Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you practice tricks going both directions?

Forum for kitesurfers
slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do you practice tricks going both directions?

Postby slim_charles » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:51 pm

edt wrote:
slim_charles wrote:
edt wrote:if you compete you have to learn both ways because switch scores higher
Really? This doesn't make sense to me or I've misunderstood. How can the same trick executed identically be scored differently?
all tricks are graded on difficulty and if you are riding switch it adds to the difficulty dont ask me i dont make up the rules
I disagree, from a judges point of view the trick is still the same whether is approached regular or goofy... reckon your talking out your ass this time.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:08 pm

slim_charles wrote:from a judges point of view the trick is still the same whether is approached regular or goofy... reckon your talking out your ass this time.

tks for the comment slim c. im definitely not a judge, i just repeat what I read in the rules from the PKRA. If you say it don't matter I believe you.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Slim_c: edt is right. Same on snowboarding.

Flow is more visible in snowboarding maybe but counts for kiting also. Doing tricks switch needs more skill from the rider and makes things look more smooth than swapping the stronger foot forward all the time.

But back to the topic:
I have same issue also. Been riding for few years, only jumping left foot forward. Now I notice that core is a bit imbalanced. Right side of abs and lower back are more stuck. Affects alot to whole body. Starting to train jumping goofy. It feels so clumsy and I bet when body gets used to that also it will make jumping to any direction better.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster

Postby slim_charles » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Turbaani wrote:Slim_c: edt is right. Same on snowboarding.

Flow is more visible in snowboarding maybe but counts for kiting also. Doing tricks switch needs more skill from the rider and makes things look more smooth than swapping the stronger foot forward all the time.
I'm not sure but i think all tricks are judged individually in pkra. I dunno, i'm still not buying it... how would the judges determine when they're switch? I'm goofy, some tricks i can only land regular. It makes more sense in skating/snowboarding because your not forced to learn both but not in kiting.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:06 pm

slim_charles wrote:
I disagree, from a judges point of view the trick is still the same whether is approached regular or goofy... reckon your talking out your ass this time.
What if there is a guy that tricks on both sides constantly/equally and another guy who only throws tricks on one side? which one do you score higher? Which one is more skilled?

slim_charles
Frequent Poster

Postby slim_charles » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:55 pm

plummet wrote:
slim_charles wrote:
What if there is a guy that tricks on both sides constantly/equally and another guy who only throws tricks on one side? which one do you score higher? Which one is more skilled?
The guy going both ways is obviously more skilled but if tricks are judged individually it's irrelevant. I'm sure someone who knows will pipe up and explain soon enough...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:18 am

Luckily the times of switch tricks are over on PKRA!
They used to count, but not anymore. as mentioned before, they judge each trick individually now.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster

Postby slim_charles » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:41 am

Toby wrote:Luckily the times of switch tricks are over on PKRA!
They used to count, but not anymore. as mentioned before, they judge each trick individually now.
Thanks for clarifying, figured it was bs.

bullet
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale
Favorite Beaches: ainsdale
Style: landboard freestyle
Gear: peter lynn aero
CKB board
Brand Affiliation: PETER LYNN KITEBOARDING
Has thanked: 0

Postby bullet » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Toby wrote:
bullet wrote:im really surprised that toby only tricks in one direction. a freestyler should be able to trick on every tack and even multiple tricks per tack. if youre in a comp then your opponent will be doing twice as much as you while you just waste time
I am not a freestyler and do comps for fun.

And I don't want to bore people with the same tricks to the other direction...rather a different one to the same ;-)

My philosophy, everyone has theirs, and this is good!
I totally get what your saying but if you could do every trick both ways then you don't have to repeat them, you could just do more. if its a cross shore wind and you only do your tricks on the tack out to sea then, the visual entertainment for the spectator is less.

Return to “Kitesurfing”