Favorite Beaches: waddell creek
Style: just standing up right now
Gear: naish shockwave 2007
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

my next board

Postby errolprowse » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:07 am

i have been using strong but heavy 5 layer plywood for the boards i have made, the first has had no rocker and was covered with polyurathane, the next i made as a light wind board (a copy of a mako wide) with polyurathane as well. What I have learned is that these boards are heavy!!!, so my next board i want to use thinner wood and epoxy. I have used fiberglass but not yet epoxy.
so the main questions im asking are:

what kind of respirator mask should i wear?

can i use 1/4 inch plywood and layer it with epoxy?

How many layers of epoxy should i use on each side of the wood with 1/4 inch of plywood?

I dont want to use foam because im not that experinced, what is a good plywood that can be used to make a light board?

The next board im making is about 136 long, twintip and i want it for learning freestyle
I figure if i use a thinner wood it will be much easier to shape everything how i want it to be (rails, concave, rocker)

haynman
Medium Poster
Style: surf

Re: my next board

Postby haynman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:56 am

I think jimmy lewis uses balsa

kitehok
Medium Poster
Local Beach: TO

Postby kitehok » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:45 pm

I've made a couple plywood boards. They will always be a little heavy, no way to get around that. Use foam, or deal with the extra weight. Also, don't bother with epoxy unless you're glassing. Waterproof polyurethane glue and finish will be lighter than epoxy. Epoxy is more durable, but it goes on thick.

1/4" plywood throughout is not going to work very well. Even high quality baltic/russian birch is very flexy at that size. If you're desperate to save weight, use 2 layers of 1/4" but make the top layer smaller (3D top surface), then the bottom sheet will be your 1/4" rails.

A 136 wood board should have a reasonable weight. My 131x39 weighs only slightly more than my tanker surfboard (freestyle fish). Seen some Cedar boards around here, maybe a balsa substitute. I've always used 2 1/4" birch ply, super strong.

You need an organic vapour respirator for epoxy.

Phatbob
Rare Poster

Postby Phatbob » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:49 pm

I use 1/4 ply and glass each side. It is more flexy but there is no problem with that! It is quite a bit lighter then the 1/2 stuff.

I have never broke any of my 1/4 boards. My original one with one side glassed (built it like 2 years ago) was starting to show some signs of cracking around where I had put the inserts. But I had abused that board.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Epoxy you dont need a respirator, but you must use in a area that has ventilation, Gloves are a must.
No matter what you need 7 to 8 oz of glue whether it poly or epoxy to put the ply together, use Poly for sealing its faster/more durable/lighter/ plus easy to add color.
You can use 1/8 in ply in a three part wood/foam/epoxy sandwich, you will save some wt, but it will not be as durable, snaps like a glass board.
If your in with your local lumber yard 1/8 in ply can be had for free, its used for shipping high end ply they throw it out it is usually toast because it rips at the edges

errolprowse
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monterey aby
Favorite Beaches: waddell creek
Style: just standing up right now
Gear: naish shockwave 2007

Postby errolprowse » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:01 pm

Phatbob wrote:I use 1/4 ply and glass each side. It is more flexy but there is no problem with that! It is quite a bit lighter then the 1/2 stuff.

I have never broke any of my 1/4 boards. My original one with one side glassed (built it like 2 years ago) was starting to show some signs of cracking around where I had put the inserts. But I had abused that board.
what do you glass with when you use 1/4 ply? fiberglass or epoxy? what kind of cloth?

Phatbob
Rare Poster

Postby Phatbob » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:01 pm

Epoxy and fiberglass cloth from http://www.uscomposites.com/

I can't remember if the cloth was 4oz or 6oz and if it was E or S glass. I'd probably go for the 4oz s glass on both sides of the board.

Return to “Gear Builders”