Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Forum for kitesurfers
frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 pm

SupaEZ wrote:

It was a competition between kiters and their best LW kites..and their favorite NARROW boards
If this is true then it looks like supaEZ is the clear winner in the LW showdown from what I could see of all the videos at cocoa beach.

I was under the impression that the cocoa beach thing was a demo of the V3 but that was apparently not the case.

Could supaEZ have done as well as he did on the V3 ? all other things being equal ? I guess we'll never know.

The LW videos of Dimitry using the V3 on the sup in 2-4kts is likely not accurate IMO.. it's probably more like 4-6kts where the kite is flying... still pretty good. The cocoa beach videos show the bottom end of the V3 somewhere around 9kts for a 185lb man? not sure on that but clearly not moving very well in 7kts. The 19m core was clearly planing and staying up wind in the 7kts.

So from a point of view of bringing your best LW gear and see who wins... supaEZ wins IMO... and it pains me to admit that :lol:

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Aummm wrote:
Hansen Aerosports wrote:Hi Aummm: IMHO, the true measure of light wind performance is upwind VMG(efficiency) which becomes more evident as the wind dimishes. High aspect/high projected area kites are typically better in this regard. Low aspect 'bucket' kites typically sit deeper with grunt and faster turning.
There is plenty of middle ground and 'bragging rights' (highly dependent on the board/rider) so the real test is effective upwind VMG.
Cheers! :thumb:
Aummm wrote:opinion yet from others like Bill Hansen
FINALLY MYTHBUSTING because it is NOT POSSIBLE TO SOUP in 2 to 4 knots of wind. :thumb:
soul19 wrote:Supa needs to come clean with the fact that his use of a lightwind raceboard with lightwind performance fins made the difference in the riding department.
Flame on Taut :nono:
I understand you're an artist so let me help you with more colors
and looks like you guys NEED TO COME CLEAN after all the evidences and free choices:

You expect people in this strange world to shut up,
When everyone is playing off their f#cking face frozen mock up.
While the world's Epic dictators on "narrow board" spreading and dictating Ghost Sh!t,
Recruited whore's SUP News, excuse of forum's "long lines" U 2 - 4 Kn f#ckwhitt.
Prohibited of free opinion because color gray is legal which is obviously Gay,
In this color-blind Epic world spreading fake aggressive bullish!t everyday :!:
:bye: :bye:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Guys, for me this was not a contest this was a demo so people can actually test the INFINITY V3 and see its performance in very light wind conditions.
You can see that both of us were planning in very light winds. Both of the videos shows it. Plus you can see a 3rd video of the INFINITY V3 having fun on the SUP the next day in lighter wind while other kiters were surfing on the SUP boards.
Again if I had used the extra 5 meter lines that day I would of had more power on the INFINITY V3 but I kept the 22 meter lines because I did not really need to change them.
Any way I know the limit of the INFINITY V3 and its performance.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Poster: Aummm
FINALLY MYTHBUSTING because it is NOT POSSIBLE TO SOUP in 2 to 4 knots of wind. :thumb:
Hansen Aerosports wrote:
Hi Aummm: IMHO, the true measure of light wind performance is upwind VMG(efficiency) which becomes more evident as the wind dimishes. High aspect/high projected area kites are typically better in this regard. Low aspect 'bucket' kites typically sit deeper with grunt and faster turning.
There is plenty of middle ground and 'bragging rights' (highly dependent on the board/rider) so the real test is effective upwind VMG.
Aummm wrote:
opinion yet from others like Bill Hansen
With all due respect Mr.Aummm. But why do you think Bill Hansen has not come up with a good light wind kite yet!!!! He is a good friend of mine and I do respect him a lot. He has a lot of good ideas and we have worked together in the past but again things looks good on paper. But it is different when you bring this idea to life.
As you can see I have videos and lots of witnesses that saw the performance of the INFINITY V3 in less then 5 knots. But again you need to use an SUP board or an oil tanker. But the idea was to show you how well the kite was able to stay up in the air with out falling in the water. I did try this with the INFINITY V2 and did not succeed because I had to swim back home. So that's the truth. But again who wants to kite in less then 8 knots.
Last edited by Dimitri M on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Guys, for me this was not a contest this was a demo
Any way I know the limit of the INFINITY V3 and its performance.
Come on be truthful......it was a lot of BOTH

