Underground Wavetray

Forum for kitesurfers
obxTony
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby obxTony » Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:04 pm

How about "won't snap like a production board" ???
I've seen way too many customs snapped under or near the bindings. This is something I can't afford. Any snapped WT's? If not, what separates the Underground WT construction from other customs?

Thanks Dwight

obxTony
Rare Poster

Postby obxTony » Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:26 pm

Wondering about this board. Hoping to get a chance to demo the 147 one of these days.
Seems like they get a lot of good reviews.
For those of you riding them, are you happy with them?
How durable/strong is the construction? I'm assuming there's no warranty where it is a custom. Any broken ones out there?
I've been trying to get a cracked production wake warrantied for the last month. Still hopeful on a replacement ... we'll see.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:12 am

Where are you located? Where could you demo a WT 137 od. 147?

I am very happy with both, they are nice and loose on the water but can still hold lots of power. I also know people that think they are too loose for their style of kiting so, as always, it's very individual.

Joachim

obxTony
Rare Poster

Postby obxTony » Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:21 pm

I'm in North Carolina.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:27 pm

The kite shop in Wilmington North Carolina stocks them. He will let you demo one. 910-763-1730 http://www.blowinginthewind.com

Ride Hatteras sells them rebadged under the Extreme Sports Maui label, but they cost a lot more rebadged.

Buy it with the Underground Name and save money.

obxTony
Rare Poster

Postby obxTony » Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:44 pm

Yes I've talked with Hunter about the boards. Haven't made it out there yet to check one out.

Still very interested in hearing from current/previous owners on board durability.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:44 am

The undergrounds hold pretty well. I had a 151 for 1.5 years and now a wave tray. I don't purposely ride on the sand, except a bit in winter when launching, and try to avoid riding over rocky sand whne launching. From sand riding I got the paint scraped off and the rail "softened" abit but nothing to woory about. If you don't ride on the sand you will be hard pressed to damage them on the water..they are structurally very sound. I also have only very minor dings from the board washing up on rocky beaches in smallish waves, which happens occasiionally.

They are not scratch proof as the ptex boards, but are lighter and have a better flex distribution. So basically if you don't ride alot on the sand and stick to the water they should be fine

obxTony
Rare Poster

Postby obxTony » Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:08 pm

Thanks ... that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:13 pm

I have a 147 wavetray, and have ridden it twice now, I am used to 150cm length wakeboards, with slightly larger fins than are supplied with the wavetray, I find it quite a loose board, great for tricks, very forgiving board, and it doesn't need huge power to get going like I thought it would.(I am 74kg) It doesn't hold so well at it's limit(compared to a wakeboard), as the flipped tips stop the board from biting at the tail, and I feel like it needs slightly bigger fins. I tracks well upwind on it's edge, and is quick to plane, and a fast board. I've only ridden it in choppy conditions, which it handles very well.

obxTony
Rare Poster

Postby obxTony » Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:11 pm

It's starting to sound like a 2nd board as opposed to an only board for me.

I'm 80kg and live hours from the coast ... so I tend to head out to ride on the good forecasts. My 12m and 8m Toro's get the most action. Last time out I rode the 8m all day long in upper 20's gusting into the low 30's.

I've been riding the F-One 142 wake and an older Jimmy Lewis custom 142 pickle (my son's).

Just toying with the idea of replacing the F-One 142 in the future with a WT.

I will definitely not purchase before a demo.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Return to “Kitesurfing”