Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

If you LOVE your 2003 17mt fuel..............

Forum for kitesurfers
chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby chirojoseph » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:34 pm

trying to decide between the 15 and 17 Fuels 2003. I know, I know..they all turn fast on an 18 inch bar..but is the 17 mt a huge fat slut of a kite? I mean, my buddy has the mach1 18mt and, although it turns fast it is just toooo much kite and bladder IMO. I was wondering if anyone who had a 17mt 2003 fuel could give us aall an idea of the LE diameter and flat span of this kite?? Can yo ucompare it to any 2002 big kites in terms of size and time to fill up the LE etc..

Myself and others here in Mexico are just trying to decide HOW mUHC more LOW end we will really be able to extract from the 17 compared to the 15. I ride the 14 skoop and, although i love it, i want something with a more constant pull in the 10 to 14 knot range.

Any/all comments by people lucky enough to be riding these kites already MUCH appreciated.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:36 pm

Hey Jo
Re i want something with a more constant pull in the 10 to 14 knot range.

17 every time
GO BIG

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:06 pm

Hi, I am using a 17 and a 13 Fuel at the moment. I would say go for the 17. It's a very STABLE and powerful kite, which make it possible to do a lot of technicle tricks and transitions without concerning the possition of the kite. The used material is the best I have ever seen. I have been riding Naish X2 before, but the Fuels seem much stronger. I don't now the diameter of the LE neither the length of the kite, but I can measure if you want.

Raymond
Dutch Slingshot Teamrider

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:55 pm

On 2002-10-25 18:34, chirojoseph wrote:
trying to decide between the 15 and 17 Fuels 2003. I know, I know..they all turn fast on an 18 inch bar..but is the 17 mt a huge fat slut of a kite? I mean, my buddy has the mach1 18mt and, although it turns fast it is just toooo much kite and bladder IMO. I was wondering if anyone who had a 17mt 2003 fuel could give us aall an idea of the LE diameter and flat span of this kite?? Can yo ucompare it to any 2002 big kites in terms of size and time to fill up the LE etc..

Myself and others here in Mexico are just trying to decide HOW mUHC more LOW end we will really be able to extract from the 17 compared to the 15. I ride the 14 skoop and, although i love it, i want something with a more constant pull in the 10 to 14 knot range.

Any/all comments by people lucky enough to be riding these kites already MUCH appreciated.

I don't know the answer to the leading edge diameter, but I can confirm you're asking the right questions. My Toro2 18m kite has the skinniest leading edge I've ever seen in a big kite. I think this is why this kite is so much fun when the wind picks up. No need to rig smaller for a more fun kite, because this kite acts like a small kite. And I don't mean it has no power either. It's comparable to any 18m kite in that area.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:21 am

I would say at a guess that the LE diam is a little bit bigger than that of my 12m Rhino I, ie <<1.5 x diameter of the 12 North (old)

I quite like it as well doesnt feel big at all but Im not real experienced with the big ones.

Later,

PEte

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:17 am

Flying a 2003 17m SS fuel feels about the same as flying the 2002 14m fuel as far as turning speed. maybe a lot faster even. i agree with the above, if you want mass power, rig big!

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:06 am

what bout the 19m? anyone?

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:07 pm

I dunno if you will extract much more lower end out of a 17 SS than a 15. I was riding the 15 and staying upwind in 6-8 knots....what more can one expect? I think that had I been on my 17, I would have still been going upwind and MAY have had a bit more power, BUT I don't think that it would have made it possible for me to ride and stay at or upwind in any less winds than I was already riding in. Hope that made sense to you. Didn't sound like it made much sense when I said it, but when I read it, it seems ok.

Pea's Out!

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:56 pm

Hey Johnny,

As a light weight at 150 lbs, I was thinking of getting a 15 Fuel as my biggest kite. But after reading your post, would the 13 be as big as I would need?

Thanks, Alan

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:44 am

I'M FLATTERED that I would have that much influence!! After reading my post you decided? WOW!!...and I have been getting tons of emails too from people enjoying my advice and following me. This is pretty OK by me! Thanks for all of your support. If you continue to feed off of it, I will do my best to keep it flowing. OK..enuff about that. Now, about your kite and body weight.....

I only weigh in at about 165 to 170 lbs myself. My brother is smaller than I am and weighs in at about 135lb. For me, I like my 17m as much as my 15 or 13 for that matter. Depends on the wind and my mood...and sometimes I like to ride SUPER powered. My brother though on the other hand has not much use at all for the 17m Fuel. When their is just enough wind to keep a kite in the air, he can get on a floaty board like the Manta or LFT and be pretty well lit on the 15m. With that being said, what use WOULD he have for the 17m? But you weigh a bit more than he and may not have such a floaty board to use in light winds. If I was you, I may not consider going as big as the 17, but I would surely not go as small as the 13 as my biggest kite either. Should prolly just rule out the 13 for now.

So, with the 13 out of the equation, that leaves us with the 15 and 17 for you. Here's the thing. As stated above, I can go in as light of a wind on my 15 as I can my 17, so I don't really see riding in lighter winds on my 17 than I can my 15....BUT, if I wanted MAX power in those light winds, then I'd use the 17m. However, I can hold the 15m down in more winds than I can the 17m. So if I were to have to pick just one, and I was your weight(you didn't mention skill level, so I am assuming you can ride), I'd probably go with the 15 because with it I can ride in super light winds up to a pretty good bit of wind. With the 17, you wont be able to hang on in as much wind. IF riding around in 11 knots or less IS what you have in mind only for the kite, then maybe even go with the 17m...just be aware that it will be one bad bitch in heavier winds.

side note: if you arent an accomplished kitesurfer, please do stay away from the 17 for now...if you are just beginning, you may be right about getting the 13, but you may need a larger board. Beginners are much better off and a whole lot safer starting on smaller, less powerful kites and bigger more floaty boards. That way, when the shit hit's the fan, and trust me it will from time to time, you wont be getting worked so hard by so much power. As Rick Iossi mentioned in a post on here somewhere, when we fall or eat it, our engines(the kites) don't readily shut down and stop pulling us.

And finally, if you aren't a beginner and you already own some kites for other wind ranges and are just looking to add a big one for light winds, for sure don't do the 13! That brings us back again to the 15 and 17. This would be easier to answer if I knew what kites you already have, experience, and also important is what boards do you ride?

With knowing what I do know about you, which at this point isn't much, I think I would have to recommend the 2003 15m SS Fuel.

Feel free to email me with more questions if you'd like or you wish to discuss it further based on your OTHER kites and experience...or you can put the questions here. Sometimes they can be overlooked here though as I haven't the time to read everything. I TRY though.

Hope this helps. Talk to you soon.
Fly safe!

Return to “Kitesurfing”