Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does a Lift foil fit into an Acura MDX assembled?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peckdave
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Deer Creek, Maui, Los Barriles
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Strapped surf, new foiler
Gear: Naish pivots, SS Screamer, MHL Lift on Alien Air
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does a Lift foil fit into an Acura MDX assembled?

Postby Peckdave » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Strange question, but I'm shopping for a new (old) car--2004-2006 Acura MDX--and want to be able to put my SS Alien Air and 2016 Lift foil into the back without taking the motherscratcher apart every session. Anyone have this car and know if that setup would fit? I haven't had access to that model year MDX yet (tried it in a new '17 and it does not fit without KY jelly). Thanks!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Does a Lift foil fit into an Acura MDX assembled?

Postby BWD » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Push harder!
But your gear would be much happier in a creeper van.
You know you want one.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:23 pm

If you have surf in your veins you need a van.

I had a sports carts before my beloved van, and I used to look the coolest when going to the club, but not much worth for anything else.

Get a van and you'll never look back. :thumb:

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Not an exact answer, but: I put my 100 cm mast ketos with xl wing and Takoon board in a Prius no problem. Nose of board goes in back passenger side first, guide nose of board out back of car then slide foil into car, slide whole thing back forward in the car so that I can close the hatch. Love not feeling guilty about driving 150 miles round trip to the surf. My SUV uses 3 times the gas.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:21 am

I easily put my Taaroa foil with a 100 cm mast and my 150 cm Mikes lab board fully assembled in my 2008 Acura MDX.
CG
Last edited by cglazier on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:57 am

opie wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 pm
Not an exact answer, but: I put my 100 cm mast ketos with xl wing and Takoon board in a Prius no problem. Nose of board goes in back passenger side first, guide nose of board out back of car then slide foil into car, slide whole thing back forward in the car so that I can close the hatch. Love not feeling guilty about driving 150 miles round trip to the surf. My SUV uses 3 times the gas.
With Prius they already burned the gas (coal actually) to power the factory that made the battery, and the coal burned plus efficiency losses to heat at every step is at least equal your gas savings.
But at least you don't have a tesla -bigger battery, manufacturing it is like driving a v8 gas motor 200000 miles in terms of energy (coal/gas).
and then more fuel is burned to charge it every time...

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:14 pm

BWD wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:57 am
manufacturing it is like driving a v8 gas motor 200000 miles in terms of energy (coal/gas).
Source?? Manufacturing any car is energy intensive, and then they go spewing exhaust for a decade or so.

Fear mongering wont stop the world from changing.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Source?? Manufacturing any car is energy intensive, and then they go spewing exhaust for a decade or so.

Fear mongering wont stop the world from changing.
Neither will kissing your own arse, to be blunt, or patting yourself on the back, to be polite.

Source:

http://www.ivl.se/download/18.592228171 ... eries+.pdf

It ain't fear mongering to point out it takes a lot of work to turn rocks into a high performance battery, from mining and refinement through fabrication and assembly.
In regions where Li batteries are made this work is done by utilities using coal, natural gas, and uranium.

If someone builds a Li battery factory run off solar and wind or hydropower alone, that would be an incredible thing, but the lead time and financing mean that transition to renewable (and someday, lower cost) energy sources for grid electricity will probably have to be led by the utilities and not by individual manufacturers. Progress on this is happening, with new solar and wind projects appearing regularly. It's gonna take a while though. Until then it's a reality that every kWh used driving a battery vehicle must be replaced by another generated with existing grid technology, which is obviously still mainly combustion driven.

Of course, you could charge your tesla only in daylight hours with solar.
Or wind. But then you might need a ride to the kite spot with someone else, 'cause when it's blowing your car is charging.
Last edited by BWD on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Could you get a roof rack? Is there some kind of height barrier at your beach?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:14 pm

OT and not really wanting to start a war, but its not as clear as your claim.

For one, your paper makes no mention of "driving a v8 gas motor 200000 miles". It does say in their conclusion:

"Today there is no economic incentive for recycling of lithium-ion batteries, but by placing the correct requirements on the end of life handling we can create this incentive. Coupling this type of actions with support for technology development both in battery production processes and battery recycling can ensure a sustainable electric vehicle fleet".

As in, more hybrid/electric cars sold, more economic incentive for recycling lithium-ion batteries. Way to go opie!

If your going to count the energy costs and emissions incurred with mining, refining, and manufacturing of batteries, you kind of have to include the mining, refining and transport energy costs and emissions incurred in getting that gas for your v8, and not just what's incurred from burning it.

To the OP

Get a ratchet set. A couple bolts and your foil will fit in a Ferrari.

Return to “Hydrofoil”