Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Re: Chinese KB Hydrofoil : 300 USD + shipment

Postby Jzh_perth » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Just wanted to chip in about the Takuma design that I have bought- it is an excellent foil to learn on. In fact - the kite school I will be teaching at will be using them. The Takuma design is the slowest and most stable foil on the market, but that is also its Achillies heel. It’s a versatile SUP foil that works with a kite, but it’s not a kitefoil per se. So if you want something slow and easy to learn and eventually ride waves on, or if you want a Hydrofoil you can Sup or sort as well as kite with - we think it’s perfect. But if you want a kitefoil that offers amazing lightwind performance, massive upwind angles, and high speeds you should avoid the Takuma design and buy a dedicated kitefoil, ideally a Race foil. I’ve had plenty of race foils and still ride a Zeeko Green and white for most foil sessions, having moved away from race foils for General freeriding, but you may need to take that journey yourself. Hit your local shop up for demos - that what we are here for.

stasfire
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: 2023 Duotone Rebel SLS 7m (future)
2022 Duotone Evo SLS 9m (9m Evo Dlab in the future)
2023 Duotone Rebel SLS 12m (future)
2021 Dutone Jaime SLS 136
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby stasfire » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 pm

spork wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 pm
Deals like the Happy Foil for $500 come up here and there. But you have to jump on them. I do think you'll have a much better time starting this way. I've got a buddy with the JNJ foil that asked me to test ride it for him because he didn't yet have enough experience. I thought it was a good setup, but not ideal for beginners.
Great thank you, will look for a cheap beginner setup and maybe update to that in the future.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:18 am

hehe jumping in on the fun finally pulled the trigger.

Word to the wise. literally i signed up to aliexpress just to purchase this. Be patient and get ready for the ride of your life trying to buy something there.

I'm sure most of you are experienced with the process. But for those of us that are not. If your card and ship to dont match get ready for a headache it will get flagged and you get to start the appeal process (its preventing fraud by opening you up to full on identity theft.)

it takes a few days to get passed this, but the really shady part i'm still nervous about is you have to submit a photo id, picture of the actual credit card and bank statement. I blocked my picture and covered most of the credit card number. Dont forget to call your bank and warn them what your doing. Customer service is like talking to your dog they wag their tail but have no fucking clue what you are talking about completely utterly useless. If a claim is needed im sure the process is 10 times more painful. :roll:

The other part whatever you do dont open multiple orders WAIT for the appeal and escalate it as many times as you can i did it 4 times and got it finished in 2-3 days. there is a sale going on for another few days for 5% OFF and JNJ is only allowing 2 transactions per customer this ends at the end of this month (its only 5%). if you exceed that with payment failures you cant purchase that item. I wanted the carbon one but ended up with the painted black one because of the shitstorm caused by opening and deleting orders trying to use more then one card(more shady shit)

The good part is the seller is nice and will keep answering your questions. I begged him to glue the mast plate on so we'll see how that goes. there certainly is a language barrier more with the worthless customer service chat thingy not the seller hes been very gracious during this painful process.

As soon as it shows up and there isn't ice on the water I'll try to report back on the ride. I got the higher aspect carbon foil JNJ looking forward to seeing how it performs. there are 2 that look alike one is painted black over carbon and the one i wanted that i fucked up buying was the actual carbon looking one like tegrinshi got.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.
Been thanked: 0

Postby liv2surf » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:53 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 pm
I had 4 sessions on JNJ, and would agree that it is not the most beginner friendly setup. For now I'm back learning basics on Rocket foil.

BTW, it seems that the other vendors on aliexpress got the message and the competition is now on!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-ne ... 64234.html
I wonder how much does it weigh (the package weight is 5.5 kg).
I also wonder what the foil weight is (since the shipping weight is 5.5 kg).

Also, can people on this thread tell how the shape of above linked AlibabaExpress Rupel foil differs from this one: download/file.php?id=80311&mode=view from thread (viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2397227). My sense is that this foil (AlibabaExpress Rupel in the post I am responding to) is smaller than the foil (in the other thread; which is like Takuma Concept). It seems that the Rupel foil above resembles the Naish Thrust foil? -- front wing seems smaller than Takuma. Thoughts?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Craz Z wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:18 am
hehe jumping in on the fun finally pulled the trigger.

Word to the wise. literally i signed up to aliexpress just to purchase this. Be patient and get ready for the ride of your life trying to buy something ...the one i wanted that i fucked up buying was the actual carbon looking one like tegrinshi got.
Wow, bizarre. I have bought stuff on ali express and never had an issue. Could you pay by PayPal and avoid all this? Aliexpress is supposed to be easy consumer friendly, with alibaba more difficult.

Re black one ... someone earlier in the monster thread bought same one as you. I think they posted positive review....same one just painted. It won't affect how it rides!

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:24 am

Yeah I don't know what happened was expecting amazon type website and felt like i just left a whore house.

Paypal certainly is an option if the seller sets it up that way. I was hoping that was the case but it wasn't.

Cards western union or cash. Their was another function I almost went for and that was buying some aliexpress gift cards for cash with your debit card but there is definitely no recourse on that one. I researched this is how drop shippers on ebay get their goods moving while under the appeal process. I think all in all it was a decent transaction and hopefully safe. I looked at alibaba and was nervous but i think Cimi sports did offer paypal.

Yeah the ride should be the same 37$ extra if you want the carbon fiber look.

The seller did message me and glued on the mast plate. He wanted to keep this open if you want a short mast option. The idea is you can chop it off and glue it yourself if your interested in shorter masts. My thoughts where with such a medium/high aspect ratio you better know how to ride that type of wing before buying it. I have no use for short mast foils, unless maybe i lived somewhere like the outter banks or shallower waters i'd take some off, but still love the long masts even when learning wasn't a big deal at all.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:41 am

stasfire this looks like a great deal to me. It's the same board I learned on and still use. I've got a couple hundred sessions on mine.

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/30071

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:24 pm

What??? 600 for a used foil fish board! That thing is heavy, plastic, and has very little nose rocker.

30 second search finds better options new.

https://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/collecti ... -kiteboard

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Yes it's heavy. No, it's not plastic. And your better option doesn't include a foil.

knotmyfault
Medium Poster

Postby knotmyfault » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:43 pm

[/IMG]
Last edited by knotmyfault on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”