Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Halomon
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Foam/ Fiberglass Boards

Postby Halomon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:27 pm

These are some the boards I have made over the last 5 years. Let's focus on the orange one since it is the newest at 1month old. I made it for lighter winds and riding waves. It's an assymetrical twin tip 55" long, 17"" wide; it has probably 1 3/4" of rocker and the double concaves running the length of the board are 5/16". I've used the board 3 times in wind no greater then 20mph with my 10m Halo and the board works really nice .Since I ride Airush production boards most of the time, I put in the qualities I liked the most from different boards. It has some length and width like an Exile; the bottom double concave like a Protoy, and the small boxy rails of an Expact. The board weights 6 1/2 lbs complete and ready to ride.
The materials and construction are as follows. The foam was an old, double stringer wind surfer board; stripped and reshaped. The lamination job was one layer of 4 0z cloth, followed by one layer of 10 oz cloth and 4 oz patches under the pads all done with clear 2 part epoxy resin. After wet sanding the board down to 1200 grit, it was sprayed the orange automotive paint. After this paint cures it it really durable and is hard to scratch, BUT, extremely toxic. Probably lost a few braincells on that one.
I'm uncertain of the overall strenght of this board when landing high jumps. The double stringer and the epox glass job should help but time and will tell. For now I'm going to baby it cause I love riding it; it's fast, smooth, and does not throw a lot of water in my eyes in choppy conditions. Overall I am thrilled and super stoked with this build. Best one yet and more to come down the road. CHEERS
Attachments
new small 0028.jpg
new small 0028.jpg (68.07 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
DSCF0032.gif
DSCF0032.gif (64.6 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

devin
Frequent Poster

Postby devin » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:38 pm

did you just carve the concave into the foam?

Halomon
Frequent Poster

Postby Halomon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:33 am

Yesserie bro, carved[or shaped] the double concave right into the foam just like shaping a surfboard. Did it with rough grit sand paper and finished it out with 100 grit. It was a fairly deep concave[5/16s inch deep]. Works sweet in combo with the box rail and plenty of rocker. Really happy with this board so far !!!

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:34 pm

Halomon ,what weave of cloth did you use and are you happy with the cloth weights 4 oz and 10 oz top and bottom ? Nice board by the way.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

halo

Postby blowhard » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:22 pm

sounds familiar ,
I'm working up another one also ,but I don't see your pics? :-?
I just made a couple tranny tt in the 4' length lot's of fun but very hard on my feet
so am backing up to 4'9" and starting on it soon
I'm placing the single 5" fin on a split tail 3" behind footpads(21"stance) and minimizing the distance from the end of board to fin to be about 2"
this will loosen it up some for bottom turns
fat rails in the middle some concave there also
flat in the ends and sharp rails
am moving residence so will be a while before I get together

Halomon
Frequent Poster

Postby Halomon » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:59 am

Howzit Crabman; my choice of fiberglass cloth in 4 and 10 0z was because I figured it was a good combo for strength. The 40z was laminated first so as to conform better to the surface of the board[ the 4oz being very light and easy to wrap the rails]. The 10oz was for strength and being thicker, didn't wrap as well but good enough. With the 2 part epoxy you have plenty of time to work the lamination process; wetting,squeeging, and wrapping the rails. And the fumes were way less; I highly recommend 2 part epoxy.
To Blowhard; good luck on your single fin surf machines. I attemped some but didn't like how they came out. I'm sticking to TTs for now cause that's my riding style. Adios and good kiting. Post some picts of your new sticks!!!

Return to “Gear Builders”