Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Candyland!

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Candyland!

Postby Noahpz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:05 pm

With every new horizon one gets a glimpse of the future. From our snowkite session a week ago we got a taste of Deer Mountain. On the horizon was Elk Mountain. This past week we got to session Elk and it was awesome! You might like the deep snow on Elk Mountain. You might like the 800 feet of top-to-bottom fall line vertical. You will love the side-on wind. It’s has a great view of the Centennials and it’s given us another view of the future: Candyland!

Candyland is directly west of Elk Mtn and is a snowkiters dream: Ridge after wind-lipped ridge steadily climbing upward with soft features in every direction. We scouted Candyland on our sleds while we waited for the wind to fill in on Elk and Deer. The spot was very deep and we suspect that it will deliver the goods for an epic session, sometime in the near future.

Back to Elk and Deer: The wind turned on at around mid-day and until sunset we raged on these two mountains. The whole afternoon was filled with fresh, soft powder and sky-hi boosts. It is a big place and there were times when my partner and I would disappear from view, for a half hour to an hour at a time, each of us on our own separate mountain, or in a canyon of snow and wind, in our own little snowy world.

We have a hard time believing the vastness of the kite terrain in the Red Rock Valley. It is isolated and this adds to the feeling of vastness. Deer and Elk Mountains (and someday, Candyland!) have become our favorite new kite spot for this year.

Thanks for reading and see ya out there,

Noah
Attachments
Archer-Ripping-Deer-Mtn.jpg
Lower-Elk-Mtn.jpg
Mt-Jefferson-and-Nemisis-Peak.jpg
Sawtell-Peak-In-The-Distance.jpg
West-Half-of-Deer-Mtn.jpg
Vast Deer Mtn.jpg
Floating-By.jpg
Coming-In.jpg
Eastern-Centennials-In-The-Distance.jpg
East-Side-of-Deer-Mtn.jpg
Deer-Mtn.jpg
Candyland-Viewed-From-Elk-Mtn.jpg
Touring-Candyland.jpg

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Candyland!

Postby lewmt » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:12 am

That looks just - Holy Shit! - good. Maybe a great place to hit on the way to Jackson next weekend. :thumb:

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Noah, out of the multitudes of sweet pics you've posted this winter, this set for some reason is just killing me! I guess it's because we've had so many warm days recently in Salida and I got skunked the past two outings...I'm not ready to let winter go and you're in the thick of it scoring yet again. Nice shots, thanks for keeping us hungry for more.

fstdude
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tiber Resevoir, Mission Lake, The gorge.
Gear: North Rebel, Jimmy Lewis surf board, Slingshot hovercraft with Alien Aire.
Been thanked: 0

Postby fstdude » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:14 pm

You need to get a regular snowcoach and start hauling dudes like me into places like these. Do they make a camper/trailer on skiis that you could pull with a snowcoach?

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Noahpz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

If you show up with a snowcat and I would be happy to guide. Better yet (and a lot less expensive) find a mid-2000's mtn sled and you'll be set!

criznach
Medium Poster

Postby criznach » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Sick Noah! Another bookmark in my "reasons to get a snowmobile" folder... We're still getting days in up here, but nothing like that!

Destination Moon
Medium Poster

Postby Destination Moon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:11 am

Yeah! There is something really magical looking about that spot! I'd buy a sled tomorrow if I thought it would get me back there.....Only problem is that almost every single time I have driven a sled, I turned it over. What a PIA! I'd rather skin or hitch a ride on a snow coach!

Show us the maps Noah! More Sic Pics too! Hope I get to kite that place one day. :mosh:

glickster
Medium Poster

Postby glickster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:34 am

That looks AMAZING!!!

powder hound
Rare Poster