Favorite Beaches: Guincho - Portugal
Style: Wave Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter
Brand Affiliation: (None) IFKO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advance Kites - Kaiman4 10mts

Postby 50knots » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 pm

After receiving the new Advance Kaiman4 10mts I tested the kite and made this Review.
Hope that helps to get to know better this kite:

Review Advance Kaiman4 10mts

The Advance Alligatoridae family evolved...

For 2011 the brand brings a proposal of kite like the kaiman3 but optimized ... seems like a sweet ... but refined!
[attachment=1]DPF_11OUT_3.JPG[/attachment]
The reference of Advance in Kaiman4 10mts is keeping the kite profile as an instinctive use, high range of power, immediate response to command and easy ride.
To improve the Kaiman3 was no easy task and increase performance without losing the qualities always requires hard work. The option was to be made a small difference in the design of the trailing edge pronouncing the Delta shape, quite enhanced in conjunction with the results of changes in the attachment points of the bridles. The result arrived at a more energetic kite, more powerful, more direct when in power and a slightly faster to cross the window, without losing stability, upwind and ease of use.

For those who know kaiman3 and are going to fly the kaiman4 will have immediate feeling of continuity imposed by the manufacturer ... the kite kept his profile, and only when we begin to demand hard, will note differences. When we “work” hard the kite and demand it to rotate on the bottom, it responds faster and with more power on its way up. This is clearly the most significant difference in kaiman4. The kite has more power when going up and it gives a fastest spin on its self (pivot) when in power, which allows anyone who has more experience, to be able to ride with less wind than the K3. This feature is also explicit in the jump, the K4 has more lift ... more "bumper" feeling, more acceleration on the lift. In high winds (> 25knots) the K4 10mts seemed a little more challenging, not because it has less depower but because it is more energetic, requiring more skill in the command of the bar.

The Re-launch was already a strong point of these kites and now it is even easier ... the kite is out of the water faster and requires less technical skill to do it.
The performance in the Strapless discipline or on-shore surfing was improved... the kite turns better without power and rises more quickly with no need to worry so much to keep the bar away when coming down on a Wave.

The Loop became more fast, this is more evident on waveriding in lightwind conditions… in this field I noticed the performance increased, the downloop already reminded me the 8.5 and the work of the kite in a more traccioned surf was a little more faster and easier. If we go by pure surfing, without the power of the kite on the harness, still feels even more different because the kite turns faster without tension on the rear lines.
[attachment=0]DPF_11OUT_2.JPG[/attachment]
In the Bar, the evolution is minimal ... and if my Review to 2010 bar was not very favorable, to this bar I didn’t see major developments and solutions. It has now a double depower cable that comes with stopper (3cm) to take more cm of the original course. The strap remains somehow soft, sometimes sliding, losing the memory of adjustment. In the 5th line, which only makes safety without structural functions, is now associated with the chicken-loop in a piece that gives the possibility to drop in pressure. In use, the bar pressure is the same ... but it felt a lightly lighter when the kite is in power without ever lose the position of the kite. We hope this bar evolves soon...

In the small differences, I noticed the substitution of pulleys by anti-friction ceramic rings, more functional but let's see if not more friccional to the bridle. Deflate valve is still small and did not help to easily deflate sizes above 10mts. The inflation is done by a no-return valve... much easier to inflate the smaller sizes.
In the cutting of the pieces, we have different panels in the canopy, the “K” symbol is no longer painted, it is now a tissue on the canopy with a notable backlight. In my point of view, the new color scheme is stronger, modern and it will remain with an “update“ look till the end of the season.

The Carry bag has changed a lot, there was concern with the needs of kitesurfer but the dimensions have been reduced ... can please some and displease others who like to carry everything “generously”.

Resuming, the K4 10mts has improved performance and approved as being a quality kite, good performance, ease of use, safety and superb skill of multiuse kite. Fully serves the needs for the common rider starting and the most experienced in the evolution Freeride / Waverider / big-air / maneuvers and up-wind. Still requires a lot of work from the manufacturer on the bar that didn’t became less functional but can be greatly improved and updated. It has on its forthcoming a all season time to give evidences and if it is like its predecessor's the commercial success is guaranteed. Finally, one positive point for a new dedicated section to Kaiman4 on the importer and manufacturer sites.
[attachment=8]Red Devil_5_peq.JPG[/attachment]
This Review was made based exclusively on my experience with kaiman, I have 100kg and used directional board (strapped and strapless) over six sessions. I had the opportunity to test it with light winds (10knots), strong (up to 30knots), and strong gusty (10-25knots dense), small sea and easy, and even with strong sea on difficult conditions. It was a total of about 20 hours of testing.

Guincho, 26 OUT 2010
Diogo Paes
Attachments
DPF_11OUT_2.JPG
DPF_11OUT_3.JPG
KAIMAN4_GUINCHO_2.JPG
Red Devil_3.JPG
Red Devil_3.JPG (145.73 KiB) Viewed 7171 times
Red devil_7.JPG
Red Devil_4.JPG
Red Devil_8.JPG
Red Devil_2.JPG
Red Devil_2.JPG (166.19 KiB) Viewed 7171 times
Red Devil_5_peq.JPG

poldo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Advance Kites - Kaiman4 10mts

Postby poldo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Diogo, thanks for the full review and the GREAT shots! :thumb:

I'm a Kaiman fan, using a 7m 2008 (sweet kite!) and a 10m 2010 (amazed by the great range!)

I've been to Portugal in August but not in Guincho, kited in Viana and Figuera

I've a question about the setup: in waves do you use the shorter lines or with full lenght? do you use a system to deploy the 5th line (I was thinking to upgrade Adw bar putting a wave-granade like slingshot)

about bar i like so much the current setup, not really understand why you want it to be changed. I prefer a bar like this evolved during years but not changed too much every year.

looking forward to test myself the new Kaiman... :bye:

50knots
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Guincho - Ericeira - Portugal
Favorite Beaches: Guincho - Portugal
Style: Wave Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter
Brand Affiliation: (None) IFKO

Postby 50knots » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi poldo!
I may use lines in full lenght or without extensions... depending on the conditions and size of the kite.
However when riding high winds (5 or 6mts) always take out the extensions.
I use a Advance personalised bar without 5th line... I don't ride with leash however in hard conditions I use a QR system push&go (Underwave) to the leash line.

I think the bar needs stronger cables, better floters, another kind of depower strap, grip for fingers, bigger depower rope and more details :wink:

If you ever come back to Portugal and visit Lisbon send me a pm to sail together :thumb:

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Diogo, thanks for the reply!

Coming from 3 days kitesurfing with my 7m 2008 and 10m 2010 with surfbaord and small waves and really liked again the kites! so big windrange (particularly lowend) and good bar feeling (tried other kites but not all have a similar behaviour)

Interesting your opinion about the bar, for sure using the Kaiman always in waves 5th line is not so useful, whereas I like this safety feature (only have to add a detachable 5th line connection) and I like to have the 5th line a bit under tension (seems to me the kite fligth even better). About the other bar stuff: for me depower strap and lines are ok (I find lines are way better than other brand lines, rigid and no stretch, but perhaps is due to my light weight) I quote about the depower rope is a bit thin but as soon it's worn I would replace it (it's so easy) with a stronger rope (as Ozone one). But I'm sure that Advance would improve the kites and bar next year as did every year till now. :wink:

I've been in Portugal this summer but kited in Viana and Figuera, and kited 1 day in Guincho 3 years ago. Still a not-so-easy spot when the wind is blowing! for sure I'll PM when come there again! :D

incompreendido
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Matosinhos, Leça, Ofir
Gear: Advance Kaiman 4 2011

Postby incompreendido » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Hello my friends,
I need your help, recently bought a kite advance kaiman 4 (2011), I don't find a manual.
I want put a five line, and i do not know how to do.

You can help me?

Thanks,
José Lamelas

zlokot
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurf Boost 15, Ozone Edge 8

Postby zlokot » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Hello all

Looking for replacement bladder for Kaiman 4 10m.

incompreendido
what is the problem with 5-th line ?
you should have bar with 5 lines - 2 of them are yellow with red and blue tip.
next 2 - are grey - there are power lines
and the last - black - this is 5-th line - for belay.

Return to “Reviews”