Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Rebel 2014

Postby piccio » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 pm

about jumping we should consider turning speed of bigger rebels (from 8 on) being not so fast,consequently is requested perfect timing, strenght,energy and kilos to make good jumps.
sure other kites that turn more rapidly allow an" immediate take off" and maybe on these sizes rebels loose something.
I use rebels in mediterranean short ugly windy waves and found not so easy get perfect timing all the time for example with a 9. sure is different and better with larger ocean waves .
completely different with smaller rebels(567),even being still not super fast in rotation like others their turning speed is enough for jumping and is easier to use the extra power and precision proper of rebels .
on these sizes ,strong winds, they gain something above 4 lines kite ,no doubt 5th line gives flight precision that finally means breaking a surfboard when landing or not breaking it!
never tried fuse, not so popular here,cannot say anything but is a four line!!!!!!!!

Chris_32
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chris_32 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:40 am

piccio wrote:about jumping we should consider turning speed of bigger rebels (from 8 on) being not so fast,consequently is requested perfect timing, strenght,energy and kilos to make good jumps.
i like my 2013 rebels a lot, but the turning speed of my 12m is so slow (adaptive tip is on hard -never tried the other possibilty becauxe of my 93kg) :evil: :evil: :oops:
so that the timing is not easy coming down slowly/land ... bandit 5/6 is much faster .. but no 5th

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:24 am

quite disagreee
I am used to Bandit, EVO e NEOs, and the Rebel is just sick easy to jump
you just send it and goes SO high and floats SO much
to go as high with the other sails, you need perfect timing, Rebel is a real paragliding / elevator

Chris_32
Rare Poster

Postby Chris_32 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 am

gvironda wrote:Rebel is a real paragliding / elevator
total agree... but for going down/land soft i needed some time for the timing for steering the kite forward... just at my slower 12m .. the 9 and 7 jumps as hell :thumb:

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 am

Chris_32 wrote:
gvironda wrote:Rebel is a real paragliding / elevator
total agree... but for going down/land soft i needed some time for the timing for steering the kite forward... just at my slower 12m .. the 9 and 7 jumps as hell :thumb:
It's the rider not the kite. Some sugegstions:
- On redirect to landing make a conscious effort to PUSH with your back hand as well as pull on the bar with your front hand. You will see kite turning much faster
- Use a longer bar. I have a Cabrinha 60cm much better than the stock North bar and it makes my 12m move noticeably faster.

Cheers

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:25 am

Of course the rebel is slower than an evo etc, it is much higher aspect. But then it rewards jump potential and if you are landing hard you need to look at your technique not the kite, this kite can be landed as soft as butter in the right hands. It really is an exceptional, kite for what it does. I just hated it in the waves, really did.

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Westozzy, what was that you did not like in the waves?
I could not test the rebel in that conditions, just for jumping and some downwinds with moderate waves, where it was not too bad
I still find strange that some riders use the rebel in big big waves
Cheers

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:11 am

Kite stalls in the critical sections when you need to turn it back, then due to its aspect builds to much speed and pulls you off the wave. For for general purpose wave freeriding it would suffice, like any kite you need work within its limitations. But for those who want to move closer in the spectrum to pure wave riding, even with the need for some freeride as well, there are much better kites.

But when one giveth, one taketh . You want serious boost, glide and power then these design needs are counter to wave riding. And hence kites sit all along this spectrum, you just have to find what suites you best.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:00 am

Is this the best wave kite: "Unmatched down the line Drift"?

http://shop.bwsurf.com/products/noise-kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”