Forum for kitesurfers
Eric23
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lightwind Kite! Any suggestions?

Postby Eric23 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:05 pm

As I have understood from my experience even more important than size of kite is size of board. My weight is 85kg and with 14m North Vegas and Aboards Glider 154 i can successfully kite in the very light wind and even make various tricks. In the same time some other kiters on boards around 140-145cm can kite only on the biggest sizes Flysurfer and can only make some jumps with such set. Fast fly of Vegas allows kite to move quickly in the sky and good planning of Glider allows me to pick up speed quickly for tricks. The ability to pick-up speed quickly is most important then wind power influencing on kite intensifies and makes kite much more powerful. Think that real light wind board some skills and fast kite will help to solve many light wind related problems

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Postby eitan80 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Tried almost all kites mentioned here, IMO- beside foils, Ozone Zaphyr is THE winner for low winds.

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 pm

thanks guys
a stupid question... what is "floating" more? a 150-155cm TT or a 5'10-6' surf?

knotmyfault
Medium Poster

Postby knotmyfault » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Ozone all the way, Zéphir ...resale value is pretty good
Last edited by knotmyfault on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Its weird that no one posted to recommend the SS Turbine.

Is it not a good LW kite?

I fly a SS Rally 14M, which gets me going at about 12-13 kts using my SS Darko 142. I would expect the 17m SS Turbine to work for 8-9kts??? (Asking, saying, not sure...)

I am interested also in a LW machine, but for using a surf board. I think I can go with a 6'0" and my SS Rally 14M in... 10-11kts?

I don't think a 17M would work, I imagine dropping the kite and then not be able to launch it in the surf.

NOTES - I guess wind speed, based on observation and forecast readings/reports... and mean by "gets me going" really slow action type session.

Kitesurf Vacation
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen.
Favorite Beaches: Tulum, Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Playa del Carmen, Progreso, Isla Blanca
Style: airstyle, oldschool
Brand Affiliation: http://www.kitesurfvacation.com

Postby Kitesurf Vacation » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:48 pm

I used a couple of times the 'Best Kahoona 17 m', I was surprised how I went upwind with 10 knots,

Good Luck,

Jaime

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:42 pm

gvironda wrote:thanks guys
a stupid question... what is "floating" more? a 150-155cm TT or a 5'10-6' surf?
Not a stupid question. And not really off topic, since board size and type are more important than kites for light wind.
Surf boards "float" better thanks to their volume. It doesn't mean you'll be happier in light winds. Doors usually go better upwind. Width of the TT matters more than length.
I have dumped my large TTs since I've got the North Nugget (5' !). It beats all the doors in every compartment (min wind, upwind performance and handling). Soon, I am likely to also dump all my big foils (>15 m) and my Airush Sector. The Nugget is loads of fun, and certainly not limited to light wind riding.
Cheers :bye:

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:02 pm

jrfiol wrote:Its weird that no one posted to recommend the SS Turbine.

Is it not a good LW kite?

I fly a SS Rally 14M, which gets me going at about 12-13 kts using my SS Darko 142. I would expect the 17m SS Turbine to work for 8-9kts??? (Asking, saying, not sure...)

I am interested also in a LW machine, but for using a surf board. I think I can go with a 6'0" and my SS Rally 14M in... 10-11kts?

I don't think a 17M would work, I imagine dropping the kite and then not be able to launch it in the surf.

NOTES - I guess wind speed, based on observation and forecast readings/reports... and mean by "gets me going" really slow action type session.
I was also surprised that no one had suggested the Turbine. I use that kite ALL THE TIME! In my area, light wind is just a big, ugly fact of life. I used to have to cancel lessons when the wind got light, then I shifted to using the Turbine. Now, I never have to cancel. And if there's enough wind for the kite to fly, it WILL relaunch. I am now using that kite for my personal sessions when the wind is down. I weigh 230lbs and was riding a 158cm yesterday and having an absolute blast. I was regularly going 20-30 ft off the water with nice hang time. Here's a graph of the wind chart while I was riding (between 4-5:30 pm). I can't say enough about this kite. But of course, I work for a shop that sells them, so take it with a grain of salt. :roll: :wink:

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... +Yesterday

Bradn
Medium Poster
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone R1 V2, Custom race foil

Re: LIGHTWIND KITE! Any suggestions?

Postby Bradn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:12 am

Dan Glyaire wrote:ive heard of a kite called an 'infinity', cant seem to find much info on them.. :wink:
but have heard its epic
and you can even go in 2-4 knots :roll:
but that would SUK anyway.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Ocean Rodeo Flite 15 or 17.5 :thumb: my new favourite!

Return to “Kitesurfing”