Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New kiter, what should I buy?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:05 pm

Hello, after observing this forum for a few minutes, it sounds like this is an imformative bunch of kiters!! My question is this: I have been windsurfing for 14 years, and after having a local kiter jump over my head when I couldn't even waterstart, I have decided to make the switch. This local kiter has suggested an airblast 8.4. I weigh 198 lbs. I weight train and I am very athletic. Is this a good reccomendation?

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:04 am

This is my same weight! I can say I learned with a 8.9 m wipika freeair and a large directional board. With this stuff I didn't need to be overpowered to go,in fact I could plane earlier than windsurfers with 7 m sails. So it is a good sail size to start because you don't need too much wind and if you need a bit more power you can pump without any problem.
Now the point is this: airblast is a high aspect kite and this let it to have big air time and great upwind drive; on the other hand it could be too nervous and hard to relaunch from water for a beginner. I personally chose a more forgiving kite,but others could fit immediately on a kite like the airblast:it depends on your innate skills

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:21 am

you should get a kite of about 12 sqm surface area.
Wipika, Cabrinha, Takoon and Airush have projected sizes. To get surface size just multiply the sizes from a.m. brands and multiply it with 1.36.
I would recommend a Naish Aero 12, North Toro 12 or Wipika Hydro 9.0 (12.2 sqm).
All kites are intermediate kites which are easier to restart and have a good handling.

There are also other good kites to begin with, but intermediate is a good choice.

Have fun

Toby

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:38 am

I complete agree with toby's reccomendations. I had a chance to fly all of these "intermediate" kites but the toro 2 days ago and was shocked how good these kites are. I come from a high aspect "expert" kite background, but I will be buying moderate aspect kites next go around.

These kites handle well and are forgiving in tricks. They will also be easy to learn on. You can't go wrong with these as a first kite.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:41 am

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me out with my decision. I will definately start looking at the intermediate kites to start with. Thank you again!! Oh yeah, I forgot to put my name on the original message

Jason
Las Vegas, NV USA

Return to “Kitesurfing”