Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's the best twintip board for wave riding...?

Forum for kitesurfers
Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: What's the best twintip board for wave riding...?

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:52 pm

John-B wrote:
CapatainJ wrote: They have a Mako style shape, but thats about it.

Extremely advanced construction, very light weight, massive pop, single concave 7mm, glides along like a Mako, feels very lively!
They look a bit like the Speedball!

Agreed john. With a splash of mako...lol.

And nico.....mate I ride with a possy of pumped up TT riders(and one straight out SB rider) who are straight shooting fellas. You bring that attitude to our local and well you won't be back ion a hurry that's all I need to say. Doesn't matter what craft you are on priority is the same for everyone.

Must admit though, there is a couple of SB riders who rip shit apart at our local (most don't and look like lame ducks) and I tend to give em bit more room if a real decent head high or above comes in, I also do it for the couple of windsurfers who still exist. Kind of out of respect.

But no matter just turn around and boost huge over the next peak and land on the wave behind it and follow that one in..lol.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nico » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:10 am

Westozzy you said and do exactly the same thing,
and yes it is about respect.

"Must admit though, there is a couple of SB riders who rip shit apart at our local (most don't and look like lame ducks) and I tend to give em bit more room if a real decent head high or above comes in, I also do it for the couple of windsurfers who still exist. Kind of out of respect."

Nico

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 am

Doesn't look the same to me.

"Doesn't matter what craft you are on priority is the same for everyone. "

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Le Morne.

Postby Nico » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:35 am

Thats no problem Loco.
Two people two opinions, no worries, this hapens everyday.
The respect is about respecting local rules and the locals.
I do this wherever I travel and have had no problems accepting rules that might seem odd to me.
Regards
Nico

CapatainJ
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham Beach, Lancing
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: North Rebels, Mako 150

Postby CapatainJ » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:18 am

Going back to the Nomad and its similarity with some of the mass produced boards.

The similarity, I.e rounded profile, pronounced single concave are really just that. Visually they look the same.

However this is the actual description and spec of the board, and is the main reason why I bought them

" We took all the best materials , 12 years of making carbon kiteboards , developed new technology and built one Kiteboard , The Prototype!! . We then tested the board in one of the hardest winters seen in Tarifa, Spain for years , 6 test twintips where built and tested , each board varying in stiffness, weight and shape, the most extreme weight at 1.5 kilos , an amazing kiteboard to test . For the first time ever in kiteboard design we designed flex into the width of the kiteboard, the drive rail is 8 times stiffer than the offside rail . For the first time ever we mixed convex with concave and shaped a highly precise under/top shape . We developed a construction system unbreakable at an impressive 2 kilo weight, positioning a 2 kilo board for landings is extremely precise. The most important development not yet achieved by any shaper in kitesurfing , the secret how to create genuine, send it high pop . The secret is a careful combination of materials , shape and varying flex areas along the width and the length of the kiteboard. We guarantee you shall jump higher than any other twintip on the market today."

And construction.

"The Prototype's Carbon Laminates , hand built in Tarifa , use individual components to create stiffness and flex in specific areas . The technique in laminating involves hand laying 15mm strips in key positions , the most time consuming is the drive rail layup. The drive rail consists of 250 individual strips at 90 degrees to each other and at 45 degrees to the main carbon weave . To control Torsion and unwanted bend in the water dynamics a 55mm X format is laminated on top of the entire layup. The layup for the top and bottom laminates are identical , within this system the graphics are positioned and sublimated with fine S-Glass fibre's ."

http://www.nomadkiteboarding.com/index- ... nomad.html

As you can see the Nomad is no ordinary kite board. Can't wait to get out on the smaller of the two in some big winds!

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Le Morne.

Postby Nico » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Birkbeck, get a surfboard mate.
You will not regret it.
Any old surfboard will do the trick.
Get used to controling it 100% on flat water and your away for another dimension of riding.
Nico

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:02 pm

Nobody has yet mentioned the Flywave from Flysurfer. I am a Mako rider, and have not ridden one, so I can't comment. It is a specifically designed wave TT.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:46 am

CapatainJ wrote:Going back to the Nomad and its similarity with some of the mass produced boards.

The similarity, I.e rounded profile, pronounced single concave are really just that. Visually they look the same.

However this is the actual description and spec of the board, and is the main reason why I bought them

" We took all the best materials , 12 years of making carbon kiteboards , developed new technology and built one Kiteboard , The Prototype!! . We then tested the board in one of the hardest winters seen in Tarifa, Spain for years , 6 test twintips where built and tested , each board varying in stiffness, weight and shape, the most extreme weight at 1.5 kilos , an amazing kiteboard to test . For the first time ever in kiteboard design we designed flex into the width of the kiteboard, the drive rail is 8 times stiffer than the offside rail . For the first time ever we mixed convex with concave and shaped a highly precise under/top shape . We developed a construction system unbreakable at an impressive 2 kilo weight, positioning a 2 kilo board for landings is extremely precise. The most important development not yet achieved by any shaper in kitesurfing , the secret how to create genuine, send it high pop . The secret is a careful combination of materials , shape and varying flex areas along the width and the length of the kiteboard. We guarantee you shall jump higher than any other twintip on the market today."

And construction.

"The Prototype's Carbon Laminates , hand built in Tarifa , use individual components to create stiffness and flex in specific areas . The technique in laminating involves hand laying 15mm strips in key positions , the most time consuming is the drive rail layup. The drive rail consists of 250 individual strips at 90 degrees to each other and at 45 degrees to the main carbon weave . To control Torsion and unwanted bend in the water dynamics a 55mm X format is laminated on top of the entire layup. The layup for the top and bottom laminates are identical , within this system the graphics are positioned and sublimated with fine S-Glass fibre's ."

http://www.nomadkiteboarding.com/index- ... nomad.html

As you can see the Nomad is no ordinary kite board. Can't wait to get out on the smaller of the two in some big winds!

That is some sweet and technical layup.. I love it. And will borrow some ideas for the my next build.
Dear I ask the buy price of such a sweet custom board.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 am

Nico wrote:TT get no priority whatsoever in the waves at our home spot. You gotta use the right tools for the conditions.
Nico

Nico wrote:

It means that he has a huge lagoon where can have fun on with his twin tip and that on the peak in the waves he has absolutely no rights to priority rules. Simple.
Nico wrote:Birkbeck, get a surfboard mate.
Get used to controling it 100% on flat water
Nico

Just a minute....
In your elitist and segregated part of the world you must not ride TT's in the waves. TT's must be resigned to a flat water lagoon.

Going by this snobbery type theory surfboards have no place in flat water lagoons.

You should not be able to practice any surfboard jybes in the lagoon because it is the wrong tool for conditions. You will have absolutely no rights.

Also if I want to practice my twin tip lagoon moves should I do that in the middle of the impact zone in the surf? Once I perfect my moves in the surf should I take it back to the lagoon?

What if I am on a mutant board that is neither a surfboard or a twin tip?
Am I segregated from both zones?
or can I ride both zones freely?
Can I use a surfboard that is laminated like a twin tip construction?
Is this acceptable or will I be punished by the cool elitist police?
What if I have a surfboard constructed twin tip? where can I ride this?
What if I ride my surfboard like a twin tip?

There is no room for this type of elitist snobbery in any sport.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Well I would bet I could ride as good as most strapless on a SB. But the question I have is who is having the most fun? I can tell you which one if have the most fun on.

And yet I still do enjoy kiting with my buddies on SBs and none of us claim to have nay further rights than each other. Especially when they know I can kill em dead if I decide to blow the cobwebs of my surfboard!!

Careful with your elitist position nico...I ride TTs and makos because I prefer them not because I can't and I know a lot do crew who do the same.

Return to “Kitesurfing”