Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Olympic trials for Kitesurfing - Santander

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Olympic trials for Kitesurfing - Santander

Postby ronnie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:25 am

Seems to be going well so far, with 6 to 9 knots, the Course Racing should be looking good compared to the other classes.
Bit light for slalom, but they seem to have managed to run one anyway.

http://www.sbckiteboard.com/news_article?news_id=1829

http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... Itemid=140

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Olympic trials for Kitesurfing - Santander

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 am

the problem with the olympics is that they don't get to choose locations that often may have enough wind to keep a kite in the air. Anyone watch the last olympics? - image the scene - 1/2 way through race all the kites fall in the water and they all end up swimming. Even if it is accepted it is one hell of a dedication to make if you are hell bent on olympic stardom. I am still gunning for rejection! Have fun all the same...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 pm

That can be a problem.
With the windsurfers, even if there is zero wind, they can pump the sails and the best pumper wins the gold medal.

Maybe they will have to make ultra lightweight kites (balloons) pumped up with hydrogen?

If they do get over 6 knots though, they will make the other classes look boring.

They should be able to pretty much guarantee wind in Brazil.

swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby swell » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:07 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:the problem with the olympics is that they don't get to choose locations that often may have enough wind to keep a kite in the air. Anyone watch the last olympics? - image the scene - 1/2 way through race all the kites fall in the water and they all end up swimming. Even if it is accepted it is one hell of a dedication to make if you are hell bent on olympic stardom. I am still gunning for rejection! Have fun all the same...
so what? olimpics last at least 2 weeks, so almost everywhere youn can find suitable wind-conditions tu run 8-12 races in that period of time (fair enough to find out the champ).

And the windsurfers can pump some kind of simulator in the gym to find out who has the best biceps as at zero wind this doesn't have anything to do with windsurfing or racing.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:27 am

Did you watch China?

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:37 am

You forget that the ISAF doesn't select a class before the venue. This is a selection for Brazil. They chose each 4 years. Brazil will have wind. The fluttering butterfly starts are pretty but lame as a race.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:47 am

My point is simply that the Olympics will take place at places with too little wind to have a worthwhile comp with kites - it is inevitable. As for spectacular, as the novelty of kites wears off (like 10 years ago for me), they are still going round and round in circles mowing the lawn. I reckon the race guys are far better off forgetting about the olympics and putting conditions before money.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:25 am

Report from Damien Leroy:

Life is good another great day in Spain with Big winds and tons of racing.... I am so tired I am trying not to cramp just bending over “old no” I think it is my body reassuring me my muscles are still here.....

Today we ran though a ton of races and different formats, as all the kitesurfers were on the water for over 6 hours. It truly was a spectacular day learning and really fine tuning ideas that might help out the sport of Sailing, and give us the edge for maybe a chance at the Olympics. As we tried things like jumping mid way through legs, Enduro, Slalom, and Gate courses as they were evaluated by the ISAF panel. We then met back at the sailing center for debriefing.

I met the head media guy of ISAF sailing and he wanted video so he could make a push for us on their web sight. Really nice guy!! I filmed all day with my Gopro giving them something to really hit the internet with... Lets hope it works and they use it... Can be big for us as a sport..... I payed the price as my stick cam hit me in the mouth when I cartwheel in one race......All good.......

I will get photo’s to you all for day 3 but the media guy has my card....

Everyone is now talking to us and all want to try our sport.They come over in there boats to watch it is real cool.

Time for some Advil, Tylenol, Ice, ace bandages and food....

Kindly,
Damo

Damien LeRoy
"2011 Slalom World Champion"

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Ice packs are the best. I love my combo icepack knee brace. Interested to see how the short track comes out.

My on selection is you don't have to pick the same class and format over and over each year like the fin. We don't have to be like the Star class guys and have a caniption fit if we arn't an olympic class every year to eternity.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:39 am

More from Damien:

Day 4-
As we walked down to the sailing center at about 8:30am for the morning meeting, the temperature outside was like I was back home in Florida! Blue skies and incredibly warm, A beautiful day! We sat down and spent a few hours in the meeting room talking about new course ideas and fine-tuning courses we had tried.  Narrowing it down to three great courses. As the day was looking like there would be no wind we had a gear presentation at the sailing center for everyone to see and ask questions. 

After lunch most of the boat classes headed out as the wind was blowing 6 knots.  Mainly to put a show on for the president of ISAF who had just flew in to see the whole event. A few riders and our incredible kite crew of ISAF guys and IKA people got together and we went out to ride with the group of sailboats. It was quite an honor for me as I sat down on the boat with the president. 

I explained our equipment in Kitesurfing, talked about racing and tackticks and shared my passion and love for our sport.  A remarkable experience for me and a few other riders to have such a incredible experience. We raced a few fun races and headed home.  I cannot tell you how great of a day this was for our sport and for myself.  I am honored to have had this opportunity.  Thank you to all the IKA guys, Gebi, Marcus, Bruno, everyone for making this happen. All the ISAF evaluators and everyone who has been helping Thank you.   Lets see what happens now! 
Damo

Return to “Kitesurfing”