Style: waves
Gear: Switch Kites
Brand Affiliation: Switch Kites Ambassador
Has thanked: 0

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby effisk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:02 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:14 pm
Yes, I do. With the modified deck, I have only buckled one board. It cracked just beyond the 3/4 layer of cloth. My front slipped too far forward and I came down too hard. It just buckled the top of the board, so I put a big strip of gorilla tape on it. I still ride that board today with the tape on it. My buddy has his FST boards modified the same way and I don't believe he's buckled one yet. I just got a FST Nano on craigs and had it modified as described. I have a vanguard in kite construction with the same volume. The vanguard feels twice as heavy.
thanks. Do you do the work yourself? I've had a couple of firewire boards reinforced (fst and timbertek) that way and always had delamination issues.

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave SST 9m, 7m, 5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', FW EVO 5'3''
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Al_Kiter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 pm

I have completely destroyed two Firewire FST boards kiting in waves without ever doing a single jump. Their decks just completely delaminated under the front foot and both boards buckled. The second board had 2 4oz patches under both feet and the only difference is it took a few more sessions to delam. The blanks used for FST surfboards are only 1lb while the Kite FST boards use 1.5lb blanks. I believe this makes a huge difference since the boards delam because the 1lb blank compresses too easily and the pvc sheet detaches from the blank.

I still surf with FST boards and find them great (never tried Helium). I just don't kite with them anymore reinforced or no. I sometimes Kite with my Timbertek baked potato in very light winds, but I'm extremely careful with my feet (especially the front) and I suspect I'm gonna ruin it eventually.

I never heard any rumors about Firewire discontinuing FST and would be extremely disapointed if they did. The FST construction with the parabolic rails makes for great surfboards if you know what you're looking for. The Helium construction is lighter but much weaker. I Wouldn't advise anyone to use them to Kitesurf and neither does Firewire.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:18 am

I have a local shop do it for $80. They are the best surfboard repair shop in San Diego (at least IMO). They've been modifying our boards for the last 6 years or so. I still get the big foot wells in the front, but that's it. I have only had 1 Sweet Potato delam in the front foot area(after modified). I noticed it when I took it out of my board bag on a really hot day. I also had a Dominator in FST that was only surfed a dozen times before I found a some delam on the deck. Now, I try not to expose those boards to too much heat. I face my board down when it's on the beach, leave the zipper open when it's in the bag, and never leave it in a hot car. I think Firewire FST's are more prone to delaminate than other boards(or maybe just epoxy in general). My buddy's Firewire completely delaminated on top when he left his board in his car on a hot day. I have never seen a PU board do that. Bummed about the FST's. Have to say bye-bye to my $250 FST's on Craiglists. :(

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:31 am

In the meantime, I'm going to pick up a few FST's for cheap since there yesterdays news. That Nano was only $220. :D Has anyone ridden that shape or one like it? I'm dying to take it out. Trying to decide thruster or quad, leaning towards thruster.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:29 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:49 pm
iblocalsurfer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:45 am
@ Topmick,
I might have been mistaken. A friend of mine who owns a surfshop told me Firewire was discontinuing the FST for Helium Tech only. In hindsight, I'm wondering if he just meant the Sweet Potato(now Chum Lee). Do you know if they are discontinuing the FST construction?
The Sweet Potato and Chum Lee are different boards
The Chum Lee is a thinned/stretched out version. We were talking over a line of people(he was having a big sale). I could have misunderstood, but I thought he said they were not going to be making the Sweet Potato any longer. That's my favorite board for light wind. :heartface:

tao189
Rare Poster
Gear: nugget 5'2 2015 csc
rsc supreme 5
Been thanked: 0

Postby tao189 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:58 pm

martino86
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Allround
Gear: Ozone Enduro, Lieuwe Shotgun, Firewire Evo

Postby martino86 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm

I think the Chumlee could be really nice for lightwind. So anyone kiting on standard Helium construction?

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:45 pm

I just picked up a 5'7 Chumlee in Hteck for a groveller to go with a 5'3 Hteck Evo.
It's much lighter than my 5'3 Hevo, don't think I'll kite it as the Evo goes great in light wind.

effisk
Medium Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Switch Kites
Brand Affiliation: Switch Kites Ambassador

Postby effisk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:24 pm

I eventually sold my Evo, did not like it much. i'll try to find a vader in Helium tech.

balboa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Araruama Lagoon
Cabo Frio
Favorite Beaches: Lagoa do Sal, Sao Miguel do Gostoso - Rio Grande do Norte, BRA
Praia do Foguete, Cabo Frio, BRA
Style: Allround & Surf
Gear: Switch Element 3, 9m, 11m
Cabrinha Drifter 12m
Core XR3 10m, 7m
Norte Rebel 7m
FireWire Vanguard 502 Kite

Postby balboa » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:35 am

See if you guys that tried different Tomo models can help me with Evo sizing.

With 78kg (5'10''), the VG 502 has been working fantastically well for me in the last year, either in 12kn as in +30kn. I use my VG mostly in chopy, weak mushy waves no higher than 3'.

Now I want to try more cleaner, powerful +5' waves. I want to actually surf them, w/ the less anount of help of the kite, using it just to upwind me back to the spot. I'm looking for a more snappier board than the VG. Don't get me wrong, the VG is super fun and versatile. But given all comments I read so far, the Evo seems to have what I want.

However, my 502 23l VG falls just in between the 2 closest Evo alternatives : 19l and 24.5l.

Which size to go? The 410 or the 501 Evo?
Last edited by balboa on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”