bengreen123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: So Cal
Gear: Best all the way
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Help with directional strapped in jybes

Postby bengreen123 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:37 am

Experienced TT kiter....Got a directional (North Whip 5'7) and having a heck of a time learning how to move my feet to the other side of the straps when turning. Advice appreciated....thx

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Help with directional strapped in jybes

Postby plummet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:34 am

hey bro,

i'm in the same positrion as you. so i can't provide advice. but i did ask a similar question a couple of weeks ago.
The guys offered up some good advice.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2371994

onein5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vazon, L'Ancresse/Pembroke
Style: Sketchy!
Gear: Naish Cults 9m 12m, North Rebel 16m, RRD placebo 142 x 45
Has thanked: 0

Postby onein5 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:15 am

I'd normally be the last person in the world to jump on a thread like this and utter the cliché advice "Lose The Straps" - but - after one session (trying to ride) my directional strapped, I took ‘em off. And it wasn't because of any extra freedom of movement, foot placement, or any misguided sense that setting up your board in a certain way makes you look ‘cooler’.

It was simply because I couldn't get my head around the long and tedious process of disengaging both of my feet from the straps, Jybing, then re engaging my feet without getting teabagged.

Last night was my 5th session riding strapless - I have been forcing myself to alternate my sessions evenly between strapless and TT (and by forcing I mean only putting the relevant board in the car that day) and it has paid dividends really quickly.

I am finally Jybing with a 90% success rate and it feels amazing. Once I am up to 99% I might put the straps back on to see how I feel, but in the short term I have found my learning curve to be 100% steeper without worrying about the straps. Give it a go! You might be surprised.

If you surf already then be prepared to jybe differently depending on your direction… I find that going from my weak (switch) stance into my strong (regular) stance I can do really sweet jump jybes without any foot shuffling at all. I generally do them before I make the turn (the turn by the way is such a buzz I can’t describe it – sick). But when on my strong side, jybing to my weak one – I make the turn and start going back upwind toeside with the kite off my left shoulder, then before building up too much speed I shuffle my feet around and get into the locked position.

It does help to have a little speed, this evens out any mistakes and sometimes allows you to get away with murder. Stick with it and you’ll get it faster than you think.

Let us know how it goes!

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:00 pm

agreed, took my straps off for the same reason

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 pm

I've got a Sector 60 (race board), version 1, that I'm still having trouble jibing. I'm sure it's because I don't ride it often enough, and really concentrate on it. I'm just wondering about how tough it would be to ride it strapless, since the foot pressure needed for the race board seems different than for a surf-style directional. The race board really likes to go very fast upwind (and downwind), but in a straight line. Jibing seems to require slowing it way down, and then doing more of a pivot jibe than a carving jibe. What say the experts?

Don

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Don Monnot wrote:I've got a Sector 60 (race board), version 1, that I'm still having trouble jibing. I'm sure it's because I don't ride it often enough, and really concentrate on it. I'm just wondering about how tough it would be to ride it strapless, since the foot pressure needed for the race board seems different than for a surf-style directional. The race board really likes to go very fast upwind (and downwind), but in a straight line. Jibing seems to require slowing it way down, and then doing more of a pivot jibe than a carving jibe. What say the experts?

Don
Don, I would keep the straps on for now and practice this method of jibing your next time out. The Sector V1 is a very easy board to jibe. Its width and stability make it quite for forgiving. The only "secret" is practice, but I find when I must make a turn and not fall, I switch my stance first then jibe the board. The way to do this is, have your kite about 11o'clock and go up wind slightly(This changes with wind strength ,Lets say your moderatly powered). Move your back foot out of the strap and place it in front of the rear strap. Then, move that foot into the front strap while keeping your other foot in the
front strap for a brief moment. Bring your front foot to the back so now you are riding toe side. If you have lost some speed, bear off a little, then send the kite up and around,starting your turn.
As you get better, you can switch your feet before,during or after the turn. Always use the kite to provide balance and some lift. Good luck! Now if i could only tack better....lol

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 pm

The above is a valid technique, but in my experience, I don't think it's the easiest.

For learning, aim to be moderately powered & footstraps not too tight, so you can easily put your feet in & out. Below is a two basic technique for a two strapped surfboard, not a raceboard

1) Loosen both feet in the straps, as you bear off slightly and move the kite towards the top of the window
2) Take back foot out of strap, place it close to the other side of the front strap (1) - while the toes of your front foot are still in the strap.
3) Then place pressure on the board with what was your back foot to start turning the board.
4) Continue turning, don't just head off downwind! Just as the board starts going round on the other tack, move what was your back foot into the front strap (2) in a firm movement (whilst moving what was your front foot just out of the strap) and finish making the turn with lots of heel pressure on your new front foot & then dive the kite down to power up and continue turning, ideally (in time!) at planing speed
5) Once you have changed tacks put your back foot in the strap (3)... and that's it.

For learning, try to be positive with your footwork - on stepping, I used to count 1,2,3 - at the stages above.

Keep at it and in time you can gybe without thinking about it. But I find that as soon as fatigue sets in when I am kiting, my gybes are the first thing I start making mistakes on - but a gybe at full planing speed is very satisfying !

g0nz0
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Lepe, Poole, Meon, Hillhead
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Momentum, Custom surfboard, Skimboards
Brand Affiliation: 24-7 Boardsports employee & shop rider

Postby g0nz0 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Some good advice. Also try to 'unweight' the foot you're about to lift off the board by transferring your weight to the foot that remains on the board, so when you lift your foot up to step the board wont be unsettled & tip you in. Keeping the kite a bit higher helps to give you some uplift & lets you get away with being a bit clumsy.

Im trying to learn tacks now & it's a whole new level of difficult - trying to coordinate the kite & the footwork :-?

behindThePeak
Rare Poster

Postby behindThePeak » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 pm

best advice i got when learning that hasn't been mentioned yet: spend some time riding on one foot, or with both feet close together facing fore. the idea is to get comfortable during that precarious position in the middle of the jybe. not easy, and looks goofy, but will help you get over that mental hump.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:55 am

Hello bengreen123. 1ST thing set up your straps "7 inches apart" instead of 6 inches. 2ND thing adjust them looser to the point that both your feet go in "dead center over the centerline" of board.3RD before jibing take your foot out of back strap so that you "only have to deal" with front strap as you turn. Your front strap is controlled by curling up your toes and "hooking" it. Do not ride the front strap flat footed when cruising heelside.The front strap is used to "pull" the board nose around in tight turns after a step jibe.The back strap never sees as much action as the front strap.Learn to make the front strap your best ally.The only type of jibe with front foot flat with pressure on toes is when you carve a turn to toeside then switch both feet and re-enter front foot in strap. Your strapped Whip should feel great real soon. You only put your front foot "deep" into strap when riding toeside. Hellside riding is done with front foot pulled out a bit /at about a 45 degree angle to strap/pressure on ball of foot / toes off the board touching the underside of strap for balance. Have fun. Practice makes perfect. :) :) SupaEZ

Return to “Kitesurfing”