acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing is cheap and not dangerous

Postby acctx » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:42 am

I used to think kitesurfing was expensive, then we didnt have wind for a few months so I started mountain biking. Mountain biking is in a completely different category of expensive compared to kitesurfing. When you ride a mtb hard you constantly need service and break parts. I can do my own service now - but I had to buy a ton of tools. A friend of mine uses the bike shop and spends roughly 250/month in service. There are also a ton of things to upgrade on a bike. Kiting is so simple and there is hardly anything you can do to upgrade. My bike cost about 4K, then about 1K in upgrades and $500 in tools. Riding about 3-4 days/week, my operating cost will probably be about $50 a month which represents wear on the drive train, tires (which run about $70 each) and suspension servicing. You also need a backup bike so you dont miss any days in case you break something that takes a few weeks to get parts for. My backup bike cost about 1K. If you break a wheel that will cost about $500, if you break a chain that will be about $100. A rear derailleur will run you about $150.

Mountain biking is way more dangerous than kitesurfing. In our area, people have to get airlifted out of the trails a few times a year. I broke a few ribs (not actually a big deal) already in just a few months of riding. The other day I slammed my head into the ground and thought I might have a concussion. There are many more bolts and other parts that you need to make sure are tightened properly because if they come apart while riding you can get thrown, get speared in the chest by the handlebars etc. All the riders I know have broken at least one bone mountain biking. Everyone is routinely covered in scabs. MTB is similar to kitesurfing in that if you arent crashing you arent pushing yourself hard enough. The crashes just hurt a lot more. I try to be careful because I am mainly mountain biking to stay in shape for kiting.

Today was the first day Ive kited in a few months and it was great and I felt a lot safer than mountain biking technical trails.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Kitesurfing is cheap and not dangerous

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:00 am

I knew when I opened this thread it'd be a comparison to mountain biking :lol:

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:00 am

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 am

Funny thing is, even more than with kiting, with mountain biking you can have 90% of the fun, on 10% of the budget, if you get a $500 bike and a few tools, and focus on not trashing your tires, wheels etc. on every ride.
Focus on skills not who can go the biggest or buy the most carbon parts.... 8)
But yeah, you will break the bike faster, and yourself.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:40 am

Those parts prices seem high......maybe try mail order?

Don't know what caliber of parts you are buying, but here are some mail order prices for some normal replacement stuff.

SRAM Powerlock 10 Speed Chain $20.
Mavic CrossMax Disc Wheelset (two wheels) $549.
WTB Laser TCS XC / XT M756 D Wheelset (two wheels) $220.
Kenda Karma Tubeless 26X2.1 Tires $35 each, I usually find deals for $24 and sometimes closeouts for $18.
Shimano XTR Bottom Bracket $59 (should last a couple years in Austin).
Shimano XT 10 Speed Rear Derailleur $125 (should last a couple years in Austin).
Shimano LX 10 Speed Cassette $52.98 / XT 10 Speed Cassette $79.98.
Crank Bros Clipless Pedals $53.98.
Avid Disc Brake Pads $12 set.
FSA Pro Mountain 32T or 36T Chainring $36.98.
Mountain Handle Bars $19.98 - $24.98 in five different brands.
Selle Italia XR Saddle $29.98.

Used bikes on www.Mtbr.com used to be a great source for good, less expensive, quality bikes.
Just like buying used kite gear.
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:34 am

acctx wrote: Mountain biking is way more dangerous than kitesurfing.
You obviously have never kited in my waters. We all carry 9 mm hand guns and take shots at each other when someone cuts you off or makes you go downwind of your heading. Or just when we are bored.

Last week I set up a remote controlled Trebuchet and took out 40 kiters just so I could cut down on the traffic and have some space to ride.

jack bush
Medium Poster

Postby jack bush » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:57 am

Compared to the number of days i get out on my bike, Kitesurfing is way way way more expensive.
You can Bike whenever you want. You can kite only when the wind is up.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:57 am

An interesting topic for me as i have been mountain biking for 19 years and kiting for 7.

Here's my take.

kiting is most definately more expensive. $1000 for a second hand peice of fabric that you can trash on the first session in waves!! very expensive. you need several different sized bits of fabric for different winds. Those bits of fabric wear of real fast. Lines wear out... I replace at least one kite per year.

A bike on the otherhand can last for years and years. My currrent bike Full carbon ibis mojo is going sweet and is 4-5 years old now. I have replaced nothing other than tires.

As far as danger levels go. Yes indeed mountain biking is far more dangerous. If you fall off it hurts. Fall off on the water it only hurts some of the time. Of course there is far more chance of being eaten by sharks or drowning kiting that mountain biking. Also the conditions are less likely to kill you on a mountain bike.

But the thrill to risk factor ratio is alot better kitesurfing. The main reason i starting kitesurfing is that I knew I could not continue to race Downhill competatively at nationall level once kids came along. So I looked for a sport that had the same thrill factor as DH mountain biking but with less risk of injury if i Stuffed up.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 am

jack bush wrote:Compared to the number of days i get out on my bike, Kitesurfing is way way way more expensive.
You can Bike whenever you want. You can kite only when the wind is up.

You obviously don't live in Western Australia!

Not responding on biking versus kiting. But the danger factor is interesting. I'd say now yep mountain biking is more dangerous. But early on, when we were launching C kites, with little or no depower and crew used to hold you down with your harness handle...well that was at times downright dangerous.

Better technology and tamer mass appeal, I suppose you could say it is less dangerous. Then again seen that clip of rubie Lenton, in 40 knots mega looping. That could kill easily if not done right. Small margins of error there.

But as the status quo goes, I'd say even road racing with the traffic is more dangerous!

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Kiteus Maximus wrote:
acctx wrote: Mountain biking is way more dangerous than kitesurfing.
You obviously have never kited in my waters. We all carry 9 mm hand guns and take shots at each other when someone cuts you off or makes you go downwind of your heading. Or just when we are bored.

Last week I set up a remote controlled Trebuchet and took out 40 kiters just so I could cut down on the traffic and have some space to ride.
Wow KM. I feel for you. You need to come to Tennessee during some of the rare times it is windy for some therapy :D We will put you out of the boat and you can have all the kiter free water you can stand. Even better, you can jump all you want, because when you boat launch, you don't have to ever get back upwind if you don't want too because you always have someone to pick you up. :thumb:

All hobbies expenses and dangers are relative. Compared to wakeboarding, kites cost less than boats and motors, and don't burn any gas. For me, kiteboarding crashes (so far) have also proved to be less painful than some failed landings jumping wakes. I still have to keep wakeboarding though. Too many windless days to stop, but if it was an option I would kite every day.

My other windless hobby, fishing, not expensive, not dangerous. No adrenaline, but still good zen, and good excuse to be on the water. :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”