Forum for kitesurfers
Airgear.com
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteloop on a jump

Postby Airgear.com » Thu May 22, 2003 7:45 am

This is a question for folks who actually CAN do it, not the ones who can theoretically pontificate on it...

Let's say I'm going left. I pull on my right hand to send it. On a regular jump, I will then pull on the left hand to bring the kite back. But, when looping the kite, do I loop it left or right? In other words, does the loop simply continue the "backwords pull" or is it done after the kite is brought back forward?

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Thu May 22, 2003 9:02 am

May this answer all your questions full view of one.

http://www.naishkites.com/onlineshop/im ... ro3sml.wmv

Rod

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Thu May 22, 2003 3:31 pm

Dimitri Maramenides, pro rider for hana crew and airush, came down to a competition here last april. He was explaining that there are two ways to do the kite loop, one that is "easy" and one that is "hard". The first one("EASY"), is let's say you are going left, you pull the bar right to jump, once you are in the air, you keep pulling it right, and the kite loops clockwise. By the time you are going to land, the kite should be going up again.

The second, is let's say you are going left, you pull the bar to the right to jump, then pull the bar back towards the left to do a counter clockwise rotation. I don't know how they have time to do this, they must really land with a lot of power and speed.

Sounds really hard to me, i'm not ready to try yet, besides i don't know if my psycho 9.5 would turn fast enough.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Fri May 23, 2003 12:39 pm

Andres,
there is only one way to find out.... :D

Janus

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri May 23, 2003 12:56 pm

video it for us...wanna see how hard you come down when you don't land it. :thumb:

evolisxl
Rare Poster

Postby evolisxl » Fri May 23, 2003 1:05 pm

Oh Moma its hard

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri May 23, 2003 1:18 pm

Andres_Santacruz wrote:Dimitri Maramenides, pro rider for hana crew and airush, came down to a competition here last april. He was explaining that there are two ways to do the kite loop, one that is "easy" and one that is "hard". The first one("EASY"), is let's say you are going left, you pull the bar right to jump, once you are in the air, you keep pulling it right, and the kite loops clockwise. By the time you are going to land, the kite should be going up again.

The second, is let's say you are going left, you pull the bar to the right to jump, then pull the bar back towards the left to do a counter clockwise rotation. I don't know how they have time to do this, they must really land with a lot of power and speed.

Sounds really hard to me, i'm not ready to try yet, besides i don't know if my psycho 9.5 would turn fast enough.
Andres it's not hard at all, it's really easy, I reckon much easier than those board off footy thingies you're teddy likes so much :D although I haven't tried them yet I must admit, but are you sure you got that the right way round? The second way you describe is what I'm doing, really overdoing recalling the kite and I think it's really easy underpowered because the kite turns back towards zenith so stays higher in the window, the way you call easy is the best way to have the kite looping at the centre of the window imo, from what I've seen, i wouldn't try it myself, I think you're much more likely to get pulled horrizontally. So I think you're got the hard and easy way mixed up there mate.
Btw, if you try the lower knots on the brake leaders the 9.5 will be fast enough for you to do this underpowered, try it and see.
There have been a few threads on this, I wrote a long description of how to cook or burn a kiteloop in the kitelooping injuries thread phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10236
Basically if you try looping the kite underpowered by totaly over-recalling her when she's high in the window it's very unlikely you'll get hurt and it's a great way to add more fun to a lightwind session.
Try it overpowered looping the kite back so she drops into the centre of the window will hurt most probably. I think this is what all the people saying "I can't do kiteloops, I tried one and got wasted" are trying.
As to what a "true" blue kiteloop is, who gives a f***? Looping the kite in a jump is great fun, you can do it in very little wind and I see no reason why it should hurt as long as you're not trying to be bloody rambo and only kite with a "If it ain't nukin, I can't have fun" attitude.
Try one and see, the first time you land, look up and see the kite looping with the lines crossed, you'll love it, one of those, "never forget that" moments.
Have fun
Jo

Ps, About the convintion part, I think it's a bit like a forward loop in windsurfing, you can tell yourself for years "I'll never be able to do that" just like you are, and as long as you keep telling yourself that, you wont

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Sun May 25, 2003 1:47 pm

Hmm. Difference in opinions here. I do what Afre describes first...the easy way, and find not much issue with it at all. I always thought I was doin it the easy way since it's not hard....now I'ma have to try the other way since Jo says it's so easy.

Doing it backwards is for sure easy though. And I too think they should first be practiced in light winds.

Johnny

White man can jump!
Medium Poster

Postby White man can jump! » Tue May 27, 2003 3:54 pm

I am also doing the first kiteloop that Andres is explaining. Except I am doing it in a forward transition (so actually the kite is doing a 540 from start to finish) and yes, the kite has completed the loop while I am still in the air. As far as easy, it may be easier than the hard way to loop, but it still takes real balls to commit to it. And after each landing, I look down to make sure I have not broken my board because you some in so hot the pop your board makes on the water is pretty loud.

But the kite isn't going up when landing, it is going horizontally through the power zone in the new direction, so hold on.

As far as Mr. Jo's coment on the windsurfing forward and telling yourself you can't do it, you are right on, you just have to go for it.

P.S. As freaky scary as this kind of kiteloop feels, it doesn't compair to the sheer raw violence of a forward loop in windsurfing. Respect.

Return to “Kitesurfing”