Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what about the TD2 after the first demo??

Forum for kitesurfers
jlv
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what about the TD2 after the first demo??

Postby jlv » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:57 am

All in the subject....

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:21 pm

Check out the Link below!

Had a chance to fly one of the first production 9M T2 in the Columbia Gorge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMg5WgMN9Q0

Conditions:

30+ gustin to 45knots ; water temp 35 degrees. :o

Did not have the right gloves so i was only out for about 30 mins. It was survival kiting at its best!

:thumb:

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dazza5172 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:52 am

Very interested to find out about this kite and what the deal is between the Link and the TD2, they seem to be a similar design characteristics

Who knows what is going on with that?

Daz

larssa
Medium Poster

Postby larssa » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:09 am

dazza5172 wrote:Very interested to find out about this kite and what the deal is between the Link and the TD2, they seem to be a similar design characteristics

Who knows what is going on with that?

Daz
I would like to know what the difference is between TD and TD2?

jlv6
Rare Poster

no more news

Postby jlv6 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:48 am

anyone test or review???

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Haven't flown it yet, but got one out of the bag today, blew it up and gave it the once over.

It was an 11, its very similar in plan to the original TD, but has a larger diameter leading edge and deeper entry. This at a guess will give a wider attack angle good low wind performance and less inclination to overfly or tumble in lulls shifts and sheers.

The struts are "bolted" into the leading edge same as the Link and new Fuel, it gives a more rigid airframe and combined with the large leading edge will result in a very resistant to distortion unit without having to pump to too high a pressure, again my conjecture at this point.

It has a deeper longer draft than the Link so will have more low end, although it is only a five strut kite so the canopy is likely to luff in overpowered depowers, so will probably not have the high end or sheer speed of a Link, but will not require quite the rider skill set and experience that a Link requires.

We're told its pretty much impossible to overfly, so tomorrow that's what we'll set out to try and achieve, if we get any wind.

Word is from those who have is that its a good un. Its got the new bridle material, a different methodology at the rear which appears to be to speed relaunch. Lots of scuff pads, a neat new device to prevent the valve coming undone, the usual slingy attention to build detail and is the entry level price point from slingshot.

The bar has thicker leader lines, leashing to centre front line, a new leash with snap on one end and dog leash style attachment the other, and a pulley bar a la TD 1st gen.

Thats about all I can recall from memory I did snap a few detail pics if I can remember where I put em I'll post em later.
Last edited by GraemeF on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:14 am

Scuff Guard near tip to help prevent self launch wear and tear

Scuff Guard and bridle attachment point

Valve release guard thingy
Larger view of valve release guard

Arrowhead scuff guard
"Bolt" on construction of strut into Leading Edge showing rising angle of strut to produce deep foil and entry.
Wing tip protection strake.

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby K3rM1t » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:10 pm

I got to see the TD2 11m in the snow last week. Chatted with the rep, but didn't get to fly it.

My impression was that the outline is very similar to the TD1, but the strut layout is completely different. They removed a pair of struts so the new kite size for size should be a little lighter. The bridle seemed to be slightly updated, but I wasn't able to get my TD1 out to compare.

I watched one guy ride in some pretty poor winds toward the end of the day. The kite appeared to fly a little faster than my TD1, but who knows, that could have been the pilot. From the few people I spoke with that had a chance to fly it, they were pretty excited.

Haven't flown the Link yet (demo waiting in my truck) but I'll compare the TD1 and Link this weekend.

/end unhelpful review...

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby K3rM1t » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:16 am

Flew the 15m Link today and posted a review. The link is a very different beast than the TDs. It's much higher aspect and didn't have the grunt of the TD1s. The 15m Link turned like my 12m TD1, but the TD has more grunt, even in the light winds (10-15mph). The Link has a ton of struts and battens and is a heavy kite because of it. The TD2's dropped a few struts from the TD1 so hopefully that weight reduction will help out the low end flying characteristics.

Looking at the Link in the air, it's higher aspect than the TDs. It turns fast and it's definitely somewhere between a C and bow kite turning style. I can't explain any better, maybe with more time on the kite. Basically the power doesn't seem to shut off as much the kite pivots like a bow (TD) does.

I think the TD2s will be more to my liking than the Links, just because I'm used to them. The Link would be great with some additional wind, waves and the right person. Now if they could make one that works well in 10-12mph... Link was not powerful enough, 16TD1 was too slow and had too much bar pressure for me. I need the porridge that's juuuust right.

ronil
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby ronil » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:11 pm

Tried the TD2 14m out of the bag Yesterday.
It was after the gale is off, still had a lot of breakers but wind was only 10-12 knots. Could only travel down wind with a Glide. Kite flies real nice. Even let the bar full depower let the kite overfly wasn't force it down. Kite seems to turn better than TD1 and defenetly more stable and predicted. I think same low wind but cant be sure, it is lighter so looks better in light winds.
It relaunches fantastic, the long tips on trailing edge do make it easier
Bow fliers will love it.
I liked it a lot from this initial demo, :wink: But i'm slingshot dealer.
Attachments
TD2-NY.jpg
TD2-NY.jpg (79.26 KiB) Viewed 2929 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”