Sunshine
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Surfboard size

Postby Sunshine » Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 am

Hey guys

I'm looking to buy an all round surfboard that I can ride with or without kite in medium surf. The option to ride with straps would be nice too. I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs, as I've only owned twin tips I don't really know what to go to for in size and style, any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Surfboard size

Postby tautologies » Tue May 14, 2013 4:01 am

Don't try to get a surfboard for kiting and surfing. If you are not really good at surfing this is such a bad idea ..and even if you are the board will suck at atleast one of the sports... :)

If you are used to tt go initially with something that likes power. At your weight the naish global is a good fit. Great for all sorts of conditions. Strapped and unstrapped.

Then for regular surfing get a much bigger board.
Last edited by tautologies on Tue May 14, 2013 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

JBD
Medium Poster

Postby JBD » Tue May 14, 2013 5:27 am

tautologies is spot on!

If you choose to try one board for both look at the Firewire line. They are surfboards built stronger to kite. They still have the original volume, rail , rocker, and bottom shape for surfing but do sacrifice some flex with the stronger layup.

Sunshine
Rare Poster

Postby Sunshine » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 am

Good to know, I think I will start with a kite specific board. I found a good sale on Cabrinha boards, any experience on the 2012 "Pete", "Squad" and "Trigger" boards?

I will be moving from riding lakes in Canada to the Ocean in Chile later this year so I want to get my quiver ready!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue May 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Those cabrinha boards suck for actual surfing. They are great behind the kite though

if I were you i would just go to a local surf shop and pick up a used surfboard that looks like something you'd want to surf on. You'll be able to use it for kiting just fine unless you get a longboard or something

Don't put straps on it... if you want to jump, ride a twintip, if you want to surf, ride a surfboard

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm

dyyylan wrote: You'll be able to use it for kiting just fine
Sure you can hammer in a nail with a screwdriver, but it is not the right tool for the job (if you want more lame metaphors? I have tons I tell you. TONS!!). :lol:

Sure you'll be able to get pulled around on just about anything. The board you need to get to started surfing will be like riding a boat with a kite. Not great for development of skills IMO. Even if you learn something at least minimize the impact of the variables that hinder development.

Return to “Kitesurfing”