and some suggestions. I really like Lift as a company and I've enjoyed their products but this does change my perception. Starting to think Moses for my next setup. Cheers.
Out of curiosity is that the mast for the triangular fuselage, or octagonal fuse?Just a suggestion invest in the newer one pc wing fuse it's really a great foil IMO you can't compare to moses in performance for free ride and waves kite foiling I had the moses used extensively last year until I got the new mhl waay better performance unless maybe your a racer? Kinda surprised about them not getting back with you that long there usually fairly good on that? really can't say enough good about that new 170 wing for kiting though, curious which fuse you had issue with as Ive rode both fuse max hrs with no issue like that?good luck hope it holds up,

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Re: Water in my Lift Mast - possible fix

Postby BigSky » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:53 pm

I would call it more oval but it's the newest iteration. I definitely love it.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am

BigSky wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:53 pm
I would call it more oval but it's the newest iteration. I definitely love it.
Big sky little confused as you said you used mast for 2 yrs so this can't be the latest generation mast that goes with 1pc fuselage and wing,if it's the same as the one shown in pics in previous post in thread then it's the newest generation which has been out only about a year so,not 2 yrs,be really surprised if its been out 2yrs?perhaps you been riding it for less time,?however your description with barrel bolt indicates the new gen?the new gen to me is the primo foil out for waves/ freeriding,as tried quite a few foils,strange been using my newest MHL wing/fuse combo generation close to 8 mo now for both kiting and sup foiling and have not noticed this? But after riding a few alum masts kinda comes with territory quite a bit of water in mast after riding which is annoying for sure.anyway both cures described sound fairly easy have to keep a eye on that, with that said certainly should not happen agreed,the only thing I can say that's negative about the new gen is for traveling little difficult but performance with wing/fuse 1pc is really outstanding outweighs that by far

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Re: Water in my Lift Mast - fixed it

Postby junebug » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm

BigSky wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:43 pm
Okay, it appears I found a fix. For my fix I removed the screws and the barrel nut. There are no threads keeping the barrel nut in there. On the mast I taped the end where the screw enters and one end of the empty barrel nut hole. I mixed up enough 5 minute epoxy to completely fill both holes and used a brush to make sure it hit everything. I then removed the tape from where the screw enters and slowly let the epoxy mostly run out. I insert the barrel nut then tightened the screw. Once the epoxy cured I used a soldering iron to heat up the top of the screw to allow the screw to back out. Voila. I used the foil yesterday and no water.

I think I had a crack in the plastic where the wing attaches. If I'm being honest I did make pretty good contact with a rock while up on foil so that may be the cause, not QC on Lift's part. I too contacted Lift over a week ago and I'm disappointed no one is responding. I wasn't looking for a replacement after using the mast for 2 years but I was looking for a response and some suggestions. I really like Lift as a company and I've enjoyed their products but this does change my perception. Starting to think Moses for my next setup. Cheers.
Did this method allow you to get the water out? Or did it just seal it up?

blu
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift 150 Sabfoil Gong
Naish Microchip
Levitaz EXO
Nobile NHP

Postby blu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 pm

I think I had a crack in the plastic where the wing attaches. If I'm being honest I did make pretty good contact with a rock while up on foil so that may be the cause, not QC on Lift's part.

Don't blame yourself.
Water in those masts is a very common problem, I have it and all the other people on my kite spot and Lift came out with mast drilling solution for the reason. They know about it. I also had a front wing separation which I had to fix with epoxy. There is always a trade-off when you trying to build a lightweight foil. Solid carbon would be much more expensive and heavy.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:16 pm

Because Lift wasn’t getting back to my email, I called them today. They picked up, and talked me through the mast drilling solution. They suggested filling the holes with JB Weld.

I assume this will work to get the water out, but it doesn’t address the problem of how it got there in the first place. The guy who picked up the phone didn’t really have a great solution for that, other than to suggest adding a ring of epoxy at the interface of the mast/wing insertion plate junction.

For others having this problem, have you tried the mast drilling? I’ll admit; I’m nervous about creating another potential point for water intrusion.

blu
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift 150 Sabfoil Gong
Naish Microchip
Levitaz EXO
Nobile NHP

Postby blu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 pm

junebug wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:16 pm
Because Lift wasn’t getting back to my email, I called them today. They picked up, and talked me through the mast drilling solution. They suggested filling the holes with JB Weld.

I assume this will work to get the water out, but it doesn’t address the problem of how it got there in the first place. The guy who picked up the phone didn’t really have a great solution for that, other than to suggest adding a ring of epoxy at the interface of the mast/wing insertion plate junction.

For others having this problem, have you tried the mast drilling? I’ll admit; I’m nervous about creating another potential point for water intrusion.
I believe in creating the escape route for the water if you don't mind water leaking gear, better then mast being destroyed in my garage in winter temperate below zero,

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Postby BigSky » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:26 am

First, put the mast in direct sunlight and the water will disappear/evaporate in a few hours. Getting rid of the water was always easy. I just want it to not penetrate. You're correct, I've used it for 2 summers not years. It's the new version. I've put a lot of fun hours on the mast and wings - love them. My fix worked again. I wouldn't drill a hole and then fill it. I would consider a hole if I engineered a removable plug because you're just going to get water again. I put my mast in the bath tub and move it around and found bubbles escaping from the screw entry point. that's why I targeted the epoxy there.

Return to “Hydrofoil”