And YES... after that EYE opener afternoon...you REALLY know now the V3's performance limit

You have some explaining to do as of why you did not use your ATV 19 1/2" wide surfboard

(It would have made no difference in my opinion..maybe jibing ain't your thing with onshore LW)

And if i took your kite with my board i could not have done at all what i did with my own kite

However if you would have had a chance to ride with my kite you would have done so much better

So in the end....it was all about the kites...not the boards..or riders

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Poster: SupaEZ
Come on be truthful......it was a lot of BOTH
And YES... after that EYE opener afternoon...you REALLY know now the V3's performance limit
You have some explaining to do as of why you did not use your ATV 19 1/2" wide surfboard
(It would have made no difference in my opinion..maybe jibing ain't your thing with onshore LW)
And if i took your kite with my board i could not have done at all what i did with my own kite
However if you would have had a chance to ride with my kite you would have done so much better
So in the end....it was all about the kites...not the boards..or riders
What ever you say my friend. I'll take the high road. But before I do that I need to check on something very important, just to make sure. (see picture).
Attachments
Dimitri checking SupaEZ balls.jpg
Last edited by Dimitri M on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Aummm wrote:
Hansen Aerosports wrote:Hi Aummm: IMHO, the true measure of light wind performance is upwind VMG(efficiency) which becomes more evident as the wind dimishes. High aspect/high projected area kites are typically better in this regard. Low aspect 'bucket' kites typically sit deeper with grunt and faster turning.
this if you want your kite to fly at the edge of the window, on the epic line-up they got the racer for that

from what i understand the infinity is a different animal, not designed to have the best VMG at the lightest winds but as a light wind kite where some free-style fun is do-able or you want to grab a skim where some kite agility is welcome

personally i would pick the infinity over the racer any day even if at the expense of some walking
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Dimitri M wrote: Plus you can see a 3rd video of the INFINITY V3 having fun on the SUP the next day in lighter wind while other kiters were surfing on the SUP boards.
yeaha Dimitri, but I wonder if with that SUP within the same conditions you would be able to do the same with a 3m foil or a 5m renegade.. i believe you would, just slower.

and if true what could we conclude about those small kites ability to perform in light wind?

it was a nice video, mad skills, good marketing. but using a SUP.....conclusions are a bit misleading
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi Dimitri:
Perhaps you missed this review last October?
Cheers from beautiful Hawaii! :thumb: :thumb:
- Bill
Bradn wrote:Hi all
Brief review for switch kites nitro 16m Race edition

I tried this out on a dying sea-breeze, with a raceboard. 7-9 knots without long lines.
Initially I dry flew it, not thinking that there was even enough wind to go out! that proved me wrong, it could hover at the side of the window, fly back and forth perfectly with no issues.

The one thing that I really liked about it was how much power it could generate from the apparent wind once you were planing, it was never ending, with upwind speeds of 15-16 knots, amazing for sub 10 knot winds!

It was very stable through the lows, if the wind dropped you would slowly fall off the plane and the kite would sit there, unlike some others which would just fall out of the sky.

Turning speed surprised me, I thought a big kite would be very slow, but it was quicker than I expected, which was very useful for the downloops going around marks and the aggressive sine-wave needed for the downwinds.

Relaunch was crazy, never have I relaunched a kite with such little effort in light winds. pull 1 line and the kite flips over, or pump the kite out of the water with reverse relaunch. ( waist deep water) easy.

I have a new-found love for light winds, they are so rewarding and fun! no more waiting on the beach! :thumb:
Dimitri M wrote:But why do you think Bill Hansen has not come up with a good light wind kite yet!!!! He is a good friend of mine and I do respect him a lot. He has a lot of good ideas and we have worked together in the past but again things looks good on paper. But it is different when you bring this idea to life.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:23 pm

:
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”