Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Line Mount; Is center line safety still functional?

Forum for kitesurfers
SparD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Re: GoPro Line Mount; Is center line safety still functional

Postby SparD » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:59 pm

I have this same line mount. I use it with a cabrinha 2013 bar that flags on the two front lines. I have used the safety with the mount in place, no problem, it worked as supposed. I think it will be the same on every bar that flags on the two front lines.

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nick14 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:13 am

@CaptainArgh the footage from just the two rubber stoppers on the static line is great no wobble or shaking. I have my mount about 50cm above my swivel and it does help to untwist the lines most of the time. I have had it twist above the mount but i would assume my swivel was not working to its fullest at that point. I do have a rule that i dont take it out in scetchy gusty conditions .

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:10 pm

nick14 wrote:@CaptainArgh the footage from just the two rubber stoppers on the static line is great no wobble or shaking. I have my mount about 50cm above my swivel and it does help to untwist the lines most of the time. I have had it twist above the mount but i would assume my swivel was not working to its fullest at that point.
That's good to know. Thank you.
nick14 wrote:I do have a rule that i dont take it out in scetchy gusty conditions .
Yeah...that'd pretty much describe the first conditions I have ever used it in. :oops:

It's good to know that the Cabrinha bar safety (and other safeties that use both front lines) seem to be relatively good to go with the line mount, but I don't see myself buying a new bar or kite just for this. While it would take more thought than I'd have in an emergency, the SS bars do still have the flag out oh-shit handles on the outside lines. I guess I could reach up, hold on to one of those, and then dump the entire kite if things got dicey and the mount got hung up on an initial safety deployment.

mrgole
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby mrgole » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Does this Comrig line mount fit for new GoPro Hero 3+ ?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:33 pm

mrgole wrote:Does this Comrig line mount fit for new GoPro Hero 3+ ?
I believe they have a new one for the gopro3...I bought one used on ebay from a guy who upgraded gopro and old one doesn't work any more.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:56 am

Video talks about this safety issue....he suggests just one of the green plugs be used, only on the static side for single line flagging kites.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:34 pm

juandesooka wrote:Video talks about this safety issue....he suggests just one of the green plugs be used, only on the static side for single line flagging kites.
I tried this, with marginal results.

The benefit, of course is that your leash line does slide freely. No problems there.

The problem is the side is so loose that it is easy for the camera to drop off the lines when you are launching your kite or any time those lines or slack. It can also easily get tangled when slack. The footage was half good and half shaky. Having that one end loose (no plugs) let's it vibrate in certain line/wind conditions.

I probably won't try this again. I suppose when I use the mount I'll just rig my safety suicide and if shit hits the fan I'll have to dump the bar and grab one of the outside oh-shit handles to flag it out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”