Forum for kitesurfers
Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: WOO consistency

Postby Leon van Bergen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:10 am

The question is, is your highest measured jump correct? or was there sometimes wrong.
Once in a while the Woo measures a very high jump that is not happened, if you don't remove it you do not easily jump a PR. I personally removed 3 ''unreal'' high jumps the last couple of months.
A friend of mine who just started Kiteboarding jumped immediately 5.1m with 1.3g landing (so not) and now he finds it crazy he never jumps a pr :D

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:10 am
The question is, is your highest measured jump correct? or was there sometimes wrong.
Once in a while the Woo measures a very high jump that is not happened, if you don't remove it you do not easily jump a PR. I personally removed 3 ''unreal'' high jumps the last couple of months.
A friend of mine who just started Kiteboarding jumped immediately 5.1m with 1.3g landing (so not) and now he finds it crazy he never jumps a pr :D
My baseline 32 foot jump seemed fairly consistent with other similar height jumps. When I get a jump like last Sunday that I "knew" was much higher and then I find out how far off I was from my guesstimate it can be deflating. Frail ego perhaps. I am going to get a smart watch, so I can get readings on the water. Somehow an instant reality check is better than waiting until I get to the beach.

I am participating in a local "Huckfest" for fun. Shooting for the boobie prize. https://www.facebook.com/events/1088329724652716
Last edited by SalmonSlayer on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyjiggs
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast england
Favorite Beaches: south coast england
Style: freeride
Gear: naish

Postby andyjiggs » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 pm

I'm with you on this one. Been kiting a long time and only had the woo about a year.
I'm hitting a mark which I can't seem to get above.
We had a windy week last week 3 days on the trot. 1st day read a jump second day I was absolutely convinced I went higher,all my senses told me so.......except the woo.
It is deflating.
Had a friend who wasn't convinced about his Woo readings so he bought a second one.........the readings on the were much better 😃

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Looks like it was windy according to that windmeter reading..
I actually found myself overly excited about 35-40kts session on 7m a couple of times too.
Some jumps felt orbital but the woo only showed about 10m.. then I looked at friend's gopro footage and surprisingly (for me) my jumps were not that big on it ;-)
I feel that things are just faster and more exciting on a smaller kites and that tricks the brain.. at least for me as our normal kite size is ~12meters..
go figure..

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Woo has Consistently not worked correctly over sll 3 versions - thats very consistent :thumb:

Put your money towards a new bar - much better performance :cool2:

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Has thanked: 0

Postby Osprey1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 pm

I have video showing my friend and I jumping where we appear to go the same height. His highest jump read 44 feet mine 32 feet. Why the difference?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:06 pm

Osprey1 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 pm
I have video showing my friend and I jumping where we appear to go the same height. His highest jump read 44 feet mine 32 feet. Why the difference?

key word....appear. Just saying :P :P

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:00 am

Has everyone gone insane? :jump:

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:47 am

I use the woo 3 with an apple watch, so I get immediate feedback on jump height, and have my doubts about it's consistency too. I feel it reporting both higher and lower than percepted. Sometimes it's very obvious.

knuthansen
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby knuthansen » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:45 pm

I'm using both Woo3 and PIQ. Once I got a second lift from a gust, which PIQ measured 13.1m and Woo just about 10.
Prior to that, it already felt like the Woo was underreporting floaty jumps compared to those with a more aggressive takeoff.

Return to “Kitesurfing”