Overall Bridal Stretching?

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Overall Bridal Stretching?

Postby NYKiter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:42 am

Not sure what the blue bridals are doing, but I suspect they are stretching, unlike the Plines as you mentioned that shrink. Next time Im bored I will get the old ones out and compare the lengths. I am running stainless rings on all my REV's Plines as well. Must be a reason why no one uses the blue bridal through the pulleys. The bridle must be less flexible because it is merely a jacket with strands on the inside. :naughty: Hoping someone can comment on the makeup of bridal lines... :)

romkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby romkite » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 am

NYKiter wrote:Not sure what the blue bridals are doing, but I suspect they are stretching, unlike the Plines as you mentioned that shrink. Next time Im bored I will get the old ones out and compare the lengths. I am running stainless rings on all my REV's Plines as well. Must be a reason why no one uses the blue bridal through the pulleys. The bridle must be less flexible because it is merely a jacket with strands on the inside. :naughty: Hoping someone can comment on the makeup of bridal lines... :)
Ah .. so you did not actually noticed any difference in length between the old and new bridle (blue lines). I thought you built up a new bridle system based on some specs from SS. But where did you get the new bridle from then ? Any idea where I can get the specs ?

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:59 am

It's been my experience that any line that goes through a pulley will shrink.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:57 pm

sflinux wrote:It's been my experience that any line that goes through a pulley will shrink.

You mean stretch, eh?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:12 pm

The plines shrink.

No I didnt create my own bridle...but I probably should. Bridle can be purchased from the SS website. Have not found the specs...nor any code deciphering document for the new bridle labels...put it on wrong and flew it..thing was all fucked up...for those who purchase a new one the codes from the center are LE1, LE2, A3, B, LE4 ...(.the back Pline and down line labels fell off so I dont know the name).

romkite
Medium Poster

Postby romkite » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:46 am

NYKiter wrote:The plines shrink.

No I didnt create my own bridle...but I probably should. Bridle can be purchased from the SS website. Have not found the specs...nor any code deciphering document for the new bridle labels...put it on wrong and flew it..thing was all fucked up...for those who purchase a new one the codes from the center are LE1, LE2, A3, B, LE4 ...(.the back Pline and down line labels fell off so I dont know the name).
ok, I got the specs from SS. Did some measurements on octane 9m & rev 2 9m, both of which have 100++ sessions. No stretch, no shrink. The "A3", which is the other spectra with the pulley, I measured 190/191 cm, where it should be 192 cm. No issue here to me, that's very far from the 20+ cm shrinking we can get on the p-lines.

My guess NYKiter is that it is only the new p-lines that gave you the feeling of a new kite. It might be interesting though that you take some measurements on your side to confirm.

cheers

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:55 am

A3 is the front pulley line. Did you measure your other rear pulley line?
I think your right, the performance for me came from the rear P line replacements..

romkite
Medium Poster

Postby romkite » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:05 am

NYKiter wrote:A3 is the front pulley line. Did you measure your other rear pulley line?
I think your right, the performance for me came from the rear P line replacements..
We both know the p-line issue, no need to measure that one which I changed 2 days ago. I think this post was about the other lines of the bridle. Quick answser: "no, they don't stretch or shrink".

Edit: I am only talking about SS rev2 & octane 2010. I just realised the title doesn't specify any brand.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 am

Caesar wrote:
sflinux wrote:It's been my experience that any line that goes through a pulley will shrink.

You mean stretch, eh?
Do a search on an article by Armin on this Forum, he explains that Spectra/Dyneema does not stretch... it shrinks. Armin explains how. This is consistent with my experience.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 am

sarc wrote:
Caesar wrote:

You mean stretch, eh?
Do a search on an article by Armin on this Forum, he explains that Spectra/Dyneema does not stretch... it shrinks. Armin explains how. This is consistent with my experience.
Cool, you learn something every day (even though it is hard to believe unless you boil the lines in 95°C water).
Does anyone have that link? I did a search but could not find anything. Thank you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”