2 Broken Kite Lines - 1 session?

Forum for kitesurfers
njrider
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

2 Broken Kite Lines - 1 session?

Postby njrider » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:25 am

I just bought a new Naish Universal Kiteboarding bar to replace my used 3 year old bar. On the second session on this bar, I broke 2 lines. I have been riding for about 10 years and never had this problem before. When the lines broke I was looping the kite and had a slight pull on the line (in the total normal range) and then bang my bar and lines in a total mess. In any case, I know that Naish makes decent gear so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but just wanted general feedback from other riders. Has this ever happened to you?

Video showing the issue:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: 2 Broken Kite Lines - 1 session?

Postby edt » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:36 am

I am always suspicious of a line break that happens near the kite because that is exactly where knots naturally form by accident. As I'm sure you know any knot in the line reduces line strength by 50% (except for q-powerline). How exactly are you shortening your line? From the video looking at the other line it looks like you are tying an overhand loop and then lark's heading that loop.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:54 am

EDT...good point. I have had lines in the past that did get knots in them and in some cases that were to difficult to get out, so i left them. I rode those lines in some cases for 2+ seasons without issue. This bar is 2 weeks old and I know the lines were perfect condition because I just added pig tails and inspected them. I should add that if you look at the video, the center lines are the same diameter and thickness as the steering lines. Some manufacturers make these thicker....I guess to avoid this type of problem?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:04 am

njrider wrote:EDT...good point. I have had lines in the past that did get knots in them and in some cases that were to difficult to get out, so i left them.
You can't do that brah. Knots kill your line. It's that simple. And it's dead easy to remove knots. I will sit at the launch and chew the knot for about 5 minutes, boom it unlocks. If I'm at home I'll tap it gently with a hammer until the knot releases.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:07 pm

I have always wondered if using your teeth or hammer does more damage to the line than the original knot?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:31 am

njrider wrote:I have always wondered if using your teeth or hammer does more damage to the line than the original knot?
It never does more damage to the line to undo the knot. If you leave an overhand knot in the line with 600 pound line you should expect it to break with about 250 pounds force.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:03 pm

who/what is makes the strongest lines?

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:49 pm

Thickness can't be the problem. I ride Core kites, the lines are by far the thinnest I've ever seen. My old ESP bar lasted 5 years in my hands. I sold it to a friend who's still using it without any issue. The only negative with thin lines is that if they're tangled is more difficult to work them out.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:16 pm

njrider wrote:who/what is makes the strongest lines?
http://www.kiteboarding.com/proddetail. ... ro_lineset

The finest lines on the market today. Only hassle is factory lines can have funky front and rear line lengths as well as stopper balls or "loops" for safety lines.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:55 pm

Update...the news from kiteboarding.com is that Naish is sending me replacement lines. Great, but I'm still not comfortable using these stock lines. That being said the little informations that I can find about the lines on the Naish bar is that they are rated to 600lbs. This is the same as the powerline stuff. Is this possible?

Return to “Kitesurfing